America's Cup shore excursion

Old January 15th, 2005, 01:30 PM
chris

Default America's Cup shore excursion

Looking for input regarding America's cup shore excursion in St Martin.
Thanks
Chris

Old January 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Gregory C. Read

It's a blast. I've done it three times and will probably do it again in
April. You become part of the crew and can chose a "job" as difficult as a
"grinder" (cranking a winch as fast as you can) or as easy as being a
"serving wench" (handing out drinks to everyone else). Or you can elect to
just go for the ride. The idea is that your boat will race against another
boat in a two or three lap course.

These boats are ones that have actually raced in the real "America's Cup"
races and they really fly across the water, although one of the three times
was a little less exciting because there was very little wind, but we still
had fun.

--
Greg
lid

Old January 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM

At dinner onboard, after our day in St. Marten, I about choked when the
older couple at our table said they had done that excursion. The wife
couldn't walk distances. Had to be wheelchaired thru the dining room to our
table each night....she had been the "timekeeper" on the race boat. I
cannot remember what the husband did...he was more mobile. They are both in
their early 70's. Made me wish I had gone!

Old January 15th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Charles

In article ,
wrote:

.she had been the "timekeeper" on the race boat. I
cannot remember what the husband did...he was more mobile. They are both in
their early 70's. Made me wish I had gone!

In addition to the timekeeper there is someone who hands out sodas. But
even the jobs like grinder. You can choose to do that for a very short
time. There are enough on the excursion that the crew jobs can be a
team effort.

--
Charles
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:31:21 GMT, Gregory C. Read wrote:

It's a blast.

Sure is and there are places on the racer that you have to do nothing at
all excpet sit there and be pretty.
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:30:39 -0500, chris wrote:

Looking for input regarding America's cup shore excursion in St Martin.
Thanks
Chris

Make sure you ask them to take the wheel. They will let you on the way
back. Extremely sensitive at the rudder.