Ever lost your credit cards or ID while traveling?

Old December 14th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Steve

Default Ever lost your credit cards or ID while traveling?

Do people ever worry when their traveling what would happen if they
lost their credit cards or ID? That's what happened to me! I didn't
know who to call to report my cards stolen, or how to get a new
passport, or what to do to make sure someone didn't use my passport
and SSN to steal my identity!

There are lots of things you can do to make sure this doesn't happen
to you. The best way I found is to be prepared. There are free
services on the web that can help you protect yourself.

My favorite page is:
http://www.cardguardusa.com

On their site I used their free CardPages to create a list of all my
emergency contact numbers that I would need next time I lose any
important documents or credit cards. And I can access my CardPages
from anywhere via the internet.

Here are some other great pages I found that have some great
information on identity theft and fraud.

http://www.cardguardusa.com
http://www.cardguard.ca
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/idtheft.html
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/idtheft.htm

**Please copy and distribute freely.
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Don Howe

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Another thing to consider---- if your wife is carrying the same Credit
Card(s) as the ones stolen from you. Before you call to report them stolen
go to the nearest ATM and draw as much cash, using her card(s), as you can.
This should tide you over until the replacement(s) arrive.

When I reported mine lost from Rome VISA said the replacement would be
delivered to our hotel in Salerno the next evening. Right on the money.
Pun intended. It was a very long day.

Old December 16th, 2003, 02:19 PM
me

"Don Howe" wrote in message news:ECmDb.714062$6C4.505969@pd7tw1no...
[snip]
When I reported mine lost from Rome VISA said the replacement would be
delivered to our hotel in Salerno the next evening. Right on the money.
Pun intended. It was a very long day.

One of the nice things about Amex is that they have field offices
alot of places that can issue a replacement card within about an hour.
In 20 years, I've done it twice, and it actually does take about an hour.
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:50 PM
billfrogg

After 30 years of travelling up and down Italy,last year my pocket was
picked on the subway. They got two cards.....two different ones were
tucked away elsewhere on my person. I went at once to Amex at Piazza
di Spagna and got the card cancelled; borrowed my friend's cell phone
and got on to Visa in NY and got that one cancelled. Then we went to
lunch. No sweat, minimal panic. Rule !.Get on the phone instantly. Rule
2. Eat....don't let your blood sugar and adrenaline ruin the rest of
your day. buon viaggio billfrogg
In article ECmDb.714062$6C4.505969@pd7tw1no, Don Howe
wrote:

om...

Old December 21st, 2003, 12:11 PM
freeda

" Do people ever worry when their traveling what would happen if they
lost their credit cards or ID? That's what happened to me! I didn't
know who to call to report my cards stolen, or how to get a new
passport, or what to do to make sure someone didn't use my passport
and SSN to steal my identity!

There are lots of things you can do to make sure this doesn't happen
to you. The best way I found is to be prepared. There are free
services on the web that can help you protect yourself.

I scan and upload all my docs to a secure website along with any contact
numbers.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Mandarinmint Mandarinmint is offline
Member

Someone stole my purse and I lost EVERYTHING. Not just my credit cards. I lost my ID, my credit cards, my check book, my ATM debit card. . .it was pretty horrendous. At least I had my passport safe in my luggage, so that was a godsend. It is EXTREMELY annoying, horrible, inconvenient and scary when something like that happens. I was so stressed, it ruined my vacation because all I did was call and cancel credit cards, try to monitor if any suspicious activity was happening on my card, my bank accounts, etc. So I have to underline the importance of keeping your identity secure while traveling. This site has very good tips:

http://gabwith.us/how-to-avoid-ident...-staying-safe/

It may seem like a hassle but believe me, when you actually lose everything, it won't seem like a hassle anymore.