Schengen zone passport control

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Default Schengen zone passport control

I'm flying from Vancouver to Budapest in June. First leg is YVR-FRA on
Condor, a four hour stopover, and onward to BUD on Lufthansa. The
flights are on a single ticket.

The last time I did this there was no passport control until I arrived
at BUD, but that was before Hungary was in the Schengen zone.

I'm curious how passport control works in this situation now that
Hungary is in the Schengen zone. Will I get my passport stamped in
Frankfurt, and then have no passport control when arriving in Budapest?

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 28.04.2010 22:19, schrieb Király:
I'm flying from Vancouver to Budapest in June. First leg is YVR-FRA on
Condor, a four hour stopover, and onward to BUD on Lufthansa. The
flights are on a single ticket.

The last time I did this there was no passport control until I arrived
at BUD, but that was before Hungary was in the Schengen zone.

I'm curious how passport control works in this situation now that
Hungary is in the Schengen zone. Will I get my passport stamped in
Frankfurt, and then have no passport control when arriving in Budapest?

No, you are in Frankfurt transit. You will enter the Schengen zone in
Budapest.

Josef

--
Keine Sicherheit ohne Schäuble:
GNUPG/PGP-Key unter http://www.josef-kleber.de/pgp/Josef_Kleber_News.asc

Old April 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Josef Kleber wrote:
No, you are in Frankfurt transit. You will enter the Schengen zone in
Budapest.

I am more inclined to believe Mr. Hyman's response, but just in case you
are correct, I have another question. Flights arriving from outside
Schengen use terminal 2B at BUD. My FRA-BUD flight presumably will
arrive in Budapest at terminal 2A, which is used only by flights
arriving from within Schengen.

So how will they separate me for passport control at terminal 2A, from
the rest of the passengers on that flight who were already in Schengen
before they left Germany and won't need to go through passport control?

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 28.04.2010 23:11, schrieb Király:
Josef Kleber wrote:
No, you are in Frankfurt transit. You will enter the Schengen zone in
Budapest.

I am more inclined to believe Mr. Hyman's response, but just in case you
are correct, I have another question. Flights arriving from outside
Schengen use terminal 2B at BUD. My FRA-BUD flight presumably will
arrive in Budapest at terminal 2A, which is used only by flights
arriving from within Schengen.

So how will they separate me for passport control at terminal 2A, from
the rest of the passengers on that flight who were already in Schengen
before they left Germany and won't need to go through passport control?

Sounds like you have to leave transit in Frankfurt, so you will enter
Schengen zone in Frankfurt. If your connection flight would be to
Istanbul you would not be allowed to leave Frankfurt transit, because
you would quite likely dön't have a Schengen visa.

Josef

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alexander Arnakis[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:29:23 +0200, Josef Kleber
wrote:

Am 28.04.2010 22:19, schrieb Kir?ly:
I'm flying from Vancouver to Budapest in June. First leg is YVR-FRA on
Condor, a four hour stopover, and onward to BUD on Lufthansa. The
flights are on a single ticket.

The last time I did this there was no passport control until I arrived
at BUD, but that was before Hungary was in the Schengen zone.

I'm curious how passport control works in this situation now that
Hungary is in the Schengen zone. Will I get my passport stamped in
Frankfurt, and then have no passport control when arriving in Budapest?

No, you are in Frankfurt transit. You will enter the Schengen zone in
Budapest.

When I fly from the U.S. to Athens, changing planes in Frankfurt, the
one and only passport control is in Frankfurt. Passengers whose final
destination is in the Schengen zone are routed out of transit, through
passport control, and into the "domestic" side of the airport.

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Alexander Arnakis wrote:

I'm curious how passport control works in this situation now that
Hungary is in the Schengen zone. Will I get my passport stamped in
Frankfurt, and then have no passport control when arriving in Budapest?

No, you are in Frankfurt transit. You will enter the Schengen zone in
Budapest.

When I fly from the U.S. to Athens, changing planes in Frankfurt, the
one and only passport control is in Frankfurt. Passengers whose final
destination is in the Schengen zone are routed out of transit, through
passport control, and into the "domestic" side of the airport.

About 10 years ago I travelled to Europe with my brothers. We made
connections at Schipol. They were going on to Hamburg and I flew on to
Denmark. They went through passport control at Schipol but I did not do
that until Copenhagen. A few years later, my wife and I flew to Hamburg
with a connection at Munich. We went through passport control at Munich.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Thanks for all the responses. It appears that passport control will be
in Frankfurt, which is what I suspected.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.