San Francisco to Portland - Late April

Old January 1st, 2005, 07:02 PM
peoriaps

Default San Francisco to Portland - Late April

After a conference in SF, my wife and I are taking 8 days from April 21
- 29 to Sight See Northern Calif and Oregon. We're flying home from
Portland. I've searched the forums but still looking for some specific
recommendations

We've already experienced the area just North of SF (NapaValley, Santa
Rosa area, Point Reyes etc.) so looking for suggestions further north.

We are on no schedule and can zig or zag as necessary to see most
"Don't Miss" attractions. End of April seems a little "iffy" regarding
mountainous travel, so some of those sites may not be suitable from
what I can see (Am I right about that?)

I probably want to spend a couple of days around Portland to see the
Columbia River Gorge etc. Do I need advance lodging reservations, or
can we easily find places to stay along the way as we go.

All replies greatly appreciated

--
peoriaps
peoriaps's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=423

Old January 1st, 2005, 10:07 PM
Todd Michel McComb

Last April, we drove along the coast from the SF Bay Area, all the
way around Olympic Peninsula in Washington. Weather in April can
be suspect, even in low areas due to rain, and most mountains will
be completely impassable, so you want the coast. One "interior"
stop we made was at Oregon Caves NP, and April is a nice time to
do that.

If you haven't seen the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts, those are
spectacular, and it'd be worth taking Highway 1 until it merges
with US-101. If not, I guess you can just go up 101. After they
merge, there is Redwood National Park, which will be wet in April,
but still very scenic. The Oregon coast has many state parks, and
a combination of towns and scenery. It's a good place for leisurely
stopping. You can drive up to Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia.
It has some interesting history, and of course the Columbia is
impressive. Then drive inland to Portland.

We had no problem just showing up and staying places on weekdays.
For weekends, you should try to be more aware of where you're going
to be. If it's a big city, no problem, but if it's more of a
vacation getaway spot, you'll want weekend reservations to play it
safe.

Old January 1st, 2005, 11:57 PM
Susan Wachob

Hi-

We live in San Francisco and have taken the drive you plan numerous
times. There's lots to see and do. Don't know your interests and life
style. What I like about the drive and the various places to stay and
things to do is the rusticness and history, though there are also more
up-scale places too. If you're into the more up-scale places, these
might not appeal to you. However, it you enjoy the kind of things I do,
you're in for a treat!

Let's see- the Oregon Caves tour is fascinating and the rustic, historic
lodge there is wonderful. It's a must see.

While driving up 101/1 (they're the same up there after a certain
point), you'll drive up the Avenue of the Giants through the huge
redwoods. Nothing special to do except get out of the car for a walk
through them and take lots of pictures. They're magnificent.

Don't take highway 5 instead. It's just an ugly freeway through the
middle of the state going north and you miss all the wonderful scenery.

You'll drive past the Tule Elk Reserve up north in California near the
Avenue of The Giants. Plan to stop and spend 1/2 an hour watching them.
They're beautiful.

In Portland, we always stay at the Mallory Hotel, sort of a landmark in
Portland. It's an old hotel, ex-lavish and now just cozy.
HotelMallory.com It's on the edge of downtown- convenient location, a
parking structure, good dining room (I've only had breakfast there),
etc. Everyone I've suggested it to raves about it after they've stayed
there.

Powell's Books on Burnside St is one of the best in the world, and I
believe the biggest. It's a destination kind of place. They have an
unending variety of books- new/used- best sellers/esoteric things of
every variety imaginable. It's worth checking out, even if bookstores
usually aren't your thing. And of course, if it's raining, it's the
perfect place to get lost in- literally for the day!

Jake's Famous Crawfish is an elegant, famous, old, traditional seafood
restaurant. Old wooden booths, etc. It's moderately expensive, the one
place in Portland that's a must-eat restaurant- but well worth it. the
food is fresh and absolutely delicious. You can wear pants if you want-
and it's within a couple of blocks of Powell's Bookstore. Be sure you
make reservations, and plan on a half-hour wait in the lively and mobbed
bar- a great experience in it itself. jakesfamouscrawfish.com Both the
hotel and this restaurant and full of character.

The drive up the Columbia River Gorge is lovely. The drive is most
beautiful driving up the south side of the river. There are many small
waterfalls to stop at and they'll probably be flowing heavily during the
spring. Many people hike up the side of the falls- sometimes 1/4 mile-
some paths are a few miles and connect to the next waterfall down the road.

Have a really terrific trip. You're in for a treat for those 8 days!

Susan

Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Icono Clast

peoriaps wrote:
April 21
- 29 to Sight See Northern Calif and Oregon. We're flying home from
Portland.

The most beautiful trip I've ever taken in my life was a drive up The
Coast (hit it at Point Reyes) to Vancouver at just about that time of
year. A thousand miles of blooms and blossoms on one side of the road
and, obviously, the sea on the other.

Try it. You're bound to like it!
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Mimi

"Susan Wachob" wrote in message

Powell's Books on Burnside St ......

Jake's Famous Crawfish .......

The drive up the Columbia River Gorge is lovely.

Yes, while you're in Portland in April, you should visit the gardens. I was
blown away by the classical Chinese garden in/near downtown Portland. And
then there's the Rose Garden (maybe too early for roses), the Japanese
garden. And maybe spend just a little time driving nice neighborhoods. I
would assume Portland houses are as well landscaped as those in Seattle,
which is an absolute feast in the spring.

Marianne

Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM

I agree with the other posts so far. The Patrick Creek Lodge in
Gasquet, CA is a nice spot to stop for a