Souvenirs

Old May 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default Souvenirs

On 5/29/2009 12:03 AM Rosalie B. conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray
and said:
"Tom K" wrote:

"-hh" wrote in message

For the artwork, if one of us spots something we like, the spouse's
job is to challenge by asking "And just where are you going to hang it
up at home?" If we can't identify an exact location where it will go,
we skip buying it.

If the artwork is good enough.... replace something else. I do my own oil
paintings... when something new gets done, it replaces something old that
wasn't as good.

When I do a better painting, I make my kids take one of the less good
ones.

When I do an excellent or better photo - I sell it. When I travel I
collect T-shirts. I don't buy them as an "in your face" statement of
where I've been. I buy them because I think they are beautiful. I have
a few that I've never worn. It's because they are far to beautiful to
allow the vivid colors to be muted by several washings. Once in Key
West I bought two mens XX-L T-shirts. I made them into seat covers for
the front bucket seats in my car.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 5/29/2009 5:25 AM Lee conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray and said:
On Fri, 29 May 2009 03:54:17 -0400, Brian K
wrote:

allow the vivid colors to be muted by several washings. Once in Key
West I bought two mens XX-L T-shirts. I made them into seat covers for
the front bucket seats in my car.

Once, in my youth, I had a toyota starlet with black vinyl seats.
Another gent and myself 'won' some tank tops at an adult bar
in Tampa. I used those as seat covers on the seatbacks.

They were a huge selling point when a friend of mine bought the car.

Nothing says good used car like "Tops in Topless" shirts.

Mine were Key West cats wearing shades. I got them in the bargain bin at
the T-Shirt Factory on Simonton St. right next to Casa Antiqua. A word
of advice. When visiting Key West if you want a souvenir T-shirt shun
the T-shirt shops on Duval. The T-Shirt Factory across from the Old
Telephone Company building sells silk screened Ts, caps and
sweatshirts. The designs are by local artisans. Every seasonal cycle
they retire some designs and introduce new ones. Buying T-shirts there
supports local artists and economy. Sales of souvenir T-shirts on Duval
is by outside interests and the money doesn't go back to the local economy.

--
________
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

wrote:

[...]

Plus they are often scam artists and will make a T-shirt and then
inflate the price at the register and other tricks of that sort. In
2004 T-shirt shops were found guilty of scamming customers, failing to
give written estimates of costs, and telling them how much T-shirts
would cost after the work was done. Sometimes they would quote one
price for the work and then charge another price at the register. 37
out of 40 shops were in violation of the codes which are meant to stop
these practices and eight of them were found guilty in a special
master hearing in February 2004. Those shops are Smile Mon Inc., Smile
Mon II, Sun Island, Coconut Island of Key West, Sunset Sport, Inc.,
Paradise Corner, Sivan of Key West and the Pelican. They were barred
from making T-shirts for 10 days and fined $5000.00.