NCL First To Offer Cell Phone Service!

Old August 20th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Charles

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

Do you remember that at some really fancy restaurants, you would get a
call and the maitre d' would bring a phone to your table so you could
take your call right there. It's never happened to me, but I've seen
it in old Perry Mason's. That never happened at a more ordinary
eating establishment.

I never got any calls at restaurants or saw anyone else get any either.
Probably only happened on Perry Mason. Boy did I like that dumb show.

As far as cell phones in restaurants, seen plenty using them at other
tables and it doesn't bother me, even seen people with laptops on the
table at fancy restaurants, but if you are at a restaurant with someone
or someones it might be rude to take the call. I let my calls go to
voicemail in a restaurant in that situation.

How come we got from that to the idea that someone talking on the
phone in a public space was rude?

From riding trains with cell phone users. On a train are sharing space
in an enclosed area. Some people really are rude in the way they share
their conversations and ringtones.

I have seen people use cell phones on cruise ships and used mine a
little myself. They do work at ports. Cell phone users have not been
bothersome on ships at ports so I don't think it will be doom if they
can be used at sea. I think there should be cell phone free areas.
Besides the show lounges and some other obvious areas the main dining
room should be phone free. The buffet on the other hand should be okay.

--
Charles
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
As far as cell phones in restaurants, seen plenty using them at other
tables and it doesn't bother me, even seen people with laptops on the
table at fancy restaurants, but if you are at a restaurant with someone
or someones it might be rude to take the call. I let my calls go to
voicemail in a restaurant in that situation.

How come we got from that to the idea that someone talking on the
phone in a public space was rude?

From riding trains with cell phone users. On a train are sharing space
in an enclosed area. Some people really are rude in the way they share
their conversations and ringtones.

I agree, Charles, I do not like sitting next to someone when they are using
their cell phone..on a train, bus or in the airport...
Worst of all, talking and laughing loudly in a doctor's office...I remember
when I was so ill, 18 months ago and spent so much time having tests and
procedures in clinic areas, it was so annoying and irritating..I could
understand if it were an emergency but once it was about a date this girl
had and she went on and on laughing loudly while she was waiting for her
mother who was being seen...Now when I sit waiting for my appointment and I
see people who are so visibly ill, I know just how they must feel...If I
have to use my cell phone, which I seldom do, I go outside of the office and
NEVER while seated next to someone..I consider that very rude and intrusive.
As for people who drive and use their cell phone, I consider that unsafe and
especially when they are traveling 10 miles below the speed limit and it is
not safe to pass them...There again, I feel that some use their phone just
to visit and not out of necessity...Being a person who likes to keep both
hands on the wheel when driving and concentrate on what's happening around
me, I can never talk on a cell phone in the car unless I'm not the one
driving...

Phones used on outside decks of ships do not bother me at all...I have done
it, but I move as far away from people as I can, not to annoy them and have
my privacy too!
Off my soapbox! ;-)

--Jean

Old August 20th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Mike Cordelli

Very interesting move to offer both 900 and 1900. The 900 band is not
common in the US, I don't believe it's used at all in the US, but is in most
of the rest of the world. The 1900 band is used mostly in the US and not in
the rest of the world. They get everybody to be able to use their phones,
there is virtually no GSM phone on the planet that doesn't have one of those
two bands on it.

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

I received this information from Norwegian Cruise Lines and thought it
would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings,
they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Norwegian Cruise Line First To Offer Onboard Cell Phone Service for
North American Cruises

MIAMI Aug. 17, 2004
NCL Corporation today announced that it will be the first cruise line
to bring passengers on North American cruises the ability to use their
cell phones even when communications towers are oceans away. The
company is providing the innovative new offering through Wireless
Maritime Services, a joint venture of AT&T Wireless and Maritime
Telecommunications Network (MTN).

Leading the way in shipboard technology, NCL pioneered the industry's
first Internet access on the high seas with its Internet cafe in 1999.
In 2002, NCL became the first cruise line to provide remote wireless
Internet (also known as Wi-Fi) to its guests. Both services are now
standard throughout NCL's entire fleet.

"Cutting-edge onboard technology is important to our guests," said
Colin Veitch, NCL's president and CEO. "While we recognize that some
guests traveling with us choose to disconnect, others need to stay
connected to loved ones or business associates in order to get away -
it's just another choice offered to our guests as part of the
Freestyle Cruising experience."

The new technology is expected to be introduced on the Norwegian Sun
as soon as next month and could be available fleet-wide within a year.
The offering combines satellite and wireless services, enabling
passengers to make and receive calls on their own cell phones with
their own phone numbers while in international waters.

The service will be available to most passengers with GSM phones that
operate at 900 MHz and 1900 MHz, which are common in the U.S. These
passengers will be able to make and receive both voice calls and text
messages. In addition, the planned offering will enable passengers
with data-capable GSM/GPRS devices to access data services, such as
email and picture messaging. Passengers will be billed by the carrier
to whom they subscribe at roaming rates set by that carrier, just as
if they were roaming on land instead of at sea.

Earlier this year, AT&T Wireless and MTN announced the formation of
Wireless Maritime Services, which combines MTN's expertise in
providing satellite services to the cruise industry with the expertise
of AT&T Wireless in delivering wireless services to consumer and
business travelers. Wireless Maritime Service was formed to develop
and launch this convenient and affordable communications offering for
cruise ships.

