state capital cities

Old September 9th, 2004, 03:45 PM
R H Draney

Mark Brader filted:

Another way to look at this is to look at the population ratio of the
state's largest city to its capital. This is a measure where states
with large cities will tend to "win", so it's no surprise to see that
New York leads, New York City being more than 86 times the size of Albany.
Pennsylvania comes next, followed by Illinois and Maryland, and then,
again, Washington and Missouri.

I hate to bring this up, but how about the ratio of the population between the
state capital and the entire state?...that would shift things around for those
states that have several large cities and relatively small capitals (I'm
thinking California, Texas and Ohio) vs those with one really humongous big city
that isn't the capital (like Illinois and New York)....

I'm saving the list from your other post, BTW...thanks for putting in the
work....r

Old September 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:03:52 GMT, Bill Pittman
wrote:

In article lNH%c.401856$%_6.224462@attbi_s01,
"Sarah Banick" wrote:

This is especially noticable in eastern cities -- Albany instead of NYC;
Springfield instead of Chicago [snip]

Illinois is eastern??

Anything east of the Rockies is Eastern.

when I lived in Empria kansas people used to give ma an odd look
whan I used phrases like "back East here"

Sounds like the look I get from relatives in South Carolina when I
discuss being "up North here" when visiting.

Old September 9th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Sarah Banick

"mdrawson" wrote in message
Tacoma isn't the capital of WA, Olympia is.

Of course, you're right :-) So much for my memory....

Old September 9th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Juliana L Holm

R H Draney wrote:
states had their *second* largest cities as capitals, third largest, and so
on...I think there was one where the capital was something like the 22nd
largest...Connecticut?...r

No, Hartford is pretty large, and arguably the most prominent rural area in
the state.

--
Julie
**********
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM
R H Draney

Hatunen wrote:

when I lived in Empria kansas people used to give ma an odd look
whan I used phrases like "back East here"

When I was a kid, "back East" included San Bernardino....r

Old September 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Hatunen

On 8 Sep 2004 15:38:08 -0700, R H Draney
wrote:

Hatunen filted:

Finally in 1854 the legislature set the capital at Sacramento. At
the time, Los Angeles was a sleepy little pueblo.

They'll put capitals in some of the wackiest places...like where Arizona's
territorial capital was from 1867-77, until they moved it back to--Prescott?...r

Needless to say Phoenix was nothing more than some adobe huts and
Hohokam irrigation canals at the time.

Old September 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:47:45 -0500, Auntie Em
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:57:51 GMT, Tim923 wrote:

This is not really a travel question, but it seemed like the best
newsgroup to post this:

Why are state capital cities often relatively obscure small cities?
Albany, Sacramento, Tallahassee, Springfield, Lansing come to mind.
Which capitals are also the largest city population wise?

Phoenix was pretty big, last time I checked.

It wasn't when it was made the capital.

Old September 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
R H Draney wrote:

I hate to bring this up, but how about the ratio of the population between
the
state capital and the entire state?...that would shift things around for
those
states that have several large cities and relatively small capitals (I'm
thinking California, Texas and Ohio) vs those with one really humongous big
city
that isn't the capital (like Illinois and New York)....

Columbus a small capital?? C'mon! Someone has already mentioned that
it's the largest city in Ohio.

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:49:07 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

wrote:

Hatunen filted:

Finally in 1854 the legislature set the capital at Sacramento. At
the time, Los Angeles was a sleepy little pueblo.

They'll put capitals in some of the wackiest places...like where Arizona's
territorial capital was from 1867-77, until they moved it back
to--Prescott?...r

Needless to say Phoenix was nothing more than some adobe huts and
Hohokam irrigation canals at the time.

as a matter of fact, what was the population of AZ in 1945?

Roughly 600,000 for Arizona.

In 1950 Phoenix was about 107,000

I;'d wager
something miniscule like the sub 10,000 in Las vegas and Clark county at
the same time.