Gatwick airport advice on transpo to Victoria

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
George Fahrenkopf

Default Gatwick airport advice on transpo to Victoria

I will have two large duffels and a hand duffel when I get off BA flight
from USA. Is the train set up to store all my duffels on the ride to
Vic? Will a taxi provide a ride to close-by Blades Hotel?

After a day in London between flights, I will have to get the duffels to
Heatrhrow for my BA flight to Islamabad. A few years ago BA had a
check-in service at Vic Sta. Is that service still available, or did
9-11 eliminate it? Any thoughts or advice will be grateful.

George

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
David Horne

George Fahrenkopf wrote:

I will have two large duffels and a hand duffel when I get off BA flight
from USA. Is the train set up to store all my duffels on the ride to
Vic?

If you take the Gatwick Express (every 15 minutes during the day) you'll
have plenty of space for your luggage. You'll have a lot less space on
the local trains, so I'd avoid them during the morning rush hour to
London.

Will a taxi provide a ride to close-by Blades Hotel?

How close is close? I don't know if there is a minimum distance cut-off
or not. If it's very close, they would probably grumble- but someone
else would need to enlighten me as to whether or not they _have_ to take
the fare.

After a day in London between flights, I will have to get the duffels to
Heatrhrow for my BA flight to Islamabad. A few years ago BA had a
check-in service at Vic Sta. Is that service still available, or did
9-11 eliminate it?

It's certainly not available at Paddington for Heathrow flights- I'm
pretty sure the BA check-in at Victoria closed quite a while back.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM
David Horne

David Horne wrote:

George Fahrenkopf wrote:

After a day in London between flights, I will have to get the duffels to
Heatrhrow for my BA flight to Islamabad. A few years ago BA had a
check-in service at Vic Sta. Is that service still available, or did
9-11 eliminate it?

It's certainly not available at Paddington for Heathrow flights- I'm
pretty sure the BA check-in at Victoria closed quite a while back.

Even when it was open, I thought that Victoria handled _Gatwick_
check-in, and Paddington _Heathrow_ check in. So, I'd say you definitely
will have to check in your bags at Heathrow.

David

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:42 PM
George Fahrenkopf

Thanks David for your come-back. The hotel is an 8 - 10 minute walk; too long
for me to haul. Perhaps another viewer will advise. I figured the BA service
was not avail but wanted to make sure.

George in Florida USA

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:50 PM
David Horne

George Fahrenkopf wrote:

Thanks David for your come-back. The hotel is an 8 - 10 minute walk; too long
for me to haul.

The hotel is actually closer to Pimlico tube (a couple of minutes walk)
than it is to Victoria Station, but it will be quite a walk from the
Gatwick Express down to the tube! If London regulars here think a cab
will take you, I'd definitely go for it. I've never taken such a short
journey in London, even when I lived there, so I wouldn't know. I've
taken similar journeys in Glasgow, for example (between the two main
stations) and I've been _taken_, although on one occasion the cabbie
complained bitterly. Recently, on a similar journey in Liverpool, I
received quite a lot of abuse from the driver, and ended up making an
official complaint- which the cab company took quite seriously.

David

Old January 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Miss L. Toe

"George Fahrenkopf" wrote in message
I will have two large duffels and a hand duffel when I get off BA flight
from USA. Is the train set up to store all my duffels on the ride to
Vic?

As david said the more expensive Gatwick Express has better luggage
facilities

Will a taxi provide a ride to close-by Blades Hotel?

Yes, no problem, there is a minimum fare, and taxis aren't usually queueing
up at Victoria.

After a day in London between flights, I will have to get the duffels to
Heatrhrow for my BA flight to Islamabad. A few years ago BA had a
check-in service at Vic Sta. Is that service still available, or did
9-11 eliminate it? Any thoughts or advice will be grateful.

Victoria checkin has definately gone.

For the trip to Heathrow the coach from Victoria coach station may be easier
than navigating the tube with baggage. www.gobycoach.com

Old January 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Nige

"George Fahrenkopf" wrote in message
I will have two large duffels and a hand duffel when I get off BA flight
from USA. Is the train set up to store all my duffels on the ride to
Vic? Will a taxi provide a ride to close-by Blades Hotel?

After a day in London between flights, I will have to get the duffels to
Heatrhrow for my BA flight to Islamabad. A few years ago BA had a
check-in service at Vic Sta. Is that service still available, or did
9-11 eliminate it? Any thoughts or advice will be grateful.

George

London BLACK cabtaxi drivers are the 'salt of the e arth'. You can
get all the latest scandals from them as well as a potted
history of London thrown in. You will also get a good service and
a metered one. Unlike some other countries that appear to be under
regulated, the HACKNEYCABS of london are very strictly regulated. A
cabby cannot refuse a fare QUOTE: Drivers must, unless they have
reasonable excuse, accept any hiring up to 12 miles (20 miles if at Heathrow
Airport), or up to one hour duration, if the destination is in the
Metropolitan or City police Districts.UNQUOTE
The taxi queue at VICTORIA station can be long and sometimes non
existent but there are ususally taxis to be had. The cabby may
show signs of unhappiness at such a short journey but he relies
also on minimum fares and the meter ticks as soon as you start. If
necessary you can tellhim you will give him an extra 'quid' for taking
you. (A 'quid' is a pound) I have had many pleasant journies in
London cabs especiallylate at night.
Nige

Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:24 AM
Mark Brader

George Fahrenkopf writes:
After a day in London between flights, I will have to get the duffels to
Heatrhrow for my BA flight to Islamabad. ...

Let's point out, then, that there are several ways to Heathrow, not
counting the option of a taxi or similar service all the way.

(1) Underground. Starting from Victoria you have one change of train,
which is cross-platform; starting from Pimlico you would have a
more awkward change of train, with a long walk within the station.
Cheapest (under 4 pounds) but may be crowded. I normally use this,
but would not recommend it with so much luggage.

(2) Direct bus, starting from Victoria Coach Station. I don't have
price information about this.

(3) Taxi to Paddington, then Heathrow Express train. Probably about
20 pounds altogether, though I'm guessing as to the cab fare.
Fastest for the main part of the trip, but you have to get to
Paddington first.
--
Mark Brader | In the face of such devastating logic as "despite
Toronto | what you say you mean, you must mean this and you