7 days in NYC in early May.

Old April 16th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Jimi_thing

Default 7 days in NYC in early May.

SOme thoughts, and probably some stupid questions, about my first stay
from Italy in New York City.

I booked at Intercontinental Hotel the Barclay, it's at 111 east 48th
street. VERY expensive: still I think I've been a fool to choose this
one, but then again, I think it is in New York that's worth to do such
once in a lifetime experience :-)

Suggestions to have a good breakfast around there early in the morning?

Would you discourage tourists from using the subway during rush hours? I
understand it's overcrowded around 8 to 9 am, and 4.30 to 6.30 pm,
correct me if I am wrong. I guess the Buses will be packed full as well,
then our choice would be to get around by foot...

Yankee game: I'd prefer not to buy a ticket in advance, but should I
expect a game versus Seattle on a Wednesday at 1 pm to be sold out if I
show up 1 hour before starting time or so?

Tipping: ok, I need a lot of 1 dollar bills in my pockets; but what
happens if I have just a 20 $ bill, for, let's say, a 5 $ tip? How would
the guy react if I ask him for the change? ;-P

I should tip who provide me some service, right? So tips are for taxi
drivers,
waitresses/waiters in restaurants, bartenders, chamber maid in hotel, ,
but not for doorman for just opening the door or when we have food to go
and therefore we are not seated...

Reservations: since I am afraid we won't be able to have a proper
schedule, it would be nice to have the opportunity to eat at Luger
Steakhouse (and the like) without having to call in advance: if lunch
time is less crowded in restaurants ,and no reservation needed, would be
ok...

I was trying to fit in my 7 days stay some of the outer borough too,
like FLushing in Queens and Coney Island in Brooklyn; but I am coming to
the conclusion that it might be too much to do in too little time. So,
just Manhattan (and Brooklyn Heights, and Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, of
course) for a first timer sounds a better idea...
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Jim Reston

I wouldn't be discouraged about using the subway during rush hours. Even
though they might be a little crowded, there will still be enough room
for you to board the trains and its the fastest way to travel around
NYC. This will be important as your only in NYC for a short time and
you'll want to get where you want to go without wasting time.
In terms of money for tipping, you could always change larger bills
into $1 bills at any bank so you'll have enough for tipping purposes. I
don't think the person being tipped would mind making change for you as
long as they knew you were tipping them anyway. As far as who and how
much you should tip, there are alot of websites that have that
information available. Probably best to do an internet search for
"tipping" and you'll get lots of results.
Enjoy your trip and have a great time in New York!
Jim Reston,
New Jersey

Old April 17th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Steve Cain

My thought regarding breakfast, it won't happen "early." Eight seems to be
the hour of choice. Try http://www.bubbys.com/directions.htm in Tribeca.
Very good Bloody Marys! "Good Enough To Eat" is another suggestion if
you're heading up just west of Central Park.
Might want to check out a musical such as "Wicked" but it's likely you'll
need to bid on Ebay for such and likely to cost $140 or so as many are sold
out.
Buy an unlimited Metro Card and ride the buses and metros to your hearts
delight. http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/m....htm#unlimited
Enjoy!! s

Old April 17th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Pan

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:32:11 GMT, "Jimi_thing"
wrote:

SOme thoughts, and probably some stupid questions, about my first stay
from Italy in New York City.

I booked at Intercontinental Hotel the Barclay, it's at 111 east 48th
street. VERY expensive: still I think I've been a fool to choose this
one,

It'll probably be really pleasant. Please let us know.

but then again, I think it is in New York that's worth to do such
once in a lifetime experience :-)

Suggestions to have a good breakfast around there early in the morning?

I really don't know, as I haven't had breakfast around there. That
area is full of office workers, so there are a lot of
sandwich-and-pastry places, for example on Lexington Av. I really
couldn't tell you which are best, though.

Would you discourage tourists from using the subway during rush hours?

No.

understand it's overcrowded around 8 to 9 am, and 4.30 to 6.30 pm,
correct me if I am wrong.

More like 7 or 7:30 (I'm seldom up that early) to 9:30 and 3:00-7:30.

I guess the Buses will be packed full as well,

Even more so at certain times.

then our choice would be to get around by foot...

Foot is great, but as long as you don't mind squeezing in, don't be
afraid of taking the subway or bus during rush hours. It's part of
your New York experience, just like taking the bus at rush hour in
Rome was part of my Rome experience.

Yankee game: I'd prefer not to buy a ticket in advance, but should I
expect a game versus Seattle on a Wednesday at 1 pm to be sold out if I
show up 1 hour before starting time or so?

Look here for ticket availability:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D00398FF4158531?

