The Atomic Ocean Liner

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default The Atomic Ocean Liner

[Default] Thus spake George Leppla :

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Charles wrote:

In article , frijoli
wrote:

and 3 mile island
Three Mile island and also Chernobyl, don't forget that catastrophe.
Both are a good education for the public to keep in mind about nuclear
power. There is also the issue of disposing of nuclear waste. And
nuclear power plants are not cheap to build. I am not opposed to
nuclear power plants forever but as of 2010 I still don't trust any
private company, public entity or government to operate nuclear power
plants safely.

Yet except for those two there have been no problems. Even Japan
gets most of its power from nukes. France gets almost 80% of its
electricity from nukes and is the largest exporter of power. With the
climate change hooha running through Congress, it is likely that Nuke
plants will get relatively cheaper to build than (especially) coal
plants.
TMI worked well despite the human errors with very little released.
Chernobyl was of a kind not used elsewhere in the world and even then,
it was the only of its kind to go bad.

Good point about Japan and France. I'm not thrilled about nuclear
power, but anything has to be better than the economic drain we have
from buying oil from countries who really don't like us.

Sooner or later, we have to get away from burning fossil fuels.
Nuclear, solar, wind, thermal.... there is an answer out there somewhere
and I hope we find it because we WANT to... before we HAVE to.

George, STNP was floating a proposal a couple of years ago to add
another reactor, at a cost of $1-1.5 billion to supply 100,000
household equivalents. To build that much capacity in a wind farm
would currently run about $8 billion and solar $?? billion (where ??
is too huge to contemplate). Yes, wind and solar will come down in
the next 15 to 20 years, but STNP would be ready in 5-6.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The more I drink, the less I think. The less I think,
the better I feel. The better I feel, the more I drink.
And so goes the circle of life.