On my way to Bangkok.. long layover in Istanbul

Old January 31st, 2004, 04:11 PM
Matt Mason

Default On my way to Bangkok.. long layover in Istanbul

I am using my frequent flyer miles to pay for a business class round
trip ticket to Thailand. Unfortunately, bird flu hasn't caused the rash
of cancellations that SARS did. SO I am having a bit of trouble getting
a reservation (number of people using flyer miles to buy a ticket are
limited per flight).

I found out I can use Turkish air. The return flight works out well,
but the flight there has a long layover (12+ hours) in Istanbul. If I
take this route (assuming nothing opens up on Japan Airlines or Cathay
Pacific), what is there to do in that short time frame while in
Instanbul (thats not too far from the Airport).

thanks in advance...

Matt

Old January 31st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Sjoerd

"Matt Mason" schreef in bericht
news
I am using my frequent flyer miles to pay for a business class round
trip ticket to Thailand. Unfortunately, bird flu hasn't caused the rash
of cancellations that SARS did. SO I am having a bit of trouble getting
a reservation (number of people using flyer miles to buy a ticket are
limited per flight).

I found out I can use Turkish air. The return flight works out well,
but the flight there has a long layover (12+ hours) in Istanbul. If I
take this route (assuming nothing opens up on Japan Airlines or Cathay
Pacific), what is there to do in that short time frame while in
Instanbul (thats not too far from the Airport).

What time will the lay-over be? If during the day, just take a taxi to
Taksim Square, buy a good guidebook for Istanbul and you will have at least
8 hours in the city. Istanbul is a nice city with enough to do for 3-4 days,
so you shouldn't be bored with only 8 hours. Many nationalities need a visa
for Turkey, which for most Westerners is available upon arrival. Europeans
pay 10 to 20 euro, Americans 100 US$, don't know for other nationalities.
There is some information on
http://www.turkconsulate-london.com/visa.htm#ordinary

Sjoerd

Old January 31st, 2004, 10:45 PM
Mister Max

"Sjoerd" posted:

"Matt Mason" schreef in bericht
news
the flight there has a long layover (12+ hours) in Istanbul.
, what is there to do in that short time frame while
in Instanbul (thats not too far from the Airport).

Istanbul airport is quite close to the city. Rather than going to the
Taxsim Square, which is the heart of the modern city, I would go to the
old section, Eminonu, to see the Hagia Sophia, one of the worlds greatest
and most important buildings, the Blue Mosque across the square, and
Topkapi palace behind. Topkapi first, since there are (or were) entrance
limits to the seralgio. Also if you have time and stamina, the tomb
supposedly of Alexander the Great in the Archeological Museum next door.
- Max

--
MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
Old February 1st, 2004, 05:51 AM
Paul O

I agree with Max - take a taxi, bus or train into the Sultanahmet area.
Visit Blus Mosque, St Sophia or the Grand Bazaar. Topkapi Palace requires
more time (and costs the earth!!). Taxi fare back should be 20 - 25 million
TL.

If you are American a visa (stick in multi entry bought on arrival) is
expensive!! Reasonable for most other nationalities.

"Mister Max" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Sjoerd" posted: