Istanbul - Turkish Lira

Old October 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Default Istanbul - Turkish Lira

"JohnT" wrote in message

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

On 08/10/11 21:33, Doug Anderson wrote:
William writes:

On 08/10/11 17:31, Markku Grönroos wrote:
8.10.2011 13:23, William Black kirjoitti:
On 08/10/11 06:56, Markku Grönroos wrote:

By the way, can you name these three major world currencies. I am
sure I
am not the only one who can not do so. Enlighten us.

In my experience Dollars, Euros and Sterling are taken just about
everywhere.

Nonsense. For instance in Finland it is euros and in Sweden it is
kronas. Naturally, if you offered 100 pounds for a can of soda you
might
have a deal. A very dull one though

So we've established that, despite your protestations, they do take
dollars as well as Euros.

To accept three different currencies would require three different
registers for each cashier.

It doesn't happen very often but it does happen.

They just phone up the bank and ask what the exchange rate is and any
fees and calculate a profit on that as well.

I didn't say it was cheap, I said it was done...

What you said is that "just about everywhere you have been in the
world, outside of the USA of course, almost all shopkeepers will take
the three major world currencies."

If you meant that you could _find_ shopkeepers who would strike a deal
that involved you grossly overpaying so that you could use foreign
currency, I wonder why you excepted the US.

Because in teh USA in many places people don't even know tere are other
currencies.

The USA is without doubt then most inward looking and insular country
I've ever been in.

I note you didn't address your bizzare claim "almost all shopkeepers"
taking those foreign currencies.

I have been undecided for some time whether Mr Black is being deliberately
argumentative or is just dim. Until this recent exchange, when I realised
that he is argumentative and also vey dim.
--
JohnT

John, I must agree...Has Mr. Black been to EVERY town and city in the USA to
make such a statement? Let him post the names of the 'many' places in the US
that don't know about European currency! I have currency that is left over
from many of the countries before the existence of the Euro. Many of my
friends who travel or cruise are from all over the US are very aware of
different currencies...we check their value against the dollar every time we
travel abroad. Anyone who has a computer, is very much aware of all
currencies, especially the major ones, even if they do not travel. That was
an unkind and uneducated statement, not to mention an overly broad one to
make.

--Jean

Old October 9th, 2011, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doug Anderson

William Black writes:

On 09/10/11 12:26, JohnT wrote:

(snip)

I have been undecided for some time whether Mr Black is being
deliberately argumentative or is just dim. Until this recent exchange,
when I realised that he is argumentative and also vey dim.

Goodness, that added to the conversation didn't it.

There is really nothing to add to the "conversation." You made a
claim that isn't true. Various people have pointed out various ways
it isn't true.

You've refused to do the gracious thing and simply admit you
overstated your case, so there isn't going to _be_ anything to add at
this point.

On the other hand, what JohnT wrote _was_ kind of funny.
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

William writes:

[...]

Ever tried spending it there?

Thought not...

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

On 09/10/11 17:52, Doug Anderson wrote:
William writes:

On 09/10/11 12:26, JohnT wrote:

(snip)

I have been undecided for some time whether Mr Black is being
deliberately argumentative or is just dim. Until this recent exchange,
when I realised that he is argumentative and also vey dim.

Goodness, that added to the conversation didn't it.

There is really nothing to add to the "conversation."

Agreed

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

On 09/10/11 17:28, Jean O'Boyle wrote:
wrote in message

[]
I have been undecided for some time whether Mr Black is being deliberately
argumentative or is just dim. Until this recent exchange, when I realised
that he is argumentative and also vey dim.
--
JohnT

John, I must agree...Has Mr. Black been to EVERY town and city in the USA to
make such a statement? Let him post the names of the 'many' places in the US
that don't know about European currency! I have currency that is left over
from many of the countries before the existence of the Euro. Many of my
friends who travel or cruise are from all over the US are very aware of
different currencies...we check their value against the dollar every time we
travel abroad.

Ever tried spending it there?

Thought not...

You can spend euro in many tourist shops in the US, just like pounds. In
other words, almost the same situation as spending foreign currency in
the UK.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

William writes:

[...]

Answer to first question...yes
Answer to second remark..You thought wrongly
Conclusion... You don't know as much about the US as you think that you do.
Solution...Don't make uninformed statements.

--Jean

Old October 9th, 2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

William writes:

[...]

OK, I was wrong, the USA isn't an exception and you can use major
foreign currencies there as well as just about everywhere else.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

[...]

Thank you, apology accepted. I do admit that with a country of such vastness
as the USA, there are many small towns and villages who would not be able to
do it because of their remoteness. Larger cities with large banks are
easier when it comes to foreign currencies, therefore their acceptance would
be better.

--Jean

Old October 10th, 2011, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doug Anderson

William writes:

[...]

Well, you were wrong. But it is harder to use foreign currency in the
US than it is in countries that are less geographically isolated, and
you generally pay an even higher premium to do so.

What you are really wrong about is the idea that it makes general
sense to plan to use dollars, euros or pounds in most countries where
those are not the local currency.
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

William writes:

[...]

Look, will the people saying I'm wrong in both directions please settle
their own differences before ripping me to bits in concert.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...