I'm not sure if any bleacher seats are held for sale at game time, but
you really don't want a bleacher seat for your first baseball game. If
I were you, I'd suck it up, buy tickets in advance for the upper deck
behind the plate or near 1st base or 3rd base, and if you like, have
the tickets be left for you at the "Will Call" booth, so you can pick
them up before the game. Or you could roll the dice and probably could
get seats, but there's no way to guarantee that.

Tipping: ok, I need a lot of 1 dollar bills in my pockets; but what
happens if I have just a 20 $ bill, for, let's say, a 5 $ tip? How would
the guy react if I ask him for the change? ;-P

It's totally normal to ask for change in that situation.

I should tip who provide me some service, right? So tips are for taxi
drivers,

Yes.

waitresses/waiters in restaurants,

Yes.

bartenders,

Yes.

chamber maid in hotel, ,

A lot of people don't leave tips for them, but you'll see that some
people consider them the most deserving of tips of all.

but not for doorman for just opening the door or when we have food to go
and therefore we are not seated...

Agreed.

Reservations: since I am afraid we won't be able to have a proper
schedule, it would be nice to have the opportunity to eat at Luger
Steakhouse (and the like) without having to call in advance: if lunch
time is less crowded in restaurants ,and no reservation needed, would be
ok...

Reservations are very likely to be needed at Luger, but you could
always try calling them the day before or even the same day. It
couldn't hurt.

I was trying to fit in my 7 days stay some of the outer borough too,
like FLushing in Queens and Coney Island in Brooklyn; but I am coming to
the conclusion that it might be too much to do in too little time. So,
just Manhattan (and Brooklyn Heights, and Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, of
course) for a first timer sounds a better idea...

Sure. You can always come back a second time if you like your first
visit.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Pan

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:22:14 -0600, "Steve Cain"
wrote:

My thought regarding breakfast, it won't happen "early." Eight seems to be
the hour of choice. Try http://www.bubbys.com/directions.htm in Tribeca.

[snip]

You really like Bubby's? I haven't been there for some time, but it's
always struck me as very overpriced (TriBeCa rents) and just OK. But
note that he's at 111 East 48 St. and asking for a good breakfast
_around there_. You couldn't get too much further away within
Manhattan than TriBeCa. If he wants breakfast downtown, dim sum in a
Chinatown eating hall like Grand Harmony on Mott St. just north of
Canal would be a way better value, and I believe they open before 8
AM, but certainly by 8.

Old April 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM
robert stephens

Hello!

So, it looks like my wife and I (and our newborn) are taking our first
trip to NYC. Woo Hoo!

This just came up (through work and a free ticket, it turns out the
travel and (possibly) lodging (if the cost is low enough) will be
covered). We are hoping to be there May 27 - June 4.

I've used Google to look at about the past year and a half of this
groups thoughts on NYC, and looked at a couple of websites (including
the official NYC visitor site). I created a brief travel guide for our
(and others) use (I am to attaching it to this in rtf format). If
someone actually wants to take the time to look at it and give feedback,
great (it's 9 pages long).

What I specifically have a question about right now is help in finding
apartment rentals in Manhattan, and thoughts from y'all if this is a
good idea or not.

It seems like renting an apartment will be cheaper for the 8 nights we
will be there, both in cost of lodging and cost of food (I know the New
York restaraunt scene is fantastic, but for a variety of reasons we will
probably not partake of it much).

I've done web searches, but I get a ton of sites, some of which have
been helpful, many not. So if you happen to know of a particular site to
visit for apartment rentals, I'd like to know.

I have a conference for the last half of the the week at the Sheraton
Hotel and Towers. We had a decent conference rate, but it sold out, so
I'm goiong to have to stay elsewhere anyway (we could book at the
Sheraton Manhattan for $249 ... which didn't seem like such a good
rate). I'm expecting to commute for the conference, and from what I've
read, staying almost anywhere in Manhattan will probably be fine. But
near the hotel would be useful.

Any assistance appreciated, other questions to come ...

-Robert

{\rtf1\ansi \deflang1033\deff0{\fonttbl
{\f0\froman \fcharset0 \fprq2 Times New Roman;}}{\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;\red0\green0 \blue255;
\red0\green0\blue255;}
{\stylesheet{\fs20 \snext0 Normal;}
{\*\cs1 \additive\ul\cf3 SYS_HYPERTEXT;}
}\notabind\margl1440\margr1440\hyphhotz936\ftnbj\f et2\ftnrstpg\aftnnar\viewkind1\lytprtmet\subfontby size \sectd \sbknone\headery1440\footery1440\endnhere\endnhere
{\*\pnseclvl1\pndec\pnstart1{\pntxta .}}
{\*\pnseclvl2\pnlcltr\pnstart1{\pntxta .}}
{\*\pnseclvl3\pnlcrm\pnstart1{\pntxta .}}
{\*\pnseclvl4\pndec\pnstart1{\pntxtb (}{\pntxta )}}
{\*\pnseclvl5\pnlcltr\pnstart1{\pntxtb (}{\pntxta )}}
{\*\pnseclvl6\pnlcrm\pnstart1{\pntxtb (}{\pntxta )}}
{\*\pnseclvl7\pndec\pnstart1{\pntxta .}}
{\*\pnseclvl8\pnlcltr\pnstart1{\pntxta .}}
{\*\pnseclvl9\pnlcrm\pnstart1}

