Jetstar grounds its late arrivals

Old July 30th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Anonymous

Default Jetstar grounds its late arrivals

SYD MH National: Jetstar grounds its late arrivals By Alexandra
Smith

June 2, 2004 Arrive just a few minutes late at the airport and your
Jetstar flight might not be so cheap after all.

The no-frills Qantas offshoot, which has been flying in the domestic
market for eight days, requires passengers to check in at least 30
minutes before a flight.

Jetstar's policy is that passengers who arrive after the 30-minute
cut-off will forfeit their ticket and have to buy another one for a
later flight.

"We have shown a level of flexibility so far and we are introducing
the policy slowly and educating passengers about why it is necessary,"
Simon Westaway, a company spokesman, said.

Only a handful of people had missed flights because of the check-in
policy since the airline's launch, he said.

However, a travel industry newsletter yesterday reported an incident
last week involving five passengers in Tasmania.

The five were booked on a 2.50pm Jetstar flight from Hobart to
Melbourne but were grounded when they arrived at the gate about 20
minutes before take-off, the Travel Daily said.

Mr Westaway said Jetstar's policy was aimed at achieving the quickest
possible turnaround times at airports.

"It means we can operate more sectors per week and we can have a more
cost-effective airline," he said.

Mr Westaway said passengers could pay for travel insurance if they
were concerned, but admitted there were very few exceptions to the
check-in policy.

"Everyone who travels has to get to the airport so people need to plan
for that," he said.

The policy, printed in Jetstar reservation advice, reads: "To help us
get your flight away on time, you must check in at least 30 minutes
before the scheduled departure. You will not be able to check in after
this time. Arrival after this time will result in you forfeiting the
entire fare paid."

A Virgin Blue spokeswoman, Amanda Bolger, said the airline allowed
passengers to check in right up until the flight closed, although it
discouraged people from leaving it that late.

"Sometimes people's watches may be a little different to the clocks at
the airport and although we like people to check in 30 minutes
beforehand we are very flexible," Ms Bolger said.

Qantas's check-in policy depended on a passenger's fare, said a
spokeswoman, Melissa Thomson. "If you have luggage, check-in closes 30
minutes before the flight but if you don't, check-in closes 15 minutes
before the departure time."

Jetstar yesterday opened its new base at Avalon, 55 kilometres
south-west of Melbourne and about 17 kilometres from Geelong. It will
be the base for 70 weekly services between Melbourne and Sydney and
Brisbane.

An airport shuttle bus to Melbourne will cost $12 per adult. #####
--multiplaza.nl.nu--