Three Things You Want The Cruise Lines To Know!

Old March 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
RTCReferee

Default Three Things You Want The Cruise Lines To Know!

(Lee) wrote:

Well, I almost always treat myself to a massage when I cruise. This last
cruise, I had two! Here's why. When on vacation, I'm more receptive to
relaxing...

Interesting. I feel more benefit from a massage when I am tense and/or have
sore muscles.

I have an issue with the way that the Steiner folks perform their massagework,
in addition to the "sell".
The other thing is that the massage facilities on board the ships where I have
sailed and utilitized the spa don't come close to the facilities at better
spas. For example, I am accustomed to heated massage tables which are easily
raised and lowered by controls, generous and fine quality white sheets used to
swaddle and warm me, a warm quiet room or light music, at my choice. The rooms
each have sinks where the masseur/masseuse washes hands immediately beforehand.
At some of the spas here the tables have the cutout for face as opposed to the
extended attachment. My last Steiner massage was also on HAL (7 months ago)
and the room, table "dressing" (flimsy cover over me), and the quality of
massage was mediocre. Not terrible, but not worth the price.

The waiting area at the Northern California spas I frequent are very calming,
with sliced fruit and beverages available for pre and post-massage. A generous
shower area with big fluffy towels, thick terry robe and slippers, numerous
amenities, dressing room, thick robes to wear in the area. Hair dryers, fine
shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. Safe with key, etc. All included in
the price of the massage.

I'm glad that you enjoy your massages onboard. For me, they just don't match
those at my favorite land-based spas.
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:26 AM
Cruising Chrissy

Hm, interesting way to BBQ.

Maybe so CC...But I would think that once you open the lid, all the
flavor would escape. I still prefer the injection method, with a
slowwwww roast over hot coals....

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:35:33 GMT, (Kurt Ullman)
wrote:

But then you have nice broth for soups and other dishes later on.
Waste not want not.

recipes, recipes, slow down, writer's cramp
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:41 PM
Lee

ando (RTCReferee) wrote in message ...
(Lee) wrote:

Well, I almost always treat myself to a massage when I cruise. This last
cruise, I had two! Here's why. When on vacation, I'm more receptive to
relaxing...

Interesting. I feel more benefit from a massage when I am tense and/or have
sore muscles.

Oh...when I start a cruise, I'm tense...especially this last one when
I almost missed the ship. Takes me a few days to leave the every-day
tension behind. Starting a cruise with a massage helps that process
for me.

The other thing is that the massage facilities on board the ships where I have
sailed and utilitized the spa don't come close to the facilities at better
spas.

We have a beautifully appointed day spa locally, and I'd say the spa
on the Zuiderdam (my most recent cruise spa experience, so the most
fresh in my mind) is equally as lovely.

For example, I am accustomed to heated massage tables which are easily
raised and lowered by controls,

Zuidy didn't have that.

generous and fine quality white sheets used to
swaddle and warm me, a warm quiet room or light music, at my choice.

Yup...had that. Over-sheet wasn't white, but my eyes were closed
anyway, room was dim, so color of sheet wasn't too important to me.

The rooms
each have sinks where the masseur/masseuse washes hands immediately beforehand.

Yup...Zuidy had that in both treatment rooms I was in.

At some of the spas here the tables have the cutout for face as opposed to the
extended attachment.

Same on Zuidy.

My last Steiner massage was also on HAL (7 months ago)
and the room, table "dressing" (flimsy cover over me), and the quality of
massage was mediocre. Not terrible, but not worth the price.

I expect to pay a premium on a ship and I'm okay with that. I can get
a less expensive massage at home, from a masseuse that comes to the
house. But it wouldn't be cheaper if I go to my favorite local day
spa.

The waiting area at the Northern California spas I frequent are very calming,

I just wait in my cabin until my appointment time - I've never had to
wait for a spa appointment on a ship.

with sliced fruit and beverages available for pre and post-massage.

Water was offered...and that's it.

A generous
shower area with big fluffy towels, thick terry robe and slippers, numerous
amenities, dressing room, thick robes to wear in the area.

Zuidy offered this - a beautiful locker room area for spa patrons,
with thick robes, slippers lockers with keys, big towels, showers,
changing rooms, beautiful ocean view...

Hair dryers, fine
shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. Safe with key, etc. All included in
the price of the massage.

Didn't actually use the shower in the Zuidy locker room, so I don't
remember what they had as far as toiletries go - my cabin was directly
below the spa, so it was just as easy to use my own shower with my own
toiletries.

I'm glad that you enjoy your massages onboard. For me, they just don't match
those at my favorite land-based spas.

Sorry that we've had different experiences. I find partaking in a spa
service, or two, during a cruise, just adds to my overall level of
relaxation, and feeling of being totally spoiled and decadent. I've
always been pleasantly impressed with the level of service and skill
from the practioners. As far as the "sell" goes, I get it from my
fancy day spa at home, too. Everyone's got product to sell, but I
find that if I make it clear from the start, that there won't be any
add-ons, they are happy to leave it be.

Lee