{\field{\*\fldinst {\lang4105 SEQ CHAPTER \\h \\r 1}}{\fldrslt }}\pard \fs24
(Information contained below was gleaned or directly gathered from Google Groups and the \softline
websites listed below ... it is NOT the intellectual work of the poster. Many thanks to all of the \softline
rec.travel.usa-canada contributors. Also, it is made a bit with my tastes in mind, so you will see \softline
very little about shopping or restaurants.)\par
\par
New York City is made up of 5 boroughs. Manhattan, which is what everyone thinks of when \softline
they picture New York (Broadway, Times Square, the Empire State, etc.) is an island. Brooklyn \softline
and Queens are two other boroughs which are on Long Island. Though each have interesting \softline
things to see and do, they are hardly destinations for a first-time visitor. The Bronx is the only \softline
borough on the mainland. It is primarily residential, has some very, very rough areas, and, like \softline
Brooklyn and Queens, is not of much interest to a first-timer (unless you want to see the \softline
Yankees play). Staten Island, or Richmond, is yet another island-borough, and is primarily \softline
residential. It is of interest only because you can take a ride to it on the Staten Island ferry -- the \softline
ride is free, and offers spectacular views of the Statue of Liberty and the lower Manhattan \softline
skyline. Manhattan is where you want to be.\par
\par
"Downtown" is lower Manhattan, the oldest part of the city and, primarily, office buildings. \softline
There are things to see in lower Manhattan, but it's not a convenient place to stay. The upper \softline
reaches of lower Manhattan include Chinatown and, depending on how you carve up the \softline
borough, Greenwich Village, the Lower Eastside and other areas of interest.\par
\par
Midtown encompasses Broadway, Times Square, the southern edge of Central Park, Lincoln \softline
Center, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State building, and many other places of interest. It also \softline
features the greatest concentration of hotels and restaurants.\par
\par
"Uptown" isn't accurate as an area designator, only a direction. On either side of Central Park \softline
you will find the upper Eastside and the upper Westside. Both are primarily residential (and, in \softline
most cases, very upscale residential). On the Eastside, you'll find the Guggenheim, the \softline
Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art. On the Westside, you'll find \softline
Lincoln Center. On either side, you'll find lots of restaurants.\par
\par
Above Central Park is Harlem, which has undergone a renaissance and is an interesting place to \softline
visit. Above Harlem is little of interest to a first time visitor. {\plain \fs24 \b \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b (Since I took so much at once ... the above is from Michael on rec.travel.usa-canada)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \b \par
}{\plain \fs40 \b\fs40 Lodging}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Several suggestions for upper west side, some for lower, also Murray hill. Midtown okay but \softline
NOT Times Square (unless you really want the noisy, busy, touristy area)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 anywhere between 30th and 60th probably isn't a bad location for visitors, although some might \softline
like staying further south down in the Soho area. Probably the only place a visitor really \softline
wouldn't like staying is way downtown near Battery Park.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 There are Manhattan hotels that should be $150. Try the Pickwick Arms \softline
(http://www.pickwickarms.com/) or Portland Square (http://www.portlandsquarehotel.com/). \softline
Both have small rooms, and not all of the rooms have private baths. But they are clean and \softline
relatively conveniently located. Also check out the Milford Plaza \softline
(http://www.milfordplaza.com/), Olcott, Excelsior (http://www.nyexcelsiorhotel.com/), and \softline
Wolcott.(http://www.wolcott.com/)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Portland Square - It's a superb location! The room was tiny (as I was told in this forum) \softline
furnished with a good bed, radiator, lavatory, closet, radio/television set atop a place to store sox \softline
and stuff, and a safe. The toilet and shower down the hall are in the same room so if someone's \softline
taking a shower, you might have a problem. The personnel are competent and friendly. The \softline
service was adequate. My 'phone messages were properly handled. The wake-up calls were \softline
always on time. The price was right! Can't find the bill but I think the daily net was about $73. \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 The Guest Rooms at the West Side YMCA 5 West 63rd St.$75 per night. \softline
(http://www.ymcanyc.org/sub.php?p=abo...est/guestrooms)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 The Guest Rooms at the Vanderbilt YMCA 224 East 47th St. $75 per night.\par
}{\plain \fs24 (http://www.ymcanyc.org/sub.php?p=abo...anderbiltabout)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Habitat Hotel (http://www.habitatny.com/) 130 East 57th Street $105 per night. \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Try Hotwire. I got the Hotel Lexington (Radisson) \softline
(http://www.radisson.com/newyorkny_lexington) for $90/night. (Radisson actually came up \softline
several times as a place for around $100 night on Hotwire/Priceline)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 We regularly stay at the Omni Berkshire \softline
(http://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/default.asp?h_id=23) on 52d St between 5th Ave and \softline
Madison. Very nice hotel, very centrally located, and not a wallet buster (by NYC standards, at \softline
least), although its not inexpensive.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 I'd recommend the Novotel, it's a nice modern 3 star hotel with spacious rooms.\par
}{\plain \fs24 (http://www.novotel.com/novotel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml) \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 I don't recommend that neighborhood. It's part of the Midtown area that's crushed with \softline
other tourists. \par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Red Roof Inn, 34th and 5th. ask for a room off the street. \softline
(http://www.redroof.com/reservations/...?innNumber=605)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Roosevelt (http://www.theroosevelthotel.com/) neat Grand Central. \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 the Belvedere (on W. 48th I think) (http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 the Broadway Plaza (27th and Broadway.) (http://www.broadwayplazahotel.com/)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Hotel 17 for $95/night - Good location (http://www.hotel17ny.com/)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Marriott East Side on Lexington Avenue at 49}{\plain \fs24 \super th}{\plain \fs24 \softline