About NCL Corporation

NCL Corporation is an innovative cruise company headquartered in
Miami, Florida. With a fleet of 14 ships in service and under
construction, the corporation oversees the operations of NCL, NCL
America and Orient Lines. On July 4, 2004, NCL made U.S. maritime
history when it introduced the reflagged Pride of Aloha, the first
modern U.S.-flagged cruise ship in nearly 50 years. The 2,002
passenger ship is 100% U.S.-crewed, with most seafarers hailing from
Hawai`i. The company is currently building three ships - Pride of
America (delivery on June 6, 2005), Norwegian Jewel (delivery in
August 2005) and Pride of Hawai`i (delivery in April 2006).

For further information on NCL or NCL America, please contact your
travel professional.

About Maritime Telecommunications Network

Maritime Telecommunications Network, Inc. (MTN), the leader in
maritime communications, provides broadband solutions for voice, data,
Internet and compressed video services to the cruise and other
offshore industries and to the U.S. Government using state-of-the-art
VSAT technology. MTN's Digital Seas Internet product, the first
Information Technology concession, provides turnkey Internet Cafes and
Wi-Fi Hot Spots to the cruise and offshore industries. MTN is
majority-owned by Falconhead Capital, a private investment firm. More
information on MTN is available at www.mtnsat.com.

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE - News) is the second-largest wireless
carrier, based on revenues, in the United States. With 21.737 million
subscribers as of June 30, 2004, and revenues of more than $16.8
billion over the past four quarters, AT&T Wireless delivers advanced
high-quality mobile wireless communications services, voice and data,
to businesses and consumers, in the U.S. and internationally.

Forward Looking Statements

This press release contains "forward-looking statements'' which are
based on management's beliefs as well as on a number of assumptions
concerning future events made by management with information that is
currently available to management. Forward-looking statements may
include, without limitation, management's expectations regarding: our
future financial and operating performance and financial condition,
including the company's outlook for the fiscal year 2004 and
subsequent periods; the outcome of our pending transaction with
Cingular; subscriber growth; industry conditions; the strength of our
balance sheet; our liquidity and needs for additional financing; and
our ability to increase revenue, margins and operating free cash flow.

Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such
forward-looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance
and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many
of which are outside AT&T Wireless' control, that could cause actual
results to differ materially from such statements. Without limitation
these factors include: the risks associated with the implementation of
our technology migration strategy, uncertainty concerning the effects
of our pending transaction with Cingular, our ability to continue to
reduce costs and increase the efficiency of our distribution channels,
the potential competitive impacts of industry consolidation or
alternative technologies, potential impacts on revenue and ARPU from
competitive pricing and slowing penetration in the wireless industry,
the effects of vigorous competition in the markets in which we
operate, the risk of decreased consumer spending due to softening
economic conditions, acts of terrorism, and consumer response to new
service offerings.

For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a
difference, please see AT&T Wireless' filings with the Securities and
Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading
"Additional Factors That May Affect Our Business, Future Operating
Results and Financial Condition" and "Forward Looking Statements" in
its quarterly report on Form 10-Q filed on August 6, 2004.

Old August 20th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Rosalie B.

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote:

Howie,

Why is it that the folks with the most to say about behavior on a cruise
ship, Rosalie and Bicker, admit that they have never been on one?

Shouldn't that a pre-requisite for bitching?

This wasn't about cruise ship behavior per se. And I wasn't the one
doing the bitching.

DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Howie" wrote in message
Rosalie B. wrote:

I am totally befuddled by the venom that people display towards cell
phone users.

Me too, Rosalie. Folks need to chill about this.

How come we got from that to the idea that someone talking on the
phone in a public space was rude? A phone ringing in the middle of a
concert would be bad, but I don't see that a phone conversation is any
more rude to a passerby than a conversation with another person is.

I'm with you on this one, as well. Some on this newsgroup seem to waste
an awful lot of their valuable cruising time tuned into what THEY
consider rude behavior of fellow Pax. Life is much too short to waste
one's with so much negativity.

Someone said they thought it rude to use a cell phone in an airport.
That's a primary place where I WOULD use one (and I HAVE been in
airports). Why pay to make a call for a taxi or someone to pick you
up at the pay phone when you can use your mobile? And you have to be
at the airport so darned early now - what else do you do with your 2
hours after you've checked in? Why not talk to friends.

grandma Rosalie

Old August 20th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Someone said they thought it rude to use a cell phone in an airport.
That's a primary place where I WOULD use one (and I HAVE been in
airports). Why pay to make a call for a taxi or someone to pick you
up at the pay phone when you can use your mobile? And you have to be
at the airport so darned early now - what else do you do with your 2
hours after you've checked in? Why not talk to friends.

No problem, Rosalie, but all I ask is for cell phone users to move away from
other people if they wish to spend their time that way....If one has to get
up at 4am to catch a 7am flight and has an hour or two to just close their
eyes and relax, they don't need someone next to them shouting into a cell
phone for all to hear...There are nearby gates where no plane is leaving..it
would just make sense to move over there and talk all you want in
privacy...I don't think that is asking too much...

--Jean