North Carolina

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Kara H

Default North Carolina

New here. I'm Kara from Cincinnati. I was wondering if anyone else here
travels to the Outerbanks in North Carolina. It is becoming increasingly
popular. Has anyone ever been there or plan to go? I'd love to share stories
or insight and get ideas of new places to go, restaurants, etc.

-Kara.

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:13 AM
JD

I live in Chesapeake, about an hour north of the Outer Banks and my wife and
I go there several times a year. Lots of good restaurants, especially if
you like seafood. YOu can't go too wrong with restaurants, as the bad ones
go out of business pretty quickly. Weather here is breaking and soon the
OBX will be pretty crowded. If you can get here before Memorial Day great.
The best time is the week of Labor Day, as everyone is pretty well gone, the
hotel rates drop and the weather is beautiful.
You can drive from one end to the other in a very long day, so it isn't
overwhelming.
From the first flight at Kitty Hawk to where they caught Blackbeard the
pirate at Ocracoke, it is a really nice place.
Jackson

Old March 15th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Kara H

"JD" wrote:

I live in Chesapeake, about an hour north of the Outer Banks and my wife

and
I go there several times a year. Lots of good restaurants, especially if
you like seafood. YOu can't go too wrong with restaurants, as the bad

ones
go out of business pretty quickly. Weather here is breaking and soon the
OBX will be pretty crowded. If you can get here before Memorial Day

great.
The best time is the week of Labor Day, as everyone is pretty well gone,

the
hotel rates drop and the weather is beautiful.
You can drive from one end to the other in a very long day, so it isn't
overwhelming.
From the first flight at Kitty Hawk to where they caught Blackbeard the
pirate at Ocracoke, it is a really nice place.
Jackson

Awesome, JD! You definitely brought back TONS of memories. Our family has
been going for 35 years and we have watched the causeway go from a
free-flowing one-lane each way to a congested two lanes each way. We watched
all the original houses get turned into gorgeous mansions (which some love
to hate but we go as an extended family and we stay in them because we need
the space and amenities!)

We are going Easter Sunday for a week (just booked it last minute and the
rental company is working on getting the owners to open the pool early for
us!) and then again the 2nd week in August. We *might* be obsessed.

I asked because there's always something new to do there, or a new
restaurant to try and it was great to hear from you!

We have only gone in April once before and it was decent weather but
FREEZING on the beach (we're talkin' 3 sweatshirts, 3 pairs of sweatpants,
layers upon layers of socks on our feet and hands...but WORTH IT!)...I'm
assuming from the breeze coming off the ocean. Would you consider this
normal?

-Kara.

Old March 15th, 2004, 04:11 PM
paulrichmond

I went out to the outer banks about 5 years ago as an exchange student
working in a restaurant called Tomato Patch Pizza in Corrola. Great
pizza's and subs as I remember! We lived in Kitty Hawk and it is a
beautiful place - especially the beaches. You can book a flight on a
small by-plane at Kill Devil Hills which takes you up and down the coast
which is well worth doing. I was there when huricane Bonnie came
through which was certainly an experience I won't forget. I would love
to go back there some day and see how much it has changed - hopefully it
hasn't become over developed.

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:46 AM
JD

Yes it can be chilly in April but I don't know about 3 sweatshirts. Right
now it is 46 degrees and we have been wearing shorts & tee shirts now and
then. I think the pool will be cold, unless it is heated.

Here is a link I found that may help.
http://www.outer-banks.com/weather.asp
JD

"Kara H" wrote in message
"JD" wrote:

I live in Chesapeake, about an hour north of the Outer Banks and my wife

and
I go there several times a year. Lots of good restaurants, especially

if
you like seafood. YOu can't go too wrong with restaurants, as the bad

ones
go out of business pretty quickly. Weather here is breaking and soon

the
OBX will be pretty crowded. If you can get here before Memorial Day

great.
The best time is the week of Labor Day, as everyone is pretty well gone,

the
hotel rates drop and the weather is beautiful.
You can drive from one end to the other in a very long day, so it isn't
overwhelming.
From the first flight at Kitty Hawk to where they caught Blackbeard the

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:47 AM
JD

It has changed alot in 5 years.
There is a house that I heard had $750,000 in windows.
JD

Old March 17th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Kara H

"JD" wrote:

Yes it can be chilly in April but I don't know about 3 sweatshirts. Right
now it is 46 degrees and we have been wearing shorts & tee shirts now and
then. I think the pool will be cold, unless it is heated.

Hehe must have just been that cold that day then (I can't remember).
Probably just an off-week or something? YES- the pool is *DEFINITELY*
heated. The realty company just doesn't usually open all of their pools till
the 1st of May (all the others do the 1st of April- this one must be weird?)
and so they had to ask to owner if they would have the pool opened and
heated specially for us. They called back and said the owner agreed!

Here is a link I found that may help.
http://www.outer-banks.com/weather.asp
JD

Great! Thanks. 66* is definitely do-able. 58*-60* in the water though- WOW!
*That* is cold!

-Kara.