7 days in NYC in early May.

Old April 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Icono Clast wrote:
Pan wrote:

What's there to see at Ground Zero? I can see why a tourist would
visit there, but I'm trying to understand why a New Yorker would
recommend a trip there. You're seeing the empty area where some tall
buildings were. Why look for the absence of something when there's so
much that's present and can be seen?

There's quite a bit to see there, Michael. The protective fence has a
great many panels with historical information of particular interest to
locals but also of interest to us foreigners. At least, that was the
case when last I was there.

Also the Chapel across the street (St. Paul's?) has a great many
interpretive displays that are quite moving (not to mention George
Washington's pew).

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Jimi_thing

Pan wrote in
:

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:32:11 GMT, "Jimi_thing"
wrote:

I booked at Intercontinental Hotel the Barclay, it's at 111 east 48th
street. VERY expensive: still I think I've been a fool to choose this
one,

It'll probably be really pleasant. Please let us know.

For the money I am giving them, IT MUST BE :-) I will post a complete
report on my trip, and be prepared because it will be long and detailed!

Foot is great, but as long as you don't mind squeezing in, don't be
afraid of taking the subway or bus during rush hours. It's part of
your New York experience, just like taking the bus at rush hour in
Rome was part of my Rome experience.

Ok. Actually I forgot that my first day in NYC will be Sunday ( arriving
saturday night) and I guess Subways aren't that crowded on the weekends.
So I have the whole day to get used to the trains, and I know I will need
the whole day, since I am the smart kind :-)

I'm not sure if any bleacher seats are held for sale at game time, but
you really don't want a bleacher seat for your first baseball game.

No bleacher seat!

If
I were you, I'd suck it up, buy tickets in advance for the upper deck
behind the plate or near 1st base or 3rd base,

Ok, I see everyone I ask prompting me to get tickets in advance, that
will be the right choice.
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Brian Wickham

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:36:01 GMT, "Jimi_thing"
wrote:

Ok. Actually I forgot that my first day in NYC will be Sunday ( arriving
saturday night) and I guess Subways aren't that crowded on the weekends.
So I have the whole day to get used to the trains, and I know I will need
the whole day, since I am the smart kind :-)

The subway will be more crowded than you expected on a Sunday! But not
overwhelming. Oddly enough, Sunday is a great day to take bus rides,
so if you find that a bus may fit your plan then take it. The M15 bus
down Second Avenue is a great ride through the Lower East side and
Chinatown all the way to South Ferry. The M4 up Madison Avenue and
through Harlem to The Cloisters is another relaxing and eye-catching
ride but I suppose you don't need to see Romanesque art in NY!

From your other post I see that you have a good handle on tipping.
Always leave a cash tip on the table where you ate. Of course, you
can write in a tip on the charge card if you so wish.

Brian

Old April 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Pan

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:11:47 GMT, "Jimi_thing"
wrote:

I was thinking:

[snip]

15% to taxi
driver

Yes.

(we'll use the cab probably only for the trips from and to JFK),

Remember that you'll be charged a flat rate of $45 (if I'm not behind
the times) _plus tolls_, and then will pay a tip also.

double the tax at restaurants

I pay double the tax and round up to the next dollar at least, unless
the service is really bad.

(If paying cash, I leave the money -tipping
included- on the table... or should I give it directly in the hands of
the waiter?),

I usually leave the tip on the table, unless it's particularly
convenient to give it to the waiter personally.

1 dollar per drink at the bar.

Yes.

But anyway always bills, never coins (which are for beggars, or so my
Lonely Planet guide says...).

Tips should be at least a dollar, regardless of what percentage of the
bill that is, but no waiter will object to a tip of $1.75 because
there are coins included.

I intend to make a good impression on working people out there, some of
them might have had bad experiences with tourists

[snip]

I salute you for that!

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Keith W

wrote:

I was thinking:

[snip]

15% to taxi
driver

Yes.

(we'll use the cab probably only for the trips from and to JFK),

Remember that you'll be charged a flat rate of $45 (if I'm not behind
the times) _plus tolls_, and then will pay a tip also.

The fixed toll only applies to trips FROM the airport
not to it as I recall

Keith

Old April 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Pan

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:01:50 +0100, "Keith W"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I was thinking:

[snip]

15% to taxi
driver

Yes.

(we'll use the cab probably only for the trips from and to JFK),

Remember that you'll be charged a flat rate of $45 (if I'm not behind
the times) _plus tolls_, and then will pay a tip also.

The fixed toll only applies to trips FROM the airport
not to it as I recall

You're absolutely right. Trips to the airport are what's on the meter
plus tolls plus tip. I'm glad you cleared that up.