How are gasoline prices in Canada quoted?

Old March 26th, 2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz

Default How are gasoline prices in Canada quoted?

Hi all,
Looking at a website such as www.torontogasprices.com, it's not
immediately clear how the prices are quoted. Am I right in thinking
that it's Canadian cents/litre? And if so, are prices generally
cheaper just over the US border?
thanks
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Graz wrote:
Hi all,
Looking at a website such as www.torontogasprices.com, it's not
immediately clear how the prices are quoted. Am I right in thinking
that it's Canadian cents/litre? And if so, are prices generally
cheaper just over the US border?

Yes, and Yes.

--
===========================
Sawyer Nicknames http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike from Ottawa[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:46:31 GMT, (Graz) wrote:

Hi all,
Looking at a website such as
www.torontogasprices.com, it's not
immediately clear how the prices are quoted. Am I right in thinking
that it's Canadian cents/litre? And if so, are prices generally
cheaper just over the US border?
thanks

It's cents/L. E.g., 105.9 is $1.059 per litre.

Prices have always tended to be cheaper on the US side. Taxes are
gouged at different rates in each province. E.g., Quebec's fuel taxes
are higher than Ontario's. Given the increased security & huge
line-ups to cross the border, it's up to you to determine if it's
worth the wait, or see if you can go across in an off-peak time.

It's still cheaper than in Europe, but we're getting closer.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_can_gastemperaturemap.aspx shows the prices
around Canada & also in the US.

A US gallon is about 3.8 L.

Old March 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

currently $1.07 per liter in Canada

in Niagara Falls US it is $3.21 a gallon or about $0.85 per liter

Old March 27th, 2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Graz wrote:
Hi all,
Looking at a website such as www.torontogasprices.com, it's not
immediately clear how the prices are quoted. Am I right in thinking
that it's Canadian cents/litre? And if so, are prices generally
cheaper just over the US border?

Yes, and Yes.

It's $1.215 in Vancouver.

--
Martha T2 Canada
1500mg. Metformin, 4mg. Avandia

Old March 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:37:58 -0400, Mike from Ottawa mev at tikaCANOE
dot ca wrote:

[...]

Thanks all. What I found particularly confusing was several
comparison websites showing US and Canadian prices - one set in US$
per gallon and the other as stated above.

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

dot ca wrote:

[...]

Don't forget that the U.S. dollar and the Canadian dollar are NOT exactly
the same--CDN dollar is currently trading just over 98 cents US. Also, the
U.S. gallon is equal to just UNDER 4 litres while the CDN gallon is approx.
4.54 litres. To further confuse matters, the U.S. gallon has 128 U.S.
ounces while the Canadian gallon has 160 IMPERIAL ounces. In other words the
U.S. ounce is a tiny amount LARGER than the Imperial ounce, while the
Imperial (CDN) gallon is substantially larger than the U.S. gallon. Pity!!

Old March 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
john smith

"Graz" wrote in message
Hi all,
Looking at a website such as www.torontogasprices.com, it's not
immediately clear how the prices are quoted. Am I right in thinking
that it's Canadian cents/litre? And if so, are prices generally
cheaper just over the US border?
thanks

In Oz the juice is $1.50 a Litre and up and down like a streetwalkers
nickers every week, Tuesdays it's normally around $1.40L.

Old March 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz

dot ca wrote:

[...]

I always thought a fluid ounce was a fluid ounce, but it appears you
are correct: 1 US fluid ounce = 1.041 British (and presumably
Canadian) fluid ounces.

Old March 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Wow

just came back from US (Niagara Falls NY) $3.239/gal you can look at gas
prices at www.wivb.com
$1.086 currantly in Hamilton ON

take care
Smiles