buenos aires hostel question

Old July 21st, 2005, 02:34 AM
james

Default buenos aires hostel question

booked the tickets for late october and couldn't be more excited.

i am planning on staying at southern house hostel
www.southernhouseba.com

i also got a recommendation for archies place www.archiesplace.com.ar

both are in recoleta - any experience with either one? i heard archies
was more centrally located, but southernhouse and private bathrooms (no
biggie, just a perk) (is southern house close to subway line too)?

looking forward to exploring the neighborhoods, the san telmo market,
and did i mention i can't wait to go. i have eight days there not
including my travel times.

looking forward to the trip - and may do trip to uguaza (sp) to see
falls

thanks in advance

Old July 21st, 2005, 03:05 AM
clint

OH, mios dios, ochos dias! Que Lastima! Muy peligro con picpokers and putas!
Don't go out a noche! OH Dios, mis amigos!!!!!!!!!
ups.com...

Old July 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
John Cisarik

"james" wrote in message
ups.com...
booked the tickets for late october and couldn't be more excited.

i am planning on staying at southern house hostel
www.southernhouseba.com

i also got a recommendation for archies place www.archiesplace.com.ar

both are in recoleta - any experience with either one? i heard archies
was more centrally located, but southernhouse and private bathrooms (no
biggie, just a perk) (is southern house close to subway line too)?

looking forward to exploring the neighborhoods, the san telmo market,
and did i mention i can't wait to go. i have eight days there not
including my travel times.

looking forward to the trip - and may do trip to uguaza (sp) to see
falls

thanks in advance

My recollection is that NO part of Recoleta is served by the metro; I think
that the two hostels you are considering would be better described as in
Barrio Norte (not a specific named neighborhood, but a general "north side")
or perhaps Palermo, and I think that Palermo is only served by one of the
five metro lines, Line D.

The heart of Recoleta would be a little bit of a walk from either hostel
(remember, I'm doing this from memory), but the area is a pleasant one and
well worth walking through. Taxis are cheap in Buenos Aires, so location
isn't a prime concern; you can get anywhere in a relatively short time for
little cost.

If you have eight days not including travel times, you could fly up to
Iguazú and stay a night or two; the falls can be spectacular. If you like
city life, though, you may fall in love with Buenos Aires and not want to
leave.

Old July 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Tanguito

James
As a average argentinean I would like to suggest you not to take
Clint-s opinion as a gospel thruth. I spent ten years in USA and
several places are more dangerous and unfriendly that Buenos AIres.
I see that you are coming to a hostel. I siuggest you to contact me
next time, I have a couple of fully equipped apts, one close to San
Telmo, the other one close to Recoleta. Rates are affordable although
more expensive than at a hostel.
En joy your trip. If you need assistance in Buenos AIres drop me an e
mail
Ric
Ric

Old July 21st, 2005, 07:51 PM
james

don't worry i dismissed the above comment quicker than i read it
i've done my research and BA looks like a wonderfully modern city with
great history to explore. i'm intrigued by it and can't wait to go.

do you have any links you could send me regarding apartments? i
haven't made any reservations yet - but i'd like to stay somewhere
where i can easily chat with people (like hostel staff, or doorperson),
to get ideas and info (like renting bikes, point me in right
directions) etc. day to day...

i'm picking up a street map of BA tonite at a great local map store
here in denver

thanks both for the info! i'll probably be staying in recolata, just
trying to get a sense of scale for the city, etc.

also looking into a day or overnite trip to uguaza (see the falls).
what would be a good airline to look into? is it standard to make a
flight rez early for good rate? i don't want to cram too much into 8
days, but that sounds like a great side trip.

Old July 21st, 2005, 09:38 PM
Shaun

James,

The trip to Iguaz=FA (Iguaz=FA...learn it, know it, live it!) will
definitely be well worth it. When I went, I flew Aerolineas Argentinas
but there are a couple other choices as well. It's certainly at least
an overnight trip, though...banish the thought of a day-trip
immediately!

Buenos Aires is a GREAT city, and you are going to have a blast! I
recommend picking up something called a "Guia T de Bolsilla" once you
get there...they are 2 or 3 pesos at just about any newsstand, and they
will be invaluable as you navigate the extensive public transit of Bs
As.

Eat a bife for me!

Shaun

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Tanguito

Hi
I am not sure what teh real rates at ghostels are, they surely
arecheaper than apts and might be more fun if you are looking into
social interaction. As per our rates, I can offer you $140/week. This
apt is ten blocks far from San Telmo and I will be glad to assist you
with any question ragarding the city,tours and all that. Our other apt
($ 180/week) is just in the middle of the heart of the tourist
district, Florida St, walking distance from Avenida de Mayo, five
minutes bus ride away from San Telmo, with people everywhere around it
to give you advice or point you to the right direction. Argentina is
taking good care of tourists. In both cases the apts can accomodate
three people with privacy. Even if you are travelling along I would
appreciatre if you could pass this info to potential travellers. We are
all professionals that have lived in the states for a while. We will be
happy helping you during your stay to make it comnfortable, safe and
unforgettable!
Ric
Ps: Just do not skip going to Iguazu Falls! Wonderful view!!!

Old July 24th, 2005, 02:52 AM
wblakesx

I'm looking into BA dental care
( at Plenitas ). Cheap long stay options are interesting. I know almost
nothing ( perhaps less than nothing )
about the city, any good links?

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM
John Cisarik

"wblakesx" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking into BA dental care
( at Plenitas ). Cheap long stay options are interesting. I know almost
nothing ( perhaps less than nothing )
about the city, any good links?

Here's a link to the Web site of the city's tourism office:

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/turismo/index.php

If you have further questions, post them here and I'll answer them if I can;
I've been there several times and love the place.

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM
John Cisarik

"wblakesx" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking into BA dental care
( at Plenitas ). Cheap long stay options are interesting. I know almost
nothing ( perhaps less than nothing )
about the city, any good links?

Sorry, I checked the link after posting it, and it didn't work. Here's one
that does:

http://www.welcomeargentina.com/

Click on the English-language option, then on Buenos Aires after the various
pictured options appear across the top.