Miami to Orlando

Old March 8th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Konrad Den Ende

Default Miami to Orlando

I seem to have much trouble finding a way to get from Miami to Orlando. The
only option i find is byt rantal car and that's not a real option since my
DL isn't valid in US. Any tip on how to get from Miami to Orlando relatively
cheap?

--

Kindly
Konrad

Sleep - thing used by ineffective people
as a substitute for coffee

Ambition - a poor excuse for not having
enough sense to be lazy

Old March 8th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Konrad Den Ende" wrote in message
I seem to have much trouble finding a way to get from Miami to Orlando.

The
only option i find is byt rantal car and that's not a real option since my
DL isn't valid in US. Any tip on how to get from Miami to Orlando

relatively
cheap?

Greyhound bus

http://www.greyhound.com/

There are several buses a day , time is about 6 hours
and the fare is around $30 each way with advance purchase

Alternatively amtrak have a train at 7 AM and another at 10.35 AM
Travel time is around 5 and half hours and its about $58 return

www.amtrak.com

Keith

Old March 8th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Konrad Den Ende

Greyhound bus
http://www.greyhound.com/

There are several buses a day , time is about 6 hours
and the fare is around $30 each way with advance purchase

Thanks. I was hoping for a shorter time travel, though. I checked
on the map, it's not that far between those cities. How come it
takes such a painfully long time for the bus?

One of the buses goes from Miami to Orlando in 11 hours, like if it
was going in circles. Are there such great trafic problems in Florida?

Old March 8th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:23:57 +0100, "Konrad Den Ende"
wrote:

Greyhound bus
http://www.greyhound.com/

There are several buses a day , time is about 6 hours
and the fare is around $30 each way with advance purchase

Thanks. I was hoping for a shorter time travel, though. I checked
on the map, it's not that far between those cities. How come it
takes such a painfully long time for the bus?

One of the buses goes from Miami to Orlando in 11 hours, like if it
was going in circles. Are there such great trafic problems in Florida?

I missed some of this thread so at risk of repeating info I'll
point out that an AMTRAK train departs Miami at 07:00 and arrives
Orlando at 12:12 and another at 10:35 arriving 15:43

Old March 8th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

One of the buses goes from Miami to Orlando in 11 hours, like if it
was going in circles. Are there such great trafic problems in Florida?

You need to see an actual schedule, but some buses will probably
be expresses, using the Interstate or Turnpike, and others will
stop at every town along the way.

Old March 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Dan Foster

In article , Konrad Den Ende wrote:
Greyhound bus
http://www.greyhound.com/

There are several buses a day , time is about 6 hours
and the fare is around $30 each way with advance purchase

Thanks. I was hoping for a shorter time travel, though. I checked
on the map, it's not that far between those cities. How come it
takes such a painfully long time for the bus?

The 6 hours express schedule could conceivably include some 'padding' in
order to ensure they still deliver passengers to destination on time even
if the bus has to deal with rush hour traffic, or leaves a bit late.

They also build in a few layovers (where the bus stops, doesn't move -- can
stretch your legs, get food, whatever) into the schedule... for bus 0403,
it has three layovers; one is 5m, one is 15m, and one is 20m, accounting
for 40 'extra' minutes of what is ordinarily about a 4 hour drive by car.

One of the buses goes from Miami to Orlando in 11 hours, like if it
was going in circles. Are there such great trafic problems in Florida?

Nah. More stops (due to being a non-express route), layovers, and/or a
change of bus.

-Dan
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Shawn \Me\ Hearn

In article ,
"Konrad Den Ende" wrote:

I seem to have much trouble finding a way to get from Miami to Orlando. The
only option i find is byt rantal car and that's not a real option since my
DL isn't valid in US. Any tip on how to get from Miami to Orlando relatively
cheap?

Are you sure your driver's license isn't valid in the United States? The
United States recognizes drivers licenses for visitors from most
countries so unless your DL is expired or suspended at home, it is
probably valid here in the states.

Failing that, your best option is to take a local commutor flight from
Miami's airport to Orlando's.
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Konrad Den Ende

Thanks. I'll check AmTracks site again. For some reason i always
get confused there. Too tired, mayby...

Old March 9th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
Konrad Den Ende wrote:

There are several buses a day , time is about 6 hours
and the fare is around $30 each way with advance purchase

Thanks. I was hoping for a shorter time travel, though. I checked
on the map, it's not that far between those cities. How come it
takes such a painfully long time for the bus?

Probably because the bus makes several intermediate stops. I'm guessing
(not having a schedule handy) that the typical Greyhound bus heading north
out of Miami also stops at Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Boca
Raton, Boynton Beach, and West Palm Beach. (might skip one or two)
These are all major towns along the coast. After West Palm Beach, a bus
may very well run mostly nonstop to Orlando; there isn't very much in
between.

Even if a bus uses the expressway (motorway) for most of its route,
getting to and from the bus station in each city is time consuming. For
example, detouring from I-95 to the Fort Lauderdale bus station would
probably consume about a half hour.

One of the buses goes from Miami to Orlando in 11 hours, like if it
was going in circles. Are there such great trafic problems in Florida?

That one is probably a "local" bus that uses the non-expressway US-1 route
from Miami to West Palm Beach (very slow), and possibly US-441 via
Okeechobee instead of the Florida Turnpike.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old March 9th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Konrad Den Ende" wrote in message
Greyhound bus
http://www.greyhound.com/

There are several buses a day , time is about 6 hours
and the fare is around $30 each way with advance purchase

Thanks. I was hoping for a shorter time travel, though. I checked
on the map, it's not that far between those cities. How come it
takes such a painfully long time for the bus?

One of the buses goes from Miami to Orlando in 11 hours, like if it
was going in circles. Are there such great trafic problems in Florida?

It's a four hour drive, so a six hour bus ride isn't unreasonable. There is
a train,but it is almost certainly slower than the bus, plus the train
station is not actually in Orlando.