(http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=NYCEA)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs40 \b\fs40 Activities\par
}{\plain \fs24 nycvisit.com\par
}{\plain \fs24 (NYC official Visitor{\u8217\'92}s Guide)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 NYC's Official Visitor Information Center (810 Seventh Avenue between 52nd and 53rd streets)\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 speak with travel counselors and pick up free brochures and discount coupons.\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...al_Guides/\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Pick up a copy of TimeOut NY when you arrive, or the free Village Voice paper. \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Excellent maps are available, gratis, at the Big Apple Tourist Information Center on Broadway \softline
around 45th.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 We went to New York 2 years ago and booked a guide through www.bigapplegreeter.org this is \softline
a free service run by volunteers. Our guide John was excellent he was with us for virtually the \softline
whole day and showed us parts of New York that we wouldn't have found on our own.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 All prices are for adult entrance. Hours were current on 4/15/05.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Bronx}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Bronx Zoo (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.bronxzoo.com/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.bronxzoo.com/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($11 (+ other exhibits))\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Spring/summer 10 - 5:30\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Yankee Stadium (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...park/index.jsp)\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 consider taking the NY Waterway "Yankee Clipper" express ferry to Yankee Stadium \softline
(}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "http://www.nywaterway.com)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 www.nywaterway.com}}}}{\plain \fs24 ) ($18)\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i MANHATTAN\par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Harlem\par
}{\plain \fs24 A Mecca for African-American culture and life for more than a century\par
}{\plain \fs24 interesting to walk through. 125 St. has a feel all its own, and Convent and St. Nicholas Avenues \softline
in the 140s and 150s are beautiful, full of ornamented apartment and private houses. \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Gospel Church in Harlem (Sundays ... should be free (donations gladly accepted), but \softline
stay for the service!)}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\fs24{\plain \fs24 Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.stjohndivine.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.stjohndivine.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($ ?)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Monday - Saturday, from 7 AM to 6 PM, Sunday 7 AM - 7 PM\par
}{\plain \fs24 St. John the Divine is neo-Gothic, a pale imitation of real Gothic cathedrals\par
}{\plain \fs24 The reason I prefer St. John is the size and the accompanying acoustics more than \softline
anything else - most visitors probably won't experience the acoustics so \softline
much(unless they go to the philharmonic's concert on Memorial Day or go to a \softline
service)\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Upper East Side\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Metropolitan Museum of Art (also called the Met ... not to be confused with the other \softline
Met, The Metropolitan Opera) (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.metmuseum.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.metmuseum.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($15 recommended)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 \ul0 \tab Friday, Sat, Sun \ul0 \tab \ul0 \tab 9:30 a.m.{\u8211\'96}9:00 p.m.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \ul0 \tab Monday \ul0 \tab \ul0 \tab Closed (open some holidays)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \ul0 \tab Tuesday, Wed, Thur \ul0 \tab \ul0 \tab 9:30 a.m.{\u8211\'96}5:30 p.m.\par
}{\plain \fs24 The Met will take most of the day, and a couple more. Be selective in what you \softline
choose to see! \ul0 \tab \ul0 \tab \ul0 \tab \ul0 \tab \par
}{\plain \fs24 I'm told if you go to the Met you can enter The Cloisters free on the same day.\par
}{\plain \fs24 It's very big and its collection is unique. Don't shortchange it. If you're an art \softline
lover, budget a few hours and even then, expect that you might want to come \softline
back to see more stuff. Also, feel free to pay the suggested fee if you like, but \softline
note that it's only a suggestion \par
}{\plain \fs24 one of the best in the world and is well worth a visit. \par
}\fs24\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \tab The Guggenheim (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.guggenheim.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.guggenheim.org/new_york_index.shtml)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($15)}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Saturday{\u8211\'96}Wednesday 10 AM{\u8211\'96}5:45 PM, Friday 10 AM{\u8211\'96}8 PM, Closed Thursdays\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Frick (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.frick.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.frick.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($12)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 10am - 6pm Tuesdays -Saturdays; and 1pm -6pm Sundays. Closed Mondays}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\fs24\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \ul0 \tab The Roosevelt Island Tram (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.rioc.com/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.rioc.com/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 (($1.50 each way)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 6:00am to 2:30am (3:30am on weekends)}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Upper West Side}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 American Natural History Museum/Rose Center (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.amnh.org/rose/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.amnh.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($13 suggested, \softline
Center and Nat. Hist. Museum)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 10:00am to 5:45pm. On Fridays the Rose Center remains open until 8:45pm\par
}{\plain \fs24 for Earth and Space\par
