Buying camera gear in Singapore

Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Montecore

Default Buying camera gear in Singapore

Anyone know of some shops selling camera gear (new and used) in Singapore?

I've checked out that website which recommends places in the Peninsula
area - was looking for some recommendations and possibly, a fw store
websites/phone numbers.

Need to buy Canon 30/4L IS, 70-200/4L, 24/2.8, Gitzo CF tripod and some
various little knick-knacks. Am willing to go used.

Wont be back in the US till June, and since customs in India is 50%,
having stuff shipped to me is a big no-no... so that rules out the
friendlies at B&H and Adorama.

--
Vandit Kalia
this space for rent

Old November 23rd, 2003, 03:25 AM
Manny Bhuta

My friend from Singapore had recommended the following stores:

Allan Photo
Cathay Photo - supposed to be better by email.

Manny Bhuta
Randolph, NJ USA

______

Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:13 AM
Edwin Lau

Avoid Lucky Plaza shops, they tend to be costier than elsewhere since it
is catered primarily to the tourists crowd.

Try Cathay Photo in Peninsular Plaza, you could always drop them an
I-quotation via their website and get the necessary pricing. Then just print
and bring that quote to the store and they will have to sell you at that
pricing.
http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/

The other shop to go is John 3:16 in Funan Centre which is just across the
road. They are quite reasonable people.

Edwin

Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:22 AM
Scott Howard

In rec.travel.asia Manny Bhuta wrote:
My friend from Singapore had recommended the following stores:

Allan Photo

Very good. Ground floor of Sim Lim. Spent far too much money there

Cathay Photo - supposed to be better by email.

Get a quote from their website, then go in and get a quote in person.
The website qoute will be less than the shelf price in the shop, and will
act as a maximum price to aim for.
Their store in Peninsual Plaza (ground floor) seems to give lower prices
than the one in Marina Square.

I'd also add "John 3:16" to the list. Located at Funan. Sam is the person
to talk to!

In general walk around Peninsual Plaza and Funan, plus maybe Sim Lim, and
get a feel for yourself. Be careful - some of the shops are less than
honest. If you're buying kit of some form make sure that everything that
is supposed to be there really is. It's not uncommon to find that
rechargeable batteries have been replaced with non-rechargable ones, or
that memory cards are smaller than they should be...
Also watch out for places who quote prices not including GST (3% extra -
more about that below).

Be careful, know what you should pay and what you should get, and you'll
get a good deal.

Presuming you're leaving Singapore by air (don't think you can do it
overland?) you can get most of the GST back when you leave the country.
Just make sure that you get a tax receipt when you purchase (the retailers
will have all the details).

Scott
Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:24 AM
PhilD

"Edwin Lau" wrote in message
Avoid Lucky Plaza shops, they tend to be costier than elsewhere since it
is catered primarily to the tourists crowd.

Try Cathay Photo in Peninsular Plaza, you could always drop them an
I-quotation via their website and get the necessary pricing. Then just

print
and bring that quote to the store and they will have to sell you at that
pricing.
http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/

The other shop to go is John 3:16 in Funan Centre which is just across the
road. They are quite reasonable people.

Edwin

You could also try some of the shops in Sim Lim Plaza (not to be confused
with Sim Lim Tower nearby) near Bugis MRT station, if you have to buy in
Singapore. But be wary of alternate lenses that may be packaged with it and
probable lack of overseas warranty. You could also drop over to Johor and
check out shops there.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:28 PM
ravenhil

without a doubt, i recommend John 3:16 at Funan Centre. It is located at the
3rd level. It is the one shop that you can buy stuff without fear of getting
ripped off. They are consumers as well as distributors, so they won't give
anything less than honest opinions about certain products.

Old November 24th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Don

Montecore wrote:

Anyone know of some shops selling camera gear (new and used) in Singapore?

As others already mentioned, Cathay Photo. Numero Uno.

Don

Old November 25th, 2003, 02:16 AM
low

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:28:34 +0800, "ravenhil"
wrote:

without a doubt, i recommend John 3:16 at Funan Centre. It is located at the
3rd level. It is the one shop that you can buy stuff without fear of getting
ripped off. They are consumers as well as distributors, so they won't give
anything less than honest opinions about certain products.

honest and singapore don't belong in the same sentence.

Old December 1st, 2003, 07:21 AM
Montecore

Thanks to all for the replies.

I ended up buying a 24/2.8, a Gitzo 1227, a FOBA Superball and a FOBA
mini superball - most from Cathay, the 24mm from Lucky Plaza.

I did not, however, buy the 300/4, the 70-200/4 or the 10D as the prices
were WAY too high. It would have been cheaper for me to fly into the US
and purchase these lenses and fly back to Singapore! (well, almost).

--
Vandit Kalia
this space for rent