Arizona to-do's in December...?

Old October 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Arizona to-do's in December...?

I have been to Arizona before and loved it. My wife has never been.
We have a trip booked to fly into PHX in early december and stay 3 or 4
days in Arizona.
We have friends in North Arizona, just south of flagstaff, but we
havent heard from them lately so cant depend on them as our personal
travel guides.

I enjoy the Sedona, Jerome, Prescott areas and was hoping I could run
across a good soul in this group that could offer some fun (and
inexpensive) activities to check out while in that area of Arizona...

We are facinated with native american art, if that helps steer you in
the right direction. We would also like to check out one of thsoe Jeep
tours. We would book it on up to Flagstaff for a day, but I am very
uncertain how an Arizona December goes, since I have never been there
in the winter.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated... since I am a paranoid freak
I dont want to put on the internet what days I am going (though I
gladly post my email address... odd) so just know it will be arounf the
begining of Dec.

Thanks in advance!
Jazz Mann

Old October 10th, 2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill[_3_]

wrote:
I have been to Arizona before and loved it. My wife has never been.
We have a trip booked to fly into PHX in early december and stay 3 or 4
days in Arizona.

I enjoy the Sedona, Jerome, Prescott areas and was hoping I could run
across a good soul in this group that could offer some fun (and
inexpensive) activities to check out while in that area of Arizona...

We are facinated with native american art, if that helps steer you in
the right direction. We would also like to check out one of thsoe Jeep
tours. We would book it on up to Flagstaff for a day, but I am very
uncertain how an Arizona December goes, since I have never been there
in the winter.

Already had snow in the high country (Oct 9) so anything is possible in
Flagstaff in December ... what I'd do is plan on a jeep tour out of
Sedona instead of Flag since it's maybe 2,000 ft lower and more likely
to have good weather. Several tours go to Indian ruins and lovely red
rock country.

I would not book this in advance as there's no rush of touristas at
this time of year. Instead I'd wait and see if the weather report was
for a typical sunny day and then book it a day ahead of time.

Bill

Old October 11th, 2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

For Native American Art, the absolute best is the Heard Museum in
Phoenix. However, the best Museum Shop (where you actually can
purchase Native American Art of Museum Quality) is the Museum of
Northern Arizona in Flagstaff.

Other interesting sites in the Flagstaff, Sedona, etc. part of Arizona.
I realize you probably only have three days.

1. Tuzigoot in Cottonwood/Clarkdale. Also looking east toward Sedona
at sunset with the alpenglow on the Red Rocks is absolutely amazing.

2. Walnut Canyon southeast of Flagstaff.

3. Wupatki and the Volcano Area Northeast of Flagstaff.

4. Downtown Prescott for Antiquing (including some antique Native
American Art and Jewelry.

Enjoying December Temperatures in Arizona. (Priceless)

mapsmith

Old October 11th, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

wrote in message
oups.com...

Enjoying December Temperatures in Arizona. (Priceless)

I was recently in the Southwest and read an article in the Phoenix newspaper
about the arrival of cooler fall weather. It was all about "now we can go
outside again" and "now we can play golf again" and "now we remember why we
live in Arizona." Sounded like the summers are pretty bad indeed. And my
husband plays golf year-round here in Seattle.

Marianne

Old October 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:19:17 -0700, "Mimi" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

Enjoying December Temperatures in Arizona. (Priceless)

I was recently in the Southwest and read an article in the Phoenix newspaper
about the arrival of cooler fall weather. It was all about "now we can go
outside again" and "now we can play golf again" and "now we remember why we
live in Arizona." Sounded like the summers are pretty bad indeed. And my
husband plays golf year-round here in Seattle.

An excellent reason to stay there.

Old October 12th, 2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chuck Whealton

wrote:
For Native American Art, the absolute best is the Heard Museum in
Phoenix. However, the best Museum Shop (where you actually can
purchase Native American Art of Museum Quality) is the Museum of
Northern Arizona in Flagstaff.

Other interesting sites in the Flagstaff, Sedona, etc. part of Arizona.
I realize you probably only have three days.

1. Tuzigoot in Cottonwood/Clarkdale. Also looking east toward Sedona
at sunset with the alpenglow on the Red Rocks is absolutely amazing.

2. Walnut Canyon southeast of Flagstaff.

3. Wupatki and the Volcano Area Northeast of Flagstaff.

4. Downtown Prescott for Antiquing (including some antique Native
American Art and Jewelry.

Enjoying December Temperatures in Arizona. (Priceless)

mapsmith

These are all great places. I've been to the Heard and the Museum of
Northern Arizona and enjoyed them both.

While in the Flagstaff area, don't forget to check out some of historic
Route 66 and stop in the Museum Club. Also, check out the Lowel
Observatory. While you're at it, you can take part of Route 66 to
Winslow and there are some Hopi ruins there (Homolovi ruins), though
they truly are "ruins". Nowhere near as intact as some you'll see at
Wupatki and Sunset Crater, but still worth a look.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Old October 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Great advice Bill, thanks so much...
Any idea what I can expect the drive on 89 to be like? (From Prescott
to Sedona). It is a lovely drive in the summer, wild twists and
turns... which makes me think Jerome is out in December...

Old October 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill[_3_]

wrote:

Great advice Bill, thanks so much...
Any idea what I can expect the drive on 89 to be like? (From Prescott
to Sedona). It is a lovely drive in the summer, wild twists and
turns... which makes me think Jerome is out in December...

..
The 'norm' is probably 50's and sunny during the day with dry roads so
it's still a great drive. In a 'wet' year we'll get maybe a storm a
week blowing in from the west and if that happens the road will be wet
and possibly icy, but most of the time it's fine.