HOW OLD IS THE GRAND CANYON? PARK SERVICE WON’T SAY

Old January 1st, 2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.retirement,alt.military.retired,soc.veterans,soc.senior.issues
[email protected]

Default HOW OLD IS THE GRAND CANYON? PARK SERVICE WON'T SAY

RF wrote:
due
to pressure from Bush administration appointees. Despite promising a
prompt review of its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was
created by Noah's flood

This idea could work provided we place the" flood" at about 6,000,000
years ago and allow that it lasted thousands of years. A good
compromise I think.

Dave

Old January 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.retirement,alt.military.retired,soc.veterans,soc.senior.issues
pltrgyst

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:15:16 -0500, sechumlib
wrote:

Yes, it is my position that federal agencies should be censored from
dealing in religious teachings.

It is my position that you should learn what words mean before you use
them.

-- Larry

Old January 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.veterans
sechumlib

On 2006-12-31 14:08:30 -0500, "Keith Willshaw"
said:

So is it your position that federal agencies should engage in censorship ?

Yes, it is my position that federal agencies should be censored from
dealing in religious teachings.

What would you know of religious teachings?

More than you, probably.

Old January 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On 1 Jan 2007 08:40:13 -0800, "
wrote:

RF wrote:
due
to pressure from Bush administration appointees. Despite promising a
prompt review of its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was
created by Noah's flood

This idea could work provided we place the" flood" at about 6,000,000
years ago and allow that it lasted thousands of years. A good
compromise I think.

But here's the problem. The Grand Canyon was formed when the land
rose while the Colorado River sort of stayed where it was...

Old January 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
KGB

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 09:41:27 -0500, "POIUYT"
wrote:

Why should I care how old the Grand Canyon is?? I was there before I was
born. SNIP

Proof once again that many folks have too much time on their hands!

Hi

Especially those, like yourself, who have been re-incarnated!!!

8^)

Regards
KGB

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.retirement,alt.military.retired,soc.veterans,soc.senior.issues
Keith Willshaw

"TheNewsGuy (Mike)" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw wrote:

So I take it you are in favour of their banning the bible too eh !

Keith

Not at all. Just that the NPS should not be FORCED to sell religious
texts. That is not their job.

It has not been demonstrated that they have been. Indeed the
original allegation that they didnt give a clear answer re the
age of the Grand Canyon has been shown to be false.

As a matter of fact most commercial services in national parks
inlcuding bookstores are provided by commercial owned
concessionaires.

They are there to promote knowledge and understanding of nature and the
geology of the area.

Well no, their mission is to preserve the park for the enjoyment, education
and inspiration of the people who use it. The task of explaining its geology
and origins falls to other organisations such as the USGS

Keith

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.retirement,alt.military.retired,soc.veterans,soc.senior.issues
Keith Willshaw

"PTravel" wrote in message
t...

The question isn't whether they should censor a book, but whether the
National Park Service has any business selling a religious text in the
first place.

So I take it you are in favour of their banning the bible too eh !

Keith

I'm not sure what you mean by "banning the bible." The NPS has no
business selling bibles, if that's what you mean -- doing so would violate
the First Amendment.

Only it it also refused to sell the Koran , Torah and Buddhist texts etc.
Given that I have seen books for sale in the park bookshop detailing the
religious practises of the native Americans living in the area I wonder
why it should be verboten to sell other religious tomes.

Keith

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.retirement,alt.military.retired,soc.veterans,soc.senior.issues
Keith Willshaw

On 2006-12-31 14:10:52 -0500, "Keith Willshaw"
said:

So I take it you are in favour of their banning the bible too eh !

Yes, as a matter of fact I am. The National Park Service would have no
business selling bibles. (So far as I know, it doesn't now, so what's your
REAL gripe?)

My gripe lies with the fact that the OP posted an untruth when claiming
that the NPS doesnt give a clear answer regarding the Canyon's age.

They do, all and any other claims he makes are thus somewhat discredited.

As for religious books I recall buying a very interesting book on Navajo
and Hopi religous beliefs at the park bookstand. It would have been
a pity to ban it.

Keith

Old January 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:51:22 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"

.. .
On 2006-12-31 14:10:52 -0500, "Keith Willshaw"
said:

So I take it you are in favour of their banning the bible too eh !

Yes, as a matter of fact I am. The National Park Service would have no
business selling bibles. (So far as I know, it doesn't now, so what's your
REAL gripe?)

My gripe lies with the fact that the OP posted an untruth when claiming
that the NPS doesnt give a clear answer regarding the Canyon's age.

They do, all and any other claims he makes are thus somewhat discredited.

As for religious books I recall buying a very interesting book on Navajo
and Hopi religous beliefs at the park bookstand. It would have been
a pity to ban it.

But, still, it raises interesting constitutional questions.

Old January 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.retirement,alt.military.retired,soc.veterans,soc.senior.issues
Dave Smith

"TheNewsGuy (Mike)" wrote:

So I take it you are in favour of their banning the bible too eh !

Keith

Not at all. Just that the NPS should not be FORCED to sell religious
texts. That is not their job. They are there to promote knowledge and
understanding of nature and the geology of the area.

Unfortunately the superstitious twits who subscribe to some of
the more bizarre religious denominations are convinced that their
god created the earth and everything on it. If we have to cater
to one religion that we have to cater to all of them, so if we
feel obliged to allow a platform for fundamentalist Christians
than we will also have to allow other religious factoids,
meaning an Islamic version, a Hindu version, a Sikh version, a
few dozen native American books of lore, all with equal shelf
space. I suppose we could also have some essays from some of the
main stream denominations who have some to accept that the
Genesis store is just allegory.