Toronto Train/ Bus Station Query

Old January 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Default Toronto Train/ Bus Station Query

Gareth Slee:
I'm staying at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
which is on 255 Wellington Street West Toronto, Ontario M5V 3P9.

How far is it to the closest bus station where I can purchase Greyhound
tickets?

"Mike":
The main Greyhound terminal is at 610 Bay street, 1.5 miles from your
hotel. - easy to get to on the subway (Tube)

Also is there a Train station nearby?

Union station, 65 Front Street West, is only a half mile from your hotel
It is also a major subway terminal.

From your hotel you can easily walk (few hundred yards) up to King St.
where you can take public transit a TTC street car to the subway or to
any major city location.

The subway in that area follows a U-shaped route. I will show it as a
line of # signs against the grid of streets; stations are marked O and
labeled in block capitals.

University Av. Bay St. Yonge St.
# | #
# Bus | #
# Station | #
Dundas St. # | # DUNDAS
--------------------O---------------+-------O-----------
ST. PATRICK # | #
# | # Canon Theatre
# | #
# | #
# | #
Queen St. # | # QUEEN
--------------------O---------------+-------O-----------
OSGOODE # | #
# | #
ST. # | #
King St. ANDREW # | # KING
--------------------O---------------+-------O-----------
Wellington St. # | #
--------------------#---------------+-------#-----------
Front St. # UNION | #
--------------------################O########-----------
Union | |
Station | |
(trains)

Of course you must view this in a monospaced font. The diagram is
more or less to scale. From Front to Dundas St. is about 3/4 mile.
Your hotel is near the left edge of the diagram, maybe 1/2 mile west
of Yonge St. Only relevant streets are shown.

Most of the streets shown are dead straight in this area, and the few
curves that there are aren't important now. I have marked the train
station, bus station, and Canon Theatre.

As noted, there are streetcars along King. (There are also streetcars
along Queen and Dundas and buses along Bay, but you won't likely use
those. The Bay bus is less frequent than the subway.) I expect that
when going somewhere from the hotel you will either (1) walk north to
King and get a streetcar, then transfer to the subway; (2) walk to
St. Andrew station and get the subway, (3) walk all the way to your
destination, or (4) take a taxi.

I should note that in this area essentially all major office buildings
and major shops are connected by underground passages, which are mostly
lined with shops. From Metro Hall, on King St. roughly north of your
hotel, during shopping hours you could actually walk indoors all the
way to the bus terminal, to Union station (railway or subway), or to
any of the other four subway stations from St. Andrew around to Dundas.
However, I would not recommend doing this unless you found it desirable
to avoid some bad weather. While the system (called PATH) does have
signs and route maps posted, they are not very easy to follow, and in
places the experience is kind of like taking a long walk through an
airport terminal.

What you do want to know if you're taking an inter-city bus is that you
can walk indoors from Dundas subway station to a building called the
Atrium on Bay, and from that to the bus terminal.

Now some transit details.

Because of the U-shaped route, to travel between (for example) Dundas
and St. Patrick stations, you board a SOUTHBOUND train in each direction.
Incidentally, Dundas station has separate fare barriers for northbound
and southbound trains (it's the only one like that on the system), so
be sure to use the right entrance. At Union station the train directions
are signposted as YONGE NORTHBOUND and UNIVERSITY NORTHBOUND.

The TTC is a flat-fare system with transfers included. A single ride
is $2.75. Stores, and human fare collectors at subway stations, will
sell you tickets or tokens (they are equivalent except that tokens
operate the automatic turnstiles at subway stations) at 5 for $11.25
(= $2.25). Machines at subway stations will sell you 4 tokens for $9
if you pay with a $10 bill or 8 for $18 if you pay with a $20 bill.

If you start your ride at a subway station and will transfer to a
streetcar (or bus), then after entering the barrier, take a transfer
(i.e. transfer ticket) from the dispenser just inside (it's red).
When you board the streetcar you just show it to the driver. Note:
transfers are only good for changing vehicles within the same journey,
not for stopovers or return travel.

If you start your trip on a streetcar, you must have a ticket or token
already, or else you must pay the single-ride fare and change is *not*
given. Once you pay, you can then ask the driver for a transfer. At
the subway station, just show this to the fare collector.

Have a good trip.
--
Mark Brader "You can do this in a number of ways.
Toronto IBM chose to do all of them...

Old January 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Dave Smith and Gareth Slee write:
The train station is quite close to your hotel, but unless your
destination is on the main corridors you are probably better off
taking the bus. Canadian rail service is infrequent and usually
runs late. Bus service is much more frequent and tends to run on time.

