Domestic 747 flights anymore?

Old January 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
promojohn

Default Domestic 747 flights anymore?

I'm planning a family vacation. We're traveling from DTW to Hawaii and
I'd like to take a 747 if possible. Are there any carriers that use
747's anymore?

jp

Old January 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

"promojohn" wrote:

I'm planning a family vacation. We're traveling from DTW to Hawaii and
I'd like to take a 747 if possible. Are there any carriers that use
747's anymore?

Northwest used to bring one of their Asia Pacific service 747s into MSP on
certain flights, but I don't know if they still do or not.

The 747 isn't the best airplane in coach these days. You may be more comfortable
in another aircraft type.
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT

"promojohn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning a family vacation. We're traveling from DTW to Hawaii and
I'd like to take a 747 if possible. Are there any carriers that use
747's anymore?

I think that Qantas still uses 747s for some domestic flights. Lots of
carriers still use them Internationally.

JohnT

Old January 8th, 2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

I'm planning a family vacation. We're traveling from DTW to Hawaii
and I'd like to take a 747 if possible. Are there any carriers that
use 747's anymore?

Only if you want to go via Tokyo. Nobody flies 747s in domestic
service other than the occasional domestic leg of an international
flight.

The biggest thing you'll find between Hawaii and the mainland is 777
which UA flies from Chicago, Denver, and San Francisco.

R's,
John
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

JohnT wrote:

"promojohn" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm planning a family vacation. We're traveling from DTW to Hawaii and
I'd like to take a 747 if possible. Are there any carriers that use
747's anymore?

I think that Qantas still uses 747s for some domestic flights. Lots of
carriers still use them Internationally.

Does QF fly DTW to Hawaii?
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT

"Mike Hunt" postmaster@localhost wrote in message
. ..
JohnT wrote:

"promojohn" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm planning a family vacation. We're traveling from DTW to Hawaii and
I'd like to take a 747 if possible. Are there any carriers that use
747's anymore?

I think that Qantas still uses 747s for some domestic flights. Lots of
carriers still use them Internationally.

Does QF fly DTW to Hawaii?

I think that it is unlikely, unless they have a code--share arrangement with
American. The question was about domestic flights. See the title of the
thread.

JohnT

Old January 8th, 2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Larry

Most airlines are using 757's and 767's and 737's (Aloha & ATA) to the
islands these days. Since you are in Detroit, Northwest also has the Airbus
A330 that flies, most likely via MSP. If its the lowest fare you are
looking for, most likely it'll be one of the first 2 plane types.

oups.com...

Old January 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
O K

Admittedly off topic, but thanks for jogging my memory of the one and
only time I've been to Hawaii.... It was on a United Airlines tour in
June 1973.... Included was round trip airfare from Los Angeles to
Honolulu... by 747 both ways... I suspect the 747 was fairly new then...
maybe 2 or 3 years old at the most... Great airplane and memorable trip.

That's it for me on flying the 747... but I did get to experience the
other wide-bodied jets that were being used widely in the 1970s.... An
American Airlines DC-10 from Chicago to Los Angeles.... and a National
Airlines L-1011 from Tampa to Los Angeles.

Old January 9th, 2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
mag3 wrote:

The biggest thing you'll find between Hawaii and the mainland is 777
which UA flies from Chicago, Denver, and San Francisco.

Actually CO flies a 767-400 EWR--HNL

... which is quite a bit smaller than a 777.