ferry travel,Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island

Old March 10th, 2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Poptop

Default ferry travel,Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island

I am planning a trip to western Canada. Am considering fly to
Vancouver, Via Rail to Jasper
then Via Rail to P. Rupert. At Prince Rupert get on a ferry to
Vancouver Island & travel overland to Victoria.Can I get some advice
on this itinery?
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

Poptop wrote:
I am planning a trip to western Canada. Am considering fly to
Vancouver, Via Rail to Jasper
then Via Rail to P. Rupert. At Prince Rupert get on a ferry to
Vancouver Island & travel overland to Victoria.Can I get some advice
on this itinery?

Via Rail leaves Vancouver at 17:30 and arrives in Jasper at 11:00 the
next morning. You will miss the best mountain scenery because it will
all be in darkness. It's a fine modern train, but if you are expecting
spectacular views of the mountains along the way, you will be
disappointed.

If you want to experience the mountains in daylight, Consider flying in
to Calgary instead, and take buses into Banff and onto Jasper. Via Rail
from Jasper to Prince Rupert is quite spectacular, and all in daylight,
as the train stops overnight in Prince George. This trip is well worth
it.

Then you can catch your train to Prince Rupert, and the ferry down to
Vancouver Island. There are daily bus connections from Port Hardy to
Nanaimo and Victoria, from where you can get back to Vancouver for your
flight home.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 3/9/08 9:35 PM, in article 9U2Bj.75073$FO1.24471@edtnps82, "Király"
wrote:

Poptop wrote:
[...]

You can take the Rockie Mountaineer from Vancouver to Calgary. It is
entirely in daylight and you stay in a hotel overnight.

--
Martha Canada

Old March 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote:

Poptop wrote:
[...]

Its also VERY expensive. A far more cost effective method
is to hire a car. Its also very nice to be able to stop and
explore a little along the way and its an easy 2 day drive
taking you through spectacular scenery in Yoho and Glacier
national parks.

Keith

Old March 11th, 2008, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Poptop wrote:
I am planning a trip to western Canada. Am considering fly to
Vancouver, Via Rail to Jasper
then Via Rail to P. Rupert. At Prince Rupert get on a ferry to
Vancouver Island & travel overland to Victoria.Can I get some advice
on this itinery?

Hope you have time to wait for the once a week ferry.

Just back from Port Hardy.

Old March 12th, 2008, 06:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

Eugene Miya wrote:
Hope you have time to wait for the once a week ferry.

Twice weekly service is starting April 4. Full service (3 or 4 sailings
a week) starts May 19 and ends at the end of September.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gerrit

"Poptop" wrote in message
I am planning a trip to western Canada. Am considering fly to
Vancouver, Via Rail to Jasper
then Via Rail to P. Rupert. At Prince Rupert get on a ferry to
Vancouver Island & travel overland to Victoria.Can I get some advice
on this itinery?

Others have advised about the merits of train travel.

We did a car rental from Edmonton to Vancouver a few years ago. (Edmonton
because we had friends there we wished to visit)
We then drove to Calgary to visit other friends and thence via Banff, Lake
Louise, Jasper, to Smithers. A week later from Smithers to Prince Rupert
thence by day time ferry (the old Queen of the North) on the last trip of
the year to Port Hardy. Then drove Port Hardy to Victoria and ferry to
Vancouver area.

This was a wonderful trip (except for the Edmonton to Calgary bit which was
fairly boring.
The ferry trip was magic, but then we had a cloudless day. My brother has
twice done the trip but had rain both times.

Thoroughly recommend the round trip but only by car!!

Gerrit - Oz

Old March 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Mar 12, 3:33 pm, "Gerrit" wrote:
"Poptop" wrote in message

[...]

Hi All,

We also discarded the rocky mountain train because is really
expensive... so we are planning a drive round trip similar to yours.

Our plan is to start next 10th June a 14 day round-trip:

Vancouver- Penticton
Penticton-Revelstoke
Revelstoke-Banff
Banff-Jasper
Jasper-Prince George
Prince-George- Smithers
Smithers-Prince Rupert
Prince Rupert by ferry to Port Hardy
Port Hardy to Campbell River
Campbell River-Victoria
Victoria-Vancouver

Do you think it's to large to do in 14 days?
Must we reserve the ferry ticket now, or we can wait until some days
before the date?
Tomtom 6 GPS maps for this area are precisse ?

Any suggestion ?

Many thanks!

Joan
Barcelona
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote in message
On Mar 12, 3:33 pm, "Gerrit" wrote:
"Poptop" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds about right. I've been all over that route.

Old March 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
On Mar 12, 3:33 pm, "Gerrit" wrote:
"Poptop" wrote in message

[...]

You could do Prince George to Prince Rupert in one day
fairly comfortably and spend the extra day elsewhere

Prince Rupert by ferry to Port Hardy
Port Hardy to Campbell River
Campbell River-Victoria
Victoria-Vancouver

Do you think it's to large to do in 14 days?
Must we reserve the ferry ticket now, or we can wait until some days
before the date?
Tomtom 6 GPS maps for this area are precisse ?

OK but a little odd. Last year mine kept insisting the roads
in some areas were 100m left of where I was driving

That seems likely to be a surveying issue as in towns and
more developed areas they were fine, and thats were you
really want GPS

Keith