}{\plain \fs24 There's a whole museum of natural history attached to the Rose Center (and \softline
included in the price) that would take several days to see, but at least see some of \softline
it. \par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \tab Columbus Circle\par
}\fs24{\plain \fs24 \tab Lincoln Center (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.lincolncenter.org/index2.asp)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.lincolncenter.org/index2.asp)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 The world's largest cultural complex hosts classical ballet, opera, modern dance, \softline
film, and jazz.\par
}{\plain \fs24 Metropolitan Opera (also called the Met ... not to be confused with the other Met, \softline
the Metropolitan Museum)\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \tab Riverside Park\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 (http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_...side_park.html)\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\fs24{\plain \fs24 \b Central Park}{\plain \fs24 (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.centralparknyc.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.centralparknyc.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Walk around Central Park on a nice day, especially on the weekend. \par
}{\plain \fs24 around 72nd St, on a sunny weekend day. Roller disco, boats on the lake, general \softline
niceness.\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Midtown\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 St. Patrick's Cathedral (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.ny-archdiocese.org/pastor...ral_about.html)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.ny-archdiocese.org/pastor...ral_about.html)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 St. Patrick{\u8217\'92}s is nothing special to me\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Hells Kitchen\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 the Mid-town area from about 35th street to 50th street along 9th Avenue. Lots of \softline
great food along 9th Avenue in those blocks. \par
}{\plain \fs24 don't find that interesting, though there are good value restaurants on 9th Av. in \softline
the 40s and lower 50s\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Times Square (http://www.timessquare.com/)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Gaudy, iridescent, touristy, dramatic, whatever. \par
}\fs24{\plain \fs24 Harlem Gospel Choir at BB King Blues Club & Grill}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \softline
}{\plain \fs24 (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.bbkingblues.com/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.bbkingblues.com/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 New York Public Library (mid-Manhattan) (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.nypl.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.nypl.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Mon\ul0 \tab Tue\ul0 \tab Wed\ul0 \tab Thu\ul0 \tab Fri\ul0 \tab Sat \ul0 \tab Sun\par
}{\plain \fs24 9-9 11-7 9-9\ul0 \tab 9-9\ul0 \tab 10-6\ul0 \tab 10-6\ul0 \tab {\u8212\'97}\par
}{\plain \fs24 go up to the Reading Room to view it -- refurbished to former glory and lovely. \softline
Rest up in Bryant Park just behind the Library. A fabulous urban park. \softline
Restaurants there also. \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 David Letterman Late Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater \softline
(http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/)\par
}{\plain \fs24 Grand Central Terminal (http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/pages/default.aspx)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 5:30am until 1:30am.\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 It's probably the "grandest" railroad station in the U.S. \par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Rockefeller Center (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.html)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.html)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 nothing much to look at except for the ice skating rink. Rock Center is just a \softline
group of tall buildings, and Lordy knows, New York City has plenty of other tall \softline
buildings.\par
}{\plain \fs24 True, but it's also a pleasant outdoor space with Art Deco buildings. I've always \softline
liked it. \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Broadway (maybe off-Broadway) show\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 \i TKTS {\u174\'ae} Times Square Theatre Center 47th Street & Broadway}{\plain \fs24 \softline
(http://www.tdf.org/tkts/index.html#)\par
}{\plain \fs24 Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays\par
}{\plain \fs24 for 8pm perfs: 3pm - 8pm; Wednesdays and Saturdays for 2pm matinees: 10am - \softline
2pm; Sundays for matinees: 11am - 3pm; Sundays for evening perfs: 3pm TO \softline
CLOSING\par
}{\plain \fs24 \i TKTS {\u174\'ae} Lower Manhattan Theatre Center at South Street Seaport ( the corner of \softline
Front and John Streets, the rear of the Resnick/Prudential Building at 199 Water \softline
Street )}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Monday - Friday 11:00am to 6:00pm ; Wednesday matinee tickets are available \softline
on Tuesday ONLY; Saturday 11:00am to 7:00pm Saturday matinee tickets are
available on Friday; Sunday matinee and evening tickets will be sold on Saturday.\par
}{\plain \fs24 Please note that there are no tickets for Saturday matinee performances available \softline
on Saturday; Sunday:11am-4pm\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 United Nations (http://www.un.org/english/)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Guided tours are conducted 7 days a week, Monday to Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 \softline
p.m.;Saturday, Sunday and holiday: 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m (no young children)\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Carnegie Hall (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.carnegiehall.org/jsps/intro.jsp)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.carnegiehall.org/jsps/intro.jsp)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 beautiful inside and out and has great acoustics\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \tab Madison Square Garden (http://www.thegarden.com/index.jsp)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 sporting arena\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \tab Chrysler Building \par
}{\plain \fs24 \tab Radio City Music Hall (http://www.radiocity.com/eventcalendar/home)\par
}{\plain \fs24 \tab Empire State Building (http://www.esbnyc.com/)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 I'd recommend purchasing advance tickets to the Empire State Building; \softline
otherwise you may face a time-consuming wait. \par
