London Weather

Old September 19th, 2003, 01:09 AM
peggy sue

Default London Weather

I am hoping to make my first trip to London in Nov. of this year. I
would like to know what the weather will be like. Is this a good time
of the year for tours and seeing the city/

peggy sue
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Deep Freud Moors

peggy sue wrote in message
I am hoping to make my first trip to London in Nov. of this year. I
would like to know what the weather will be like. Is this a good time
of the year for tours and seeing the city/

London is famous for it's lousy weather, and this will be approaching the
middle of winter. London tends to slow down in winter, and some of the more
touristy attractions may not be open.

Having said that, you will have no trouble in finding stuff to do there.
Just don't plan on doing too much outdoors!
---
DFM

Old September 19th, 2003, 03:51 AM
S Viemeister

Deep Freud Moors wrote:

peggy sue wrote in message
I am hoping to make my first trip to London in Nov. of this year. I
would like to know what the weather will be like. Is this a good time
of the year for tours and seeing the city/

London is famous for it's lousy weather, and this will be approaching the
middle of winter.

Since when is November the middle of winter?
Old September 19th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Charles Hawtrey

peggy sue staggered to the nearest keyboard
and wrote:

I am hoping to make my first trip to London in Nov. of this year. I
would like to know what the weather will be like. Is this a good time
of the year for tours and seeing the city/

It depends on your frame of reference. London somehow has gained a
reputation for bad weather but in reality its climate is and dry and
pleasant compared to most of the U.S.

For November, average daily maximum temperature is about 9C/48F,
average daily minimum temperature 4C/39F, average rainfall 57mm/2.2in.
That's quite mild compared to the central U.S., but coolish compared
to say, southern California.

Owing to London's latitude of 52N days will be short: on November 15,
sunrise will be at 07:18 and sunset at 16:12.

Old September 19th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Miguel Cruz

S Viemeister wrote:
Deep Freud Moors wrote:
London is famous for it's lousy weather, and this will be approaching the
middle of winter.

Since when is November the middle of winter?

Winter in London ends 365 days after it starts, so you can pretty much pick
any day and call it the middle.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Barbara Vaughan

and wrote:

I am hoping to make my first trip to London in Nov. of this year. I
would like to know what the weather will be like. Is this a good time
of the year for tours and seeing the city/

It depends on your frame of reference. London somehow has gained a
reputation for bad weather but in reality its climate is and dry and
pleasant compared to most of the U.S.

The amount of rainfall is not a good comparison for "raininess" between
two cities. Some American cities have high annual rainfall statistics,
but they tend to get that rain in infrequent downpours, while London
gets it in frequent drizzles. The total effect is very different.

I would advise that London in November is likely to be grey, chilly and
drizzly. On the other hand, I was there last November and it was mostly
very pleasant. One foggy, misty day out of four.

In addition to normal cool weather clothing, take a good rainproof
windbreaker with a hood, an umbrella, waterproof (perhaps Goretex-lined)
walking shoes, some warm wool sweaters, and a warm hat.

Barbara
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:15 AM
The Reid

Following up to peggy sue

I am hoping to make my first trip to London in Nov. of this year. I
would like to know what the weather will be like. Is this a good time
of the year for tours and seeing the city/

November is often a rather dull, cloudy, wet month, but not cold.
Expect daytime temp about 45F. Measurable rain on half the days.
November is your best chance of getting the fog that is supposed
to happen all the time here!
Remember UK weather is always unpredictable.

There is a poem here that goes:-

No sun, no light, no............................. November
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:15 AM
The Reid

Following up to Miguel Cruz

Since when is November the middle of winter?

Winter in London ends 365 days after it starts, so you can pretty much pick
any day and call it the middle.

But I seem to remember you actually like excessively hot weather?
Compared with continental Europe we escaped the worst of the
recent heatwaves, although a shower of rain would be welcome
after months of dry weather. In winter it rarely snows, the sky
is usually interesting for photography. Aircon is not needed.
Seems pretty good to me.
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:46 AM
The Reid

Following up to Barbara Vaughan

In addition to normal cool weather clothing, take a good rainproof
windbreaker with a hood, an umbrella, waterproof (perhaps Goretex-lined)
walking shoes, some warm wool sweaters, and a warm hat.

Most Londoners of course will make do with the umbrella or the
waterproof or the hat! :-)
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Keith Willshaw

"peggy sue" wrote in message
I am hoping to make my first trip to London in Nov. of this year. I
would like to know what the weather will be like.

So would we

Is this a good time
of the year for tours and seeing the city/

Yes , the weather may be wet and cool but is unlikely
to fall much below freezing and the tourists have all gone
home so most of the sights are much quieter.

Keith