From Vienna by train..

Old May 31st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Derek F

Default From Vienna by train..

I am going to Vienna and had intended to do side trips by train to Budapest
and Prague.
It then occurred to me that I might be able to include Krakow in the
itinerary. Is it possible to include them all in a circular trip ? Is there
a site where I can get train times and will there be any fare reductions for
Senior Citizens or a travel pass that we can buy.
Do we need local currency in the Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary or do
they now accept Euro's.
On the Isle of Wight last week all the busses had signs saying that they now
accept Euro notes.
Derek.

Old June 1st, 2004, 12:47 AM
Leland Windreich

Depending on how long you may have, you can travel by train between the
cities you mentioned. I would suggest
Budapest/Vienna/Prague/Krakow/Budapest. (There are overnight expresses
between Prague/Krakow and Krakow/Budapest. Ask your travel agent to suggest
a route using the Cook European railway schedules.

You might investigate the Eastern European rail passes, though I don't
believe they include Austria. Your travel agent will know. You will
probably still need to use local currency in all countries but Austria.
Also check to see which may require visas for citizens of your country.

I would opt for first-class tickets on the trains, as travel may not be as
comfortable as you expect in the west. And the price will not be all that
much different.

Old June 1st, 2004, 02:30 AM
st

On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:47:19 GMT, "Leland Windreich"
wrote:

Depending on how long you may have, you can travel by train between the
cities you mentioned. I would suggest
Budapest/Vienna/Prague/Krakow/Budapest. (There are overnight expresses
between Prague/Krakow and Krakow/Budapest. Ask your travel agent to suggest
a route using the Cook European railway schedules.

You might investigate the Eastern European rail passes, though I don't
believe they include Austria. Your travel agent will know. You will
probably still need to use local currency in all countries but Austria.
Also check to see which may require visas for citizens of your country.

I would opt for first-class tickets on the trains, as travel may not be as
comfortable as you expect in the west. And the price will not be all that
much different.

I disagree. From my experiences in the Czech Republic and Hungary, the
trains are fine. Watch out for heating up WAY too high in Hungarian
trains though. Perhaps they're just naturally cold people.
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:49 PM
Derek F

wrote:

[...]

Do the train windows open? I always find that Continentals particularly
Germans do not like the windows open.
We had a hilarious trip on the Glacier Express when a Japanese man opened a
window and a German immediately closed it. This went on for most of the
journey and they were just about coming to blows. When the German got off
the Japanese triumphantly opened every window in sight to applause from his
countrymen.
Derek.

Old June 1st, 2004, 01:03 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Derek F" skrev i meddelandet
I disagree. From my experiences in the Czech Republic and Hungary, the
trains are fine. Watch out for heating up WAY too high in Hungarian
trains though. Perhaps they're just naturally cold people.

Do the train windows open? I always find that Continentals particularly
Germans do not like the windows open.
We had a hilarious trip on the Glacier Express when a Japanese man opened

window and a German immediately closed it.

Isn't Glacier Express usually running with air conditioned cars, thus you
can't open them contrary to those in the ordinary trains ?
Most modern European trains nowadays are ac so you can't open.
Don't think Germans are particularly against open windows but be seated just
behind an open window in full speed isn't very pleasant while those at the
window or before may benefit.

Old June 1st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Derek F

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message

"Derek F" skrev i meddelandet
I disagree. From my experiences in the Czech Republic and Hungary, the
trains are fine. Watch out for heating up WAY too high in Hungarian
trains though. Perhaps they're just naturally cold people.

Do the train windows open? I always find that Continentals particularly
Germans do not like the windows open.
We had a hilarious trip on the Glacier Express when a Japanese man

opened
window and a German immediately closed it.

Isn't Glacier Express usually running with air conditioned cars, thus you
can't open them contrary to those in the ordinary trains ?
Most modern European trains nowadays are ac so you can't open.
Don't think Germans are particularly against open windows but be seated

just
behind an open window in full speed isn't very pleasant while those at the
window or before may benefit.

It had windows that opened four years ago as did some of the other trains we
were on last year.
Derek.

Old June 1st, 2004, 08:05 PM
Dan McLean

It can be faster to go by bus between the capitals you mentioned, it is
certainly cheaper and most of the long distance buses are air conditioned.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:09 AM
st

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:49:08 +0000 (UTC), "Derek F"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I was on a train near Dusseldorf and the only seat was in a smoking
carriage. It was ridiculously smoky so I opened a window. It was
immediately closed and the Krauts gave me funny looks.