Well I'm looking to travel to Niagara and then onto Cleveland OH.
I'm hoping the buses won't be fully booked for my dates (10th Feb and
12th Feb) .

There are only 2 or 3 trains each day from Toronto to Niagara Falls.

One on the morning (an Amtrak train that goes on to New York City,
but operated by VIA Rail Canada crews in Canada), one in the evening
(a VIA train that terminates at Niagara Falls, Ontario).

Buses run almost hourly.

It wouldn't occur to me to buy a ticket in advance for a bus to
Niagara Falls. I would not expect the trains to be full either at
this time of year, although I could be wrong about the morning train.
I would not expect these trains to run significantly late on this
particular journey[1], so unless the fare is a factor, the choice
is mostly a matter of whether you prefer more comfort or more
flexibility as to time.

[1] The onward service to New York -- and the same the other way,
forming the evening train from Niagara Falls to Toronto -- is
subject to significant delays at the border and over the course
of its trip. This also means that if you wanted to go from
Toronto to Niagara Falls, New York, you would be better not to
do it by staying on the train.

The Niagara Falls train and bus stations are across the street from
each other, in the old downtown business area, which is pretty seedy.
It is about 2 miles down river from the falls.

More like 1.5 miles. By the way, downriver is north -- if you cross
the river from Canada into the US, you're going east. The bridge near
the train and bus stations is no longer available to the general
public, but if you want you can walk across via the Rainbow Bridge,
near the falls.
--
Mark Brader | The only trouble was, no despot had the resources to plan
| every detail in his society's behavior. Not even planet-
Toronto | wrecker bombs had as dire a reputation for eliminating

Old January 13th, 2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_3_]

Mark Brader wrote:

It wouldn't occur to me to buy a ticket in advance for a bus to
Niagara Falls.

Nor would I. My son had no problem getting on a bus from Toronto to
St.Catharines on Christmas Eve.

I would not expect the trains to be full either at
this time of year, although I could be wrong about the morning train.
I would not expect these trains to run significantly late on this
particular journey[1], so unless the fare is a factor, the choice
is mostly a matter of whether you prefer more comfort or more
flexibility as to time.

Any time I pick up my son at the St.Catharines station the train from
Toronto is usually at least a half hour late. The train is almost always
late arriving in St.Catharines on the Niagara to Toronto run. I have to
pick him up and drop him off at the St.Catharines station and have been
doing so for the past 7 years. Only once has the train been on time.

[1] The onward service to New York -- and the same the other way,
forming the evening train from Niagara Falls to Toronto -- is
subject to significant delays at the border and over the course
of its trip. This also means that if you wanted to go from
Toronto to Niagara Falls, New York, you would be better not to
do it by staying on the train.

Almost agreed. Since the OP is staying at a hotel right by the Rainbow
bridge he could walk across to the US and grab a taxi to the train
station.... but he will be getting onto the same train. It may be cheaper
to get it on the US side.

The Niagara Falls train and bus stations are across the street from
each other, in the old downtown business area, which is pretty seedy.
It is about 2 miles down river from the falls.

More like 1.5 miles. By the way, downriver is north -- if you cross
the river from Canada into the US, you're going east. The bridge near
the train and bus stations is no longer available to the general
public, but if you want you can walk across via the Rainbow Bridge,
near the falls.

But he won't be crossing that bridge. He will be turning right and walking
upriver.
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
[1] The onward service to New York -- and the same the other way,
forming the evening train from Niagara Falls to Toronto -- is
subject to significant delays at the border and over the course
of its trip. This also means that if you wanted to go from
Toronto to Niagara Falls, New York, you would be better not to
do it by staying on the train.

Dave Smith:
Almost agreed. Since the OP is staying at a hotel right by the Rainbow
bridge he could walk across to the US and grab a taxi to the train
station.... but he will be getting onto the same train. It may be cheaper
to get it on the US side.

I think you misread either my remarks or Gareth's postings. He isn't
going in the direction of New York City and I wasn't giving advice on
doing so.

The bridge near
the train and bus stations is no longer available to the general
public, but if you want you can walk across via the Rainbow Bridge,
near the falls.

But he won't be crossing that bridge. He will be turning right and walking
upriver.

Not upon arrival, but he might want to see the falls from the US side.
For all I know it might also be convenient for him to board his onward
bus from the US side.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "1. Buy 64 more buses."
--Michael Wares