you can take a day trip to downtown richmond, VA, by amtrak!

Old May 11th, 2007, 10:52 PM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default you can take a day trip to downtown richmond, VA, by amtrak!

-- from DC, that is.

There are still far too few trains stopping at the newly restored
Richmond Main Street station (downtown), which was shut for nearly 30
years, but you can catch a southbound at 7:30 am (arriving 10:12 a.m.)
and catch a northbound back to DC at 5:30 p.m. It enables you to
spend the day visiting the Museum of the Confederacy, the American
Civil War Center, and the restored state capitol. They can be done
with the help of the city bus system! All can be down comfortably in
that time span.

You can just say no to the pollution machines that the sheeple insist
on driving. Go to Richmond by train and enjoy the sights on foot or
by bus.

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill[_10_]

And there's the Poe Museum, which I enjoyed when I visited back in
February 2005. Also, a walk east on Broad Street to the Chimborazo
Medical Museum will take you through a good-looking late-19th century
urban rowhouse neighborhood.

When I took the train back in the evening, I was kind of annoyed at
the paranoid officiousness of the station personnel. There were only a
few of us passengers, but we weren't allowed out onto the spacious,
empty platform to wait. They lined us up on a little bridge between
the waiting room and the platform, where we stood for about 10 or 15
minutes (which seemed much longer), all crammed up against each
other's baggage. It seemed needlessly lousy.

Other than that, though, I agree with you that Richmond makes a good
Amtrak daytrip. Many sites are walkable from the station.

-- from DC, that is.

Old May 19th, 2007, 02:55 AM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Barnacle Bill the Sailor

On May 11, 5:52 pm, wrote:
-- from DC, that is.

It enables you to
spend the day visiting the Museum of the Confederacy, the American
Civil War Center, and the restored state capitol. They can be done
with the help of the city bus system! All can be down comfortably in
that time span.

You can just say no to the pollution machines that the sheeple insist
on driving. Go to Richmond by train and enjoy the sights on foot or
by bus.

As for being trooped out to the platform to wait, the Engineer of the
incoming train calls station security about a mile out to ready boarding
passengers. Occasionally he has to stop out of station, (lots of freight
moving around, Main Street Station is in Richmond Terminal limits after
all) and his arrival is then delayed how ever unexpectedly so.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill[_10_]

Still, I can't see why they don't just let people wait out on the
platform before the train comes. There are many Amtrak stations at
which, if it's a nice day, you can choose to wait for the train on the
platform and are not kept cooped up in the waiting room by an official
(eg, Saratoga Springs, Williamsburg, Fredericksburg, Rhinecliff,
Manassas, Lancaster, Ticonderoga; indeed, most of the nonterminal
stations I've used). I wonder what conditions at Richmond Main Street
prevent(ed) this.

There seemed to be only one door from the waiting room to the
platformOn May 18, 9:55 pm, Barnacle Bill the Sailor
wrote:
As for being trooped out to the platform to wait, the Engineer of the
incoming train calls station security about a mile out to ready boarding
passengers. Occasionally he has to stop out of station, (lots of freight
moving around, Main Street Station is in Richmond Terminal limits after
all) and his arrival is then delayed how ever unexpectedly so.- Hide quoted text -

Old May 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Barnacle Bill the Sailor

wrote:
As for being trooped out to the platform to wait, the Engineer of the
incoming train calls station security about a mile out to ready boarding
passengers. Occasionally he has to stop out of station, (lots of freight
moving around, Main Street Station is in Richmond Terminal limits after
all) and his arrival is then delayed how ever unexpectedly so.- Hide quoted text -

MMM, Good point, but possibly, it's because the platform is twenty feet
up in the air, and there is no safe place to stand if you should wander
out onto the viaduct. Of course YOU wouldn't dare, but some thoughtless
someone might.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:42 AM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
RSweeney

wrote in message
oups.com...
-- from DC, that is.

There are still far too few trains stopping at the newly restored
Richmond Main Street station (downtown), which was shut for nearly 30
years, but you can catch a southbound at 7:30 am (arriving 10:12 a.m.)
and catch a northbound back to DC at 5:30 p.m. It enables you to
spend the day visiting the Museum of the Confederacy, the American
Civil War Center, and the restored state capitol. They can be done
with the help of the city bus system! All can be down comfortably in
that time span.

You can just say no to the pollution machines that the sheeple insist
on driving. Go to Richmond by train and enjoy the sights on foot or
by bus.

Not that I don't enjoy railroads and railroad travel.
And my father, his father, and then his father worked on the RF&P.
And that I have many times enjoyed riding in a locomotive on the RF&P from
Richmond to Pot Yard (back in the days before lawyers, where the small sons
of railroad men could do such things with their Dads).

But.

The fact that a handful of regional Amtrak trains make TWO stops in Richmond
(city population 190,000) is one of the reasons Amtrak loses money - too
much political influence.

I calculated the cost/loses on the RichmondNewport News Amtrak line last
year. As I recalled, we would be better off to buy each rider a new Buick
for the trip to Richmond's Staples Mill Rd station and just stop the trains
here.

Old April 1st, 2008, 04:29 AM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
YosemiteSam

On Mar 31, 8:42*pm, "RSweeney" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

You by chance related to the Sweeny who worked at BP?

Old April 1st, 2008, 04:37 AM posted to alt.railroad,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
RSweeney

"YosemiteSam" wrote in message

You by chance related to the Sweeny who worked at BP?

No... sorry.