Nantucket Clipper and Yorktown Clipper

Old April 6th, 2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Nantucket Clipper and Yorktown Clipper

These two ships of the "Clipper" line have been part of Cruise West since
January although the acquisition was not loudly announced. The Yorktown is
presently en route to SF for much needed dry dock/rehab. I understand both
ships may be renamed slightly but continue to serve routes previously
followed.

Apparently most of the staff and crew of the ships were asked by Cruise West
to sign on and did so. The change of ownership is bitter/sweet for some
employees and some loyal clients of Clipper (Intrav).

Not to be confused with Royal Clipper Cruise Line which are real sailing
ships. The above ships are motor diesel.

We just returned from one week in Baja whale-watching on Yorktown. If you
want impressions or opinion, drop me an inquiry. I am not placing a review
but happy to chat with interested parties.

Overall, the area and ship are terrific if you get a price deal. If you pay
full book, I think this ship - the Yorktown - is not meeting the level of
other small ships equally priced.

However, based on Cruise West's history, I expect the quality to improve
substantially and I would expect the value will be very fair after some
shakedown.

John Bradford
former TA in MN