}{\plain \fs24 Go to the Empire State Building on a clear day \par
}{\plain \fs24 Try to visit the Empire State Building after dark. The view of the city at night \softline
from the observation deck is spectacular. \par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \tab Little Korea\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 located between Broadway/6th Av. and Madison between 32nd and 36th Sts., \softline
seems to be flourishing\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Union Square Area (Chelsea, Gramercy)\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Flatiron Building \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 The Flatiron Building is one of the beautiful buildings near Madison Square Park\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Greenwich Village (or The Village or West Village)\par
}{\plain \fs24 Beautiful houses by day, beautifully-lit bars and restaurants by night. }{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 great place to get lost walking on side streets \par
}{\plain \fs24 Walk and, among other things, look at some beautiful old buildings that are on side streets and at \softline
least in one case (the Ottendorfer Library and Clinic) on 2nd Av. Eat at some of the many \softline
good-value inexpensive-to-moderate-priced restaurants in the neighborhood (more in the East \softline
Village, which is where you're going to be [14th St. is the northern boundary of the East \softline
Village], than the West Village). Hang out in Washington Square Park. Barhop, if you like doing \softline
that.\par
}{\plain \fs24 Walk, wander, explore. Get a snack at Veneiro's bakery. See a show at the Public Theater. \softline
Wander up to the 2nd Avenue Deli for a corned beef sandwich. \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Washington Square park \softline
(http://nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park...gn.php?id=6537)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 they have a statue of Garibaldi, and also a bocce court; on a sunny weekend day \softline
(or weekday afternoon after 5pm). Street acrobats and impromptu singing groups\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 NYU (www.nyu.edu)\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i East Village\par
}{\plain \fs24 fun to walk around}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 NYU (www.nyu.edu)}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i SoHo & TriBeCa\par
}{\plain \fs24 (short for SOuth of HOuston) is an art gallery-type neighborhood with lots of galleries and \softline
boutiques. The Village is the hip/cool/alternative/artistic section of NYC. Lots of interesting \softline
stores, clubs, restaurants and bars, and artistic attractions. \par
}{\plain \fs24 OK to walk through, too, with some interesting buildings and old non-cement sidewalks}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i Little Italy\par
}{\plain \fs24 shrunken greatly in size in the last 20 years and is now more or less 1 or 2 blocks of a few tourist \softline
type restaurants with no Italians who actually live in that neighborhood. Not worth it at all. \par
}{\plain \fs24 mostly consists of a few blocks of Mulberry St. with mostly Chinese population, isn't that \softline
interesting because it's a theme park, not a real Italian neighborhood.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Lower East Side\par
}{\plain \fs24 Formerly the Jewish section of Manhattan. Has great shopping, clubs, and cultural attractions.\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Tenement Museum (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.tenement.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.tenement.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($ for tours)\par
}{\plain \fs24 Monday: 11am - 5:30pm (note: no public tours available on Mondays) Tue-Fri: 11am - \softline
6pm Sat & Sun: 10:45am - 6pm}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Chinatown\par
}{\plain \fs24 the Asian area of NYC that branches off the side streets of Canal street. Lots of shopping \softline
(cheap), and Chinese food. \par
}{\plain \fs24 If it's warm enough, get some inexpensive food at Fried Dumpling or the Thai store on Mosco St. \softline
between Mott and Mulberry or somewhere else around the neighborhood and hang out in \softline
Columbus Park watching the life of the community. Walk up East Broadway from Chatham \softline
Square, past the savvy shoppers picking out economical produce and such-like in small stores \softline
and on the street itself, and go to the Hong Kong Supermarket on Allen St. between Madison St. \softline
and East Broadway, look through all the Chinese, East and Southeast Asian items on sale there \softline
and buy something if it strikes your fancy. Ditto for the huge block-long complex between Mott \softline
and Elizabeth between Hester and Grand. }{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Lower Manhattan (Downtown, Financial District)\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Wall Street (New York Stock Exchange)}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}{\plain \fs24 Ground Zero}{\plain \fs24 \b\i \par
}\fs24{\plain \fs24 Staten Island Ferry (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.siferry.com/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.siferry.com/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 Free\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Take the Staten Island Ferry on a day with good visibility.\par
}{\plain \fs24 I would suggest doing the Staten Island ferry around sunset. The view of \softline
Manhattan in the setting sun is splendid as is the return trip when the lights are all \softline
lit. However, at this time of the year, sunset may coincide with rush hour. In that \softline
case, either go earlier or later. \par
}{\plain \fs24 It's free, easy to get to by mass transit and one gets great views of the Statue of \softline
Liberty and lower Manhattan. \par
}{\plain \fs24 If possible take a ferry ride around dusk - the transformation of lower Manhattan \softline
as the office lights come on is magical.\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Battery Park\par
}{\plain \fs24 Pier 17 \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Skip Pier 17 unless you want to take a few pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge. \softline
Otherwise it is just a shopping mall full of chain stores and knick-knack shops. \softline
Except for the viewing deck on the river it is one of the great disappointments of \softline
New York. \par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Federal Reserve Bank of New York (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.ny.frb.org/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.ny.frb.org/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 (Free)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Monday through Friday (except Bank holidays) at 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am, \softline
