Going through a time zone?

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Going through a time zone?

In article , Brian K
wrote:

Two negatives make a positive. In other words you are saying: 'It is
standard procedure on Celebrity to put it in the Daily'?

yep.

--
Charles
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Patrick Eagan[_2_]

On the Maasdam last summer going from Boston to Rotterdam no one
complained about losing an hour of sleep as we went through time zones.
The ship's time was changed at noon.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Patrick Eagan
wrote:

On the Maasdam last summer going from Boston to Rotterdam no one
complained about losing an hour of sleep as we went through time zones.
The ship's time was changed at noon.

That is interesting. Never heard of it done that way before. Thanks for
posting about it. Wonder if it is done that way on other ships? Still
lose the hour though.

--
Charles
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 3/25/10 7:03 PM, Charles wrote:
In , Patrick Eagan
wrote:

On the Maasdam last summer going from Boston to Rotterdam no one
complained about losing an hour of sleep as we went through time zones.
The ship's time was changed at noon.

That is interesting. Never heard of it done that way before. Thanks for
posting about it. Wonder if it is done that way on other ships? Still
lose the hour though.

Maybe they do that with all the hidden seniors on board HAL ships....
because with everyone going to bed before 9:00 pm... nobody's awake at
night to change the clocks.

--Tom
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Go Fig

On Mar 25, 3:56*am, Patrick Eagan
wrote:
On the Maasdam last summer going from Boston to Rotterdam no one
complained about losing an hour of sleep as we went through time zones.
The ship's time was changed at noon.

That's how it's been on my numerous one-way cruises too.

I think if the ship returns to the same port that the cruise started
in, you'll remain on "home port" time. If it's a one-way cruise, then
they move clocks at noon, so it's very deliberate, and the captain
makes the announcement at the time... along with the weather and
sometimes the nautical miles traveled in the past 24 hours.

jay
Thu Mar 25, 2010

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

wrote:
On the Maasdam last summer going from Boston to Rotterdam no one
complained about losing an hour of sleep as we went through time zones.
The ship's time was changed at noon.

That's how it's been on my numerous one-way cruises too.

I think if the ship returns to the same port that the cruise started
in, you'll remain on "home port" time. If it's a one-way cruise, then
they move clocks at noon, so it's very deliberate, and the captain
makes the announcement at the time... along with the weather and
sometimes the nautical miles traveled in the past 24 hours.

jay
Thu Mar 25, 2010

Hi All,

Interesting how one can fail to notice, or to store in long memory, little
things in life, for instance a ship changing time zones. I recall that it
happened, at least some of the time, but never noticed if there was a
pattern to the action. From now on, I'm sure the time change procedure will
be remembered.

On a similar circumstance, recently the US and several other countries have
changed to and from daylight time on different dates, several weeks apart.
I seem to remember that all, or most, countries used a common date in the
past. Is this accurate or is my "old-timers" kicking in? If accurate, does
anybody know why it changed?

My father in law was an MD. As a freshman in med school he knew nothing.
As a sophomore, he knew everything there was to know. As he finished med
school, a few doubts crept in. After 30 years in practice, he was pretty
sure he didn't know anything. It seems like I know a lot of people who live
their lives as sophomores. Anybody else live in my world?

Harry Cooper

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 3/26/10 12:03 AM, in article
, "Charles"
wrote:

In article , Patrick Eagan
wrote:

On the Maasdam last summer going from Boston to Rotterdam no one
complained about losing an hour of sleep as we went through time zones.
The ship's time was changed at noon.

That is interesting. Never heard of it done that way before.

Has been standard procedure for ages.

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Patrick Eagan[_2_]

wrote:

On the Maasdam last summer going from Boston to Rotterdam no one
complained about losing an hour of sleep as we went through time zones.
The ship's time was changed at noon.

That is interesting. Never heard of it done that way before. Thanks for
posting about it. Wonder if it is done that way on other ships? Still
lose the hour though.

Maybe they do that with all the hidden seniors on board HAL ships....
because with everyone going to bed before 9:00 pm... nobody's awake at
night to change the clocks.

--Tom

Tom,
If you had ever been on a HAL ship you would know that at 9:00 PM
most of the passengers are still eating. Some still from the early sitting!

Padraic
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 3/26/10 10:52 AM, in article
, "Seehorse Video"
wrote:

I think if the ship returns to the same port that the cruise started
in, you'll remain on "home port" time.

Not if she's visiting ports in other time zones.

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:57:01 +0100, peter
wrote:

On 3/26/10 10:52 AM, in article
, "Seehorse Video"
wrote:

I think if the ship returns to the same port that the cruise started
in, you'll remain on "home port" time.

Not if she's visiting ports in other time zones.

Caribbean ships that I have been on are about 50-50 in ship time v
local. Carnival IIRC has always been a ship time while others have
gone loca. I have laways passed the chnage at night. (Celebrity,
Princess, RSSC, Cunard. e.g.)
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com