Restaurant portions

Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Everyboysmomma

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:54:13 GMT, "Everyboysmomma"
wrote:

I am not thinking there is anything sinister in this thread myself. Maybe
am a trusting Yankee.... But I did notice that after the first night we
came out of the Hard Rock in Washington DC, there were homeless (I am
assuming here) people asking for doggie bags. Because I was staying in a
hotel, I hadn't taken one. It got me thinking. Part of me thinks it
gross... not for me, but for the person who would essentially being eating
off my plate.

I guess you've never been really, really hungry.

Bad assumption on your part, but I appreciate you taking the time to answer
Momma

Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Everyboysmomma

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
news:1117797801.c40a38f1f9c09e5f77692ed8ac3f385d@t eranews...
Everyboysmomma wrote:
But I did notice . . . there were . . . people asking for doggie
bags . . . Should I have gotten doggie bags and handed them out?

Yes! And if they weren't around to receive the bag personally,
placing it atop a garbage can is a very good thing to do. I have
actually chastised people for putting uneaten food in, rather than
atop, garbage cans explaining that someone would love to have it.

A few months ago, a man was jingling a cup outside of a restaurant
with large windows. Although I finished my meal, I didn't eat all of
the tostaditas. With gestures, the man said "Yes!" to my offer to
take them to him. He saw me dump them into a fresh paper napkin that
I handed to him as I passed.

Thank you. Consider it done. This will be a great relief to me. I was
raised in a household where there was not enough food to go around, let
alone waste. It is only in recent years that I have forced myself not to
"clean my plate" as I have watched my weight balloon over the years from
eating more than my body needs. But guilt is a deep rooted thing, and I
have been torn with leaving something on my plate, or leaving something on
my hips. This will make me sleep better on all accounts.
Momma

Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
Donna Evleth

From: "Everyboysmomma"
Newsgroups: rec.travel.usa-canada
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:32:06 GMT
Subject: Restaurant portions

Everyboysmomma wrote:
[...]

I, the original poster, will remember this in the future. I have been
privileged in my life, I have never gone hungry. Yet there are people who
do. Thank you for remembering them, and thank you for reminding me to do
likewise. And it solves my problem of more than I can eat myself.
Everybody wins.

Donna Evleth

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Alan S

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:32:33 -0700, Icono Clast
wrote:

Everyboysmomma wrote:
But I did notice . . . there were . . . people asking for doggie
bags . . . Should I have gotten doggie bags and handed them out?

Yes! And if they weren't around to receive the bag personally,
placing it atop a garbage can is a very good thing to do. I have
actually chastised people for putting uneaten food in, rather than
atop, garbage cans explaining that someone would love to have it.

A few months ago, a man was jingling a cup outside of a restaurant
with large windows. Although I finished my meal, I didn't eat all of
the tostaditas. With gestures, the man said "Yes!" to my offer to
take them to him. He saw me dump them into a fresh paper napkin that
I handed to him as I passed.
_________________________________________________ __________________

Not a criticism, but a comment on what different societies
we live in. I have never seen that, nor practised it.

I drove cabs night shift in Melbourne, and knew many of the
"night people". They rummaged through bins for useful or
saleable items, but rarely in twenty years did I see one eat
from food found in a bin.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, just that it's not
something common enough, or public enough, to reach the
level you describe. It's a little more prevalent around
King's Cross in Sydney - but still orders of magnitude from
what you describe.

As to why - I don't know. Possibly different welfare and
support systems, but I'd only be guessing.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 4th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Icono Clast

Alan S wrote:
wrote:
Everyboysmomma wrote:

But I did notice . . . there were . . . people asking for doggie
bags . . . Should I have gotten doggie bags and handed them out?

Yes!

Not a criticism, but a comment on what different societies
we live in.

It's not fun to be poor anywhere but being homeless in the USA is
pretty bad.

In San Francisco, don't believe anyone who says they need money for
food. We have a great many places that provide decent meals, without
cost, a couple of times a day to those who need them. There is no
need to be penniless AND hungry here.
A San Francisco glutton who says: "You serve it, I'll eat it!"
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net