1:30 pm, and 2:30 pm. The tour lasts approximately 60 minutes.\par
}{\plain \fs24 Visitors to the Federal Reserve Bank in Lower Manhattan learn about the central \softline
banking functions that the Federal Reserve System performs and see the Bank's \softline
vault of international monetary gold on the bedrock of Manhattan Island, five \softline
stories below street level.\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Manhattan's Civic Center\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 City Hall (not open for tours), has classical columns and cast-iron cupola \softline
crowned with Lady Justice, and a park on its south side. Majestic court buildings \softline
line the streets.\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Circle line cruise (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($10 to Statue of Liberty)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Circle Line takes almost 4 hours, and gets boring after a while\par
}{\plain \fs24 I have heard that the Circle Line Cruise of New York is very nice\par
}{\plain \fs24 Leave from Battery Park in Manhattan to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis \softline
Island\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Ellis Island (http://www.ellisisland.org/)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Between 1892 and 1954, approximately 12 million people entering the United \softline
States through the port of New York were legally and medically inspected at Ellis \softline
Island\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Statue of Liberty (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.nps.gov/stli/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.nps.gov/stli/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 (Free ... only cost is ferry or tours)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 8:30am - 5:15pm\par
}{\plain \fs24 Dedicated in 1886, the Statue of Liberty has long been an international symbol of \softline
political freedom and democracy.\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 NY Waterway harbor tour (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.nywaterway.com/sightsee_harbor.html#90min)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.nywaterway.com/sightsee_harbor.html#90min)}}}}{\plain \fs24 \softline
($21)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Monday - Friday 10:00am, 11:00 am, 12:00 noon, 1:00pm, 2:00pm & 3:00 pm\par
}{\plain \fs24 Saturday - Sunday 10:00am, 11:00 am, 12:00 noon, 1:00pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00pm, & \softline
4:00pm\par
}{\plain \fs24 a fast catamaran, for 90 minutes\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b\i Brooklyn\ul0 \tab }{\plain \fs24 \par
}\pard \fs24\fi720
{\plain \fs24 Brooklyn Heights Promenade \par
}\pard \fs24\fi720
{\plain \fs24 Downtown Brooklyn\par
}\pard \fs24\fi720
{\plain \fs24 Brooklyn Bridge (http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/htm....html#brooklyn)\par
}\pard \fs24\fi720
{\plain \fs24 \tab by feet (DEFINITELY the Brooklyn Bridge by foot)\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Coney Island! \par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Astroland (NYC's largest amusement park)\par
}{\plain \fs24 eat (standing up) at the original Nathan's Famous\par
}\fs24\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \tab NY Aquarium (}{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "(http://www.nyaquarium.com/)" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 http://www.nyaquarium.com/)}}}}{\plain \fs24 ($11)\par
}\pard \fs24\li1440
{\plain \fs24 Monday - Friday \ul0 \tab 10:00 a.m. \ul0 \tab 6:00 p.m.\par
}{\plain \fs24 Saturday & Sunday \ul0 \tab 10:00 a.m. \ul0 \tab 7:00 p.m.\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 \b Public Transportation {\u8220\'93}Tours{\u8221\'94}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 The D & Q trains take the Manhattan Bridge with some spectacular views. The time is about the\par
}{\plain \fs24 same on each train but the Q, being an express, does make less stops.\par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 The M4 bus from anywhere on Madison Ave all the way to The Cloisters (Fort Tryon Park \softline
should be lovely in May). The bus travels through much of Harlem and upper New York City \softline
and is a sight filled ride. \par
}\pard \fs24\fi720
{\plain \fs24 Nice bus ride, and a beautiful view of the New Jersey Palisades from that park.\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 The M9 is an interesting bus ride. You can get it at Union Square (14th Street and 4th Avenue)\par
}{\plain \fs24 and it wends its way through the Lower East Side, which is worth seeing and perhaps getting off \softline
a time or two, and then goes down to the Financial District and ends up at Battery Park City, \softline
which is almost adjacent to Ground Zero. The bus stops at a little shopping area in Battery Park \softline
City and you can walk West through some gates to an esplanade along the Hudson River, small \softline
park. If you walk South you will pass into Battery Park itself. In its way down it passes through \softline
East Broadway which is an extended area of Chinatown\par
}\pard \fs24\li720
{\plain \fs24 Not a bad thought, Rita. Definitely an interesting bus ride for people who don't know \softline
those neighborhoods\par
}\pard \fs24
{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 A ride on the 7 train into Queens. If you get off at 74 St., you can walk through an Indian \softline
neighborhood and then a diverse Latin-American one. At Flushing-Main Street (the last stop) is \softline
the biggest Chinatown in New York, with some Koreans too, and further south and east in \softline
Flushing is another Indian neighborhood. And you get great views of the Manhattan skyline from \softline
that elevated line, if the weather is nice. \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs40 \b\fs40 Food}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 Have a look at a lot of New York pizza discussion with pictures he\par
}{\plain \fs24 http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...zza+survey\par
}{\plain \fs24 Note the clickable table of contents at the beginning.\par
}{\plain \fs24 You may also be interested in this weblog of pizza fanatics: http://www.sliceny.com/ \par
}\fs24{\plain \fs24 }{\field{\*\fldinst { HYPERLINK "http://www.egullet.com" }}{\fldrslt{{\ul\cf2 www.egullet.com}}}}{\plain \fs24 \par
}{\plain \fs24 don't count on good food and great service at reasonable prices in high traffic areas like Time\par
}{\plain \fs24 Square. You find excellent quality at prices that are reasonable by NY standards in the Village, \softline
Chinatown, Chelsea, Union Square, etc., especially if you look in the side streets. Also on 9th \softline
Av. in the 40s and 50s. \par
}{\plain \fs24 \par
}}
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evelyn C. Leeper

