Marco Polo

Old November 4th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Default Marco Polo

I hope to cruise on this ship August 06, for a 30+ day voyage from
Copenhagen to Athens. It's quite a long time, and the cabin availabilty
to limited to the higher price range, so I need to be cautious. I note
the ship is 40 years old, an ex-Russian cruise ship ( these, if I
remember rightly, had a somewhat downmarket reputationn and that she
has had a refit some 12 years ago. Now, as I'm not enamoured of the
monstrous and quite ugly newer liners, the ship's age and size are not
a worry. But I'd appreciate some assurance that she is comfortable,
has the facilities which ensure an enjoyable, longer cruise, agreeable
staff, reasonable charges etc. I've googled the ship and comments are
mostly favourable - but I'd really like some recent input [and caveats,
if any]. Thanks in advance.
David

Old November 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Mark O. Polo

David:

The Marco Polo is very comfortable and has the amenities necessary to a
pleasant long voyage. You will enjoy the ship and its itinirary.

Aloha

Old November 4th, 2005, 02:24 PM
pfriedmanNoSpam

wrote in message
ups.com...
I hope to cruise on this ship August 06, for a 30+ day voyage from
Copenhagen to Athens. It's quite a long time, and the cabin availabilty
to limited to the higher price range, so I need to be cautious. I note
the ship is 40 years old, an ex-Russian cruise ship ( these, if I
remember rightly, had a somewhat downmarket reputationn and that she
has had a refit some 12 years ago. Now, as I'm not enamoured of the
monstrous and quite ugly newer liners, the ship's age and size are not
a worry. But I'd appreciate some assurance that she is comfortable,
has the facilities which ensure an enjoyable, longer cruise, agreeable
staff, reasonable charges etc. I've googled the ship and comments are
mostly favourable - but I'd really like some recent input [and caveats,
if any]. Thanks in advance.
David

We used to love the Marco Polo prior to the change of ownership to Norwegian
Lines.

The ship is quite stable and sound. Negatives include:
Poor sound-proofing. You WILL hear your neighbors
TV/Radio/discussions/etc.
Smallish cabins and bathrooms

It is run like any Norwegian Lines ship. I think that's a negative, but it's
a matter of taste.

Paul

Old November 5th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Paul -- you sound a trifle jaded re Norwegian??????

Old November 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM
pfriedmanNoSpam

wrote in message
oups.com...
Paul -- you sound a trifle jaded re Norwegian??????

Not sure jaded is the right word, but fairly close

The old Marco Polo was rather special -- not the physical plant which is
dated but the passengers (it was always an interesting international mix).
Excellent crew. Mediocre food (although I always asked for stuff from the
Philippino crew's mess -- it was MUCH more interesting than the normal fare)
rather bad entertainment.. but the atmosphere more than made up for
everything else. Now it is just another mid-priced liner.

Paul

Old November 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We were on the Marco Polo in Jan '05 on a voyager to Antarctica and it
is a lovely old ship with lots of outdoor deck space for lounging about.
Not that you do much (or any) of that on a cruise to the deep south.

I found to food to be good to very good, especially the grill items at
lunch with a nice wine list too. And the crew was outstanding. The cabin
steward was always around, everything was very clean. But it is an old
ship, not a mega ship which is our preference.

I would cruise with them again and will someday. Lisa