Bought art on Princess?

Old January 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ghostship

Default Bought art on Princess?

In L.A. Times, story of 2 painters whose work was fraudulently copied
and sold on Princess (and elsewhere on land, but that was the only
cruise line mentioned.)
Artists Charlene Mitchell and John O'Brien are the artists in question.
Princess will take them back, if you've bought one.

--"Meanwhile, Princess Cruise Lines spokeswoman Julie Benson said via
e-mail that Princess bought the prints "in good faith, believing them
to be properly authorized."
"If these allegations are true," she wrote, "Princess was victimized,
as were the artists in question." She added that the company would
"accept any art returned by dissatisfied customers."
In a legal document submitted in response to a suit filed by Mitchell,
Princess lawyer Brooke Oliver said the cruise line may not have made
any money at all because of costs associated with framing, shipping,
storage and insurance. And she contended that distribution of the fakes
"has enhanced plaintiff's prestige and reputation and the value of her
artwork."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...=la-home-local

GS

Old January 19th, 2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dennis P. Harris

On 18 Jan 2007 08:06:13 -0800 in rec.travel.cruises, "ghostship"
wrote:

In a legal document submitted in response to a suit filed by Mitchell,
Princess lawyer Brooke Oliver said the cruise line may not have made
any money at all because of costs associated with framing, shipping,
storage and insurance. And she contended that distribution of the fakes
"has enhanced plaintiff's prestige and reputation and the value of her
artwork."

tough ****. a copyright violation is a copyright violation.
those slimeballs at princess just don't want to pay either the
artist or the victims of their fraud.

but what do you expect from felon corporations?

If you want to see the real Alaska, don't come on a
cruise ship! See the cruise industry rogue's gallery
at http://www.cruisejunkie.com/#Environmental_Issues

Dennis P. Harris
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

wrote:

In a legal document submitted in response to a suit filed by Mitchell,
Princess lawyer Brooke Oliver said the cruise line may not have made
any money at all because of costs associated with framing, shipping,
storage and insurance. And she contended that distribution of the fakes
"has enhanced plaintiff's prestige and reputation and the value of her
artwork."

tough ****. a copyright violation is a copyright violation.
those slimeballs at princess just don't want to pay either the
artist or the victims of their fraud.

but what do you expect from felon corporations?

If you want to see the real Alaska, don't come on a
cruise ship! See the cruise industry rogue's gallery
at http://www.cruisejunkie.com/#Environmental_Issues

Dennis P. Harris

Whew! Then my investment in Clowns on Black Velvet and Dogs Playing
Poker is safe.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dennis P. Harris

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 06:41:25 GMT in rec.travel.cruises, Brian K
wrote:

Whew! Then my investment in Clowns on Black Velvet and Dogs Playing
Poker is safe.

what, no toreadors or elvis?

Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

wrote:

Whew! Then my investment in Clowns on Black Velvet and Dogs Playing
Poker is safe.

what, no toreadors or elvis?

I already have an Elvis, it's a lawn jockey. I have him positioned
between two pink flamingos and a white porcelain toilet planter full of
Impatiens. In the Summer we fly a Polska Kielbasa flag to add a touch
of whimsy.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

wrote:
In a legal document submitted in response to a suit filed by Mitchell,
Princess lawyer Brooke Oliver said the cruise line may not have made
any money at all because of costs associated with framing, shipping,
storage and insurance. And she contended that distribution of the fakes
"has enhanced plaintiff's prestige and reputation and the value of her
artwork."

tough ****. a copyright violation is a copyright violation.
those slimeballs at princess just don't want to pay either the
artist or the victims of their fraud.

but what do you expect from felon corporations?

Thank you, wise poster.

I knew John O'Brien very well. He was a prolific artist and a trusting
individual. He got his start selling
watercolors on the street in Greenwich Village and it took many years
and hard times to build his portfolio.
Before he died, we were once examining a particularly bad knock-off of
one of his paintings- with his forged
signature spelled wrong. It was almost funny it was so pathetic.
He didn't get worked up about it. No one knew yet of the extent of the
theft of his
work. His surviving family has fallen on very hard times, with all the
royalties in other people's pockets. If there's justice,
the courts will work this out. I did the safe thing. I dropped out of
art school and went into the medical field. I didn't
take the risks that he did. I will always admire him. On St. Patrick's
day, how about a toast to his memory?