JFL Airport baggage inspection

Old April 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Progre

Default JFL Airport baggage inspection

It's incredible, but in order to inspect whatever they want, the USA's
Transportation Security Administration has the right to force -and break and
throw away- the padlock of your baggage at JFK Airport and make it to
circulate completely unlocked by London's Heathrow and Madrid's Barajas.
When back at home you get your luggage you will only find a TSA's note
informing of this action and declaring they have the right to do it and are
"not liable for damage to your locks" ... neither for anything missing,
obviously.

Great.

P.

Old April 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

Progre wrote:
It's incredible, but in order to inspect whatever they want, the USA's
Transportation Security Administration has the right to force -and break and
throw away- the padlock of your baggage at JFK Airport and make it to
circulate completely unlocked by London's Heathrow and Madrid's Barajas.
When back at home you get your luggage you will only find a TSA's note
informing of this action and declaring they have the right to do it and are
"not liable for damage to your locks" ... neither for anything missing,
obviously.

Great.

TSA accepted locks are available at many places,
including airports.

Marsha/Ohio

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 4:13 pm, "Progre" wrote:
It's incredible, but in order to inspect whatever they want, the USA's
Transportation Security Administration has the right to force -and break and
throw away- the padlock of your baggage at JFK Airport and make it to
circulate completely unlocked by London's Heathrow and Madrid's Barajas.
When back at home you get your luggage you will only find a TSA's note
informing of this action and declaring they have the right to do it and are
"not liable for damage to your locks" ... neither for anything missing,
obviously.

Great.

P.

Didnt you see the signs that explained what was going to happen to
your lock? They also say, make sure its unlocked when you toss it on
the scanner.......

Chuck

Old April 8th, 2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Progre wrote:
It's incredible, but in order to inspect whatever they want, the USA's
Transportation Security Administration has the right to force -and break and
throw away- the padlock of your baggage at JFK Airport and make it to
circulate completely unlocked by London's Heathrow and Madrid's Barajas.
When back at home you get your luggage you will only find a TSA's note
informing of this action and declaring they have the right to do it and are
"not liable for damage to your locks" ... neither for anything missing,
obviously.

Buy some TSA padlocks. Luggage padlocks don't provide much protection
anyway, more just to discourage baggage handlers from going through your
suitcase, and the TSA locks will do that.
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Apr 8, 1:13 pm, "Progre" wrote:
It's incredible,

Not so incredible had you pay any attention to airport security in the
last 5 years.

but in order to inspect whatever they want, the USA's
Transportation Security Administration has the right to force -and break and
throw away- the padlock of your baggage at JFK Airport

Yes they do.

and make it to
circulate completely unlocked by London's Heathrow and Madrid's Barajas.

Well, at least TSA does not control the circulation of your luggage in
Heathrow or Barajas.

When back at home you get your luggage you will only find a TSA's note
informing of this action and declaring they have the right to do it and are
"not liable for damage to your locks" ... neither for anything missing,
obviously.

Great.

Glad you like it. At least your plane did not fall out of the sky
because of a luggage bomb, unlike the commuter trains in London and
Madrid.

P.

Old April 9th, 2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 22:13:50 +0200, "Progre"
wrote:

It's incredible, but in order to inspect whatever they want, the USA's
Transportation Security Administration has the right to force -and break and
throw away- the padlock of your baggage at JFK Airport and make it to
circulate completely unlocked by London's Heathrow and Madrid's Barajas.
When back at home you get your luggage you will only find a TSA's note
informing of this action and declaring they have the right to do it and are
"not liable for damage to your locks" ... neither for anything missing,
obviously.

Great.

P.

You're surprised at this? How long since you last travelled
by plane?

Next time use cable ties. Easy for them to cut, cheap for
you to replace. Works brilliantly. And note that TSA airline
security employees are selected for their thick muscles.
Especially the one between their ears.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In article ,
Alan S wrote:

Next time use cable ties. Easy for them to cut, cheap for
you to replace. Works brilliantly.

Yep, that's what I've been doing for the past few years.
I do wish that TSA would put on a new one after they cut
mine off, but so far, nothing's gone missing from my
luggage.

I did have one slight "uh-oh" moment the first time I
used cable ties. I got to my destination and realized
that because of the ban on nail clippers on carry-ons,
mine were *inside* the suitcase; I usually have a pair
in my purse. So I had to make a quick run down to the
hotel lobby to borrow from scissors. Now that we can
carry nail clippers again, it isn't a problem.

Patty

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On 08 Apr 2007 23:54:31 GMT, Patty Winter
) wrote:

In article ,
Alan S wrote:

Next time use cable ties. Easy for them to cut, cheap for
you to replace. Works brilliantly.

Yep, that's what I've been doing for the past few years.
I do wish that TSA would put on a new one after they cut
mine off, but so far, nothing's gone missing from my
luggage.

I did have one slight "uh-oh" moment the first time I
used cable ties. I got to my destination and realized
that because of the ban on nail clippers on carry-ons,
mine were *inside* the suitcase; I usually have a pair
in my purse. So I had to make a quick run down to the
hotel lobby to borrow from scissors. Now that we can
carry nail clippers again, it isn't a problem.

Patty

On most bags I leave the nail clippers in one of the small
external zipped pockets and leave that pocket unsealed. On
one of my bags that's not possible and I tied the nail
clippers on a piece of string which could be withdrawn
through the small gap in the zip fastening at the tied end.

On the single occasion that the nail clippers disappeared
somehow, the customs guy simply used his own box-knife.

Cheers, Alan, Australia