Rita wrote:

I do this all the time. When the waiter brings the check I see what a tip
should be -- New Yorkers just double the 8-1/2 percent tax to get the
recommended 15% of the bill (excluding alcohol), ...

I guess New Yorkers are not very good at math. :-)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

Old April 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Icono Clast

Rita wrote:
"Jimi_thing" wrote:
Suggestions to have a good breakfast around there early in the morning?

There are many places to have a good breakfast in the neighborhood. I
like the Cuban place on 46th Street across the street from the church
you can walk through from 47th Street. The people are very nice, the
food's fine, and the cost is minuscule.

I consider it slightly discourteous to use public transportation when
residents are trying to get to/from their jobs. I hated Summers when
I couldn't get on a cable car to get to/from work because they were
overflowing with tourists and that was in the days when if you could
get a finger and a toe attached, you were on you way.

I tip at the end of the week for the hotel maid.

I don't. Doing that, someone who's just starting the week might get
the tip. I leave $3 on the pillow when I leave the room every day if
I'm alone, or $4 when there are two of us. Thus the person who
actually serves me/us gets the tip.

I'd skip Coney Island

I wouldn't. But, then, I'm a 'coaster freak.

look at Grand Central Station

The tours of it are worth-while.

and Bryant Park behind the library

Coffee there after a tour of the library is very nice.

Have a great time!

Hard not to in Manhattan! I love visiting there.
A roller-coaster freak in San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM

In Massachusetts you just divide the combination of the base and tax by
7. A 5% tax brings the total to 105% = 7*15%. In New Jersey we have
a 6% tax, but dividing by 7 is still close.

Old April 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM