The penduilum swings

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

Default The penduilum swings

Now that a record number of ships are sailing in Europe next summer, the
question of over-supply in this market appears.

Yes, European cruises do sell for higher prices, but the two
trans-atlantics and shoulder sailings are not profitable.

I am impressed with the load factors of cruises to the Caribbean in the
summer along with the
good yields and no four weeks of losses on the transfer voyages.

Let's see what happens this year in Europe, before the pendulum swings
back.

Congrats to Princess, Royal Caribbean Carnival and Celebrity for
keeping a year-round presence in the Caribbean and not having to
re-introduce their Caribbean product next fall!

Gadget

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 3/24/2010 4:32 PM, Gadget World wrote:
Now that a record number of ships are sailing in Europe next summer, the
question of over-supply in this market appears.

Yes, European cruises do sell for higher prices, but the two
trans-atlantics and shoulder sailings are not profitable.

The European markets are not much better than last year. That's what CCL
management said on its analyst call. It's due in part to increased
capacity (particularly at Costa) and in part to the economy, which
didn't decline as deep as in the U.S., but also is slower in recovering.
Many Costa cruises, even further out, are currently priced lower than
last year.

I am impressed with the load factors of cruises to the Caribbean in the
summer along with the
good yields and no four weeks of losses on the transfer voyages.

Actually much of the perceived good news is because the Caribbean market
represents 57% of the North American markets. The Alaska market isn't
strong at all. As you will notice from the interesting thread that John
started, a lot of people here never cruised longer than 10 days or so.
Most Caribbean cruises are less than one week and more suitable to lower
income and/or employed and/or thrifty people.

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

On Mar 24, 10:32*am, (Gadget World) wrote:
Now that a record number of ships are sailing in Europe next summer, the
question of over-supply in this market appears.

Well, I am keeping an eye out for deals on the re-positioning cruises.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake peter :

On 3/24/2010 4:32 PM, Gadget World wrote:
Now that a record number of ships are sailing in Europe next summer, the
question of over-supply in this market appears.

Yes, European cruises do sell for higher prices, but the two
trans-atlantics and shoulder sailings are not profitable.

The European markets are not much better than last year. That's what CCL
management said on its analyst call. It's due in part to increased
capacity (particularly at Costa) and in part to the economy, which
didn't decline as deep as in the U.S., but also is slower in recovering.
Many Costa cruises, even further out, are currently priced lower than
last year.

Well, right now (as opposed to, say, Monday) the euro is getting
pounded by the dollar, which raises the effective price of the dollar
denominated cruise prices for Europeans.

I am impressed with the load factors of cruises to the Caribbean in the
summer along with the
good yields and no four weeks of losses on the transfer voyages.

Actually much of the perceived good news is because the Caribbean market
represents 57% of the North American markets. The Alaska market isn't
strong at all.

I've found, interestingly, that people are shying away from Alaska
because air is expensive. It costs a great deal more to fly to
Vancouver than to Orlando, Miami or Fort Lauderdale. And that darned
$46 a person tax just makes things so much more expensive (I just had
to, sorry).

As you will notice from the interesting thread that John
started, a lot of people here never cruised longer than 10 days or so.
Most Caribbean cruises are less than one week and more suitable to lower
income and/or employed and/or thrifty people.

I'm amazed at the number of people who want to do the Carnival 4 night
cruises out of Galveston. You only blow three days of vacation. But
I looked the other day and the 4 night immediately before a 5 night
was MORE expensive. Not per night, per cruise. $449 for a 4A vs
$419. I can leave on Saturday and be at work by oneish on Thursday.

Let's see what happens this year in Europe, before the pendulum swings
back.

Congrats to Princess, Royal Caribbean Carnival and Celebrity for
keeping a year-round presence in the Caribbean and not having to
re-introduce their Caribbean product next fall!

I'm not as certain about Celebrity, but RCI and Princess can spare a
couple of ships (or more if you're RCI) for the Caribbean during the
summer.

Gadget

--

- dillon I am not invalid

The more I drink, the less I think. The less I think,
the better I feel. The better I feel, the more I drink.
And so goes the circle of life.