How to find a good all inclusive in Mexico?

Old September 13th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Pavel

Default How to find a good all inclusive in Mexico?

Drew, I hear ya. Don't get me wrong. Unfortunately, there are not many new
[AI] hotels in Cancun. It's just that the newer hotels have a less likely
chance of having the AC breaking down or plumbing issues. That's the ONLY
reason why I would want a new hotel. In virtually every review I read
there is something wrong, usually the AC. Rarely, does someone go into
their hotel room in Cancun and the AC or plumbing is fine.

The service is not very important to me. If there is something faulty like
the AC or plumbing, I expect that to be fixed promptly without any hassle as
if dealing with an insurance claims adjuster. I don't want people to wait on
me hand and foot and make the centre of attention. The food doesn't need to
be great either Good to ok is just fine and "hygienic". I want to go on
vacation to relax, not to deal with problems. That's why I've gone away.
So, I think I'm being flexible.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest. I see the murky pacific water and sand all
the time. I frankly, hate it. It's a personal choice. Perhaps if I was in
Texas, I would want to see the Pacific since I'm not too far away from the
Gulf of Mexico. I recently took an Alaska cruise. It was relaxing, but the
scenary was uneventful. Just like home. I felt uncomfortable having
someone every few minutes ask me if I wanted this or that.

However, if a really good $$$ flight and accomodate to PV comes available
during the winter months, I may consider it just to get away from the balmy
winters we have. I heard a lot of good things about this town just east of
Cabo. The water is much nicer than PV. I think its San Jose Del Cabo

I wouldn't really chance not *staying* at an all-inclusive due to my lack of
Spanish (yes, we should learn it), but I know sooooooo many people who have
returned from the western part of Mexico who ate at the restaurants and got
ill. So, I'm even more apprehensive. If I know that some restaurants have
good track records (of course there are exceptions), I'm game. But, I have
to eat every 3-4 hours so I need a place that will accommodate. I generally
look for a hotel that has around the clock food--like many AI's.

Sounds like you really lucked out on the Canadian hotel when you went to PV.
What is it called and what restaurants would you recommend that don't cost
much?

"Drew Shuller" wrote in message
| Pavel, you're asking for a lot. You want a brand new all-inclusive
| (everything works) with great food, employees with great attitudes,
perfect
| sevice, has to be an AI, and it has to be cheap, has to be in Cancun, and
| the departure dates and times must be perfect. Never gonna happen.
|
| That kind of AI deal happens MAYBE once a year, but you have to be
flexible
| in your travel dates to get it.
|
| You have limited yourself to much. Ever try to get a good deal on a
non-AI?
| Or maybe a nice place that's not right on the beach? What's wrong with the
| Pacific? I stayed in a beautiful 4 story Canadian-owned place that
| overlooked downtown PV. The help was awesome, there were many fine
| restaraunts 5 minutes away, and I paid $55/night US. Originally I wanted a
| cheap AI right on the beach, but after some research, I found this place
| instead...I traded a cheap place on the beach where the rooms were going
| be ghetto, and the help was going to be "on permanente siesta," for a
place
| where the air worked very well and I thought there for a few days that I
was
| rich, it was so nice.
|
| Flexibility is key to getting what you want, always.
|
| Drew
| Austin, TX|

Old September 14th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Drew Shuller

OK, I did stay in a place in Cancun that was new and therefore really nice.
It was...searching my memory for the name...the Gran Caribe Real Resort. It
has everything that you're looking for, except the price maybe. I lucked out
on an AI 3-night for $414 from San Antonio.

You're right about where you're from. I like the Pacific better because I've
seen plenty of flat coastlines in Texas so I like the change of scenery.
Plus I feel somehow better connected to the Pacific ocean than to the
Caribbean, don't know why.

The water, however, in PV, when I was there in August, was very nice. We had
35 foot vis at El Arco, and that's plenty for me, but the divemasters said
that it wasn't usually like that. Also, you have to get away from PV either
north or south to get the really nice beaches. My friend got sick, but we
could never tell if it was bad food, bad water, or just our inability to
handle the intestinal bugs that the Mexican people are used to. This could
happen anywhere...Cabo, Cancun, PV, Acapulco, wherever. I stayed at the Casa
Isabel: http://www.madisonavenuepub.com/madi.../features.html. It's a
nice place. Also, as long as you're at a tourist destination, you'll get by
with no Spanish at all. I was able to rent a car, buy groceries, and find
activities, all without language difficulties. You can't swing a cat by it's
tail without hitting a restaurant in PV...cheap, expensive, good, whatever,
they have it. I can't remember offhand where I went, but if you go there
drop me a line and I'll dig the info up.

PV has a pretty big Canuk expat community. Check this board and you'll feel
right at home! http://pub69.ezboard.com/btodopuertovallarta

Now Cabo is a different story altogether. I'm guessing that if you could
take the California desert and drop it in the middle of a beautiful azure
ocean then you would know what it's like. The water is so far beyond blue
it's almost purple, and instead of the semi-jungle as in PV, you have sand,
hardscrabble, cacti, and very dramatic rocky cliffs and hills that thrust up
out of the water. It's very dry. Google the Gulf of California and you'll
see what I mean, especially Baha Sur. It couldn't be more different than the
West Coast of Mexico nor the Pacific Northwest I imagine.

Grab a map online, and you'll see that Cabo is really referring to the
"Corridor," the highway along the coast that runs between Cabo and San Jose
del Cabo. Lots of resorts on this road, which will take about 45 minutes to
drive. San Jose is supposed to be the quieter, more authentic destination
(maybe like the distinction between Cancun and Coz, before the ship terminal
was built) and might even have cheaper places to stay. Where Cabo is
bustling, full of partiers from LA (this could be bad or good, depending!),
San Jose is a little more laid back. Also, if memory serves, there is a
large snorkeling/scuba park with clear calm water, located north of San
Jose, so you would be closer to that. But the water all around the area just
kills me, because I like lots of wave action! The fishing in the area is
better than Cancun and PV combined, and cheaper too. Cabo is my favorite
place, though Cancun is cheaper and more convenient for Texans to experience
a quick weekend getaway at the beach.

Tell us what you decide, and keep hitting the TripAdvisor page as you go
along.

Drew

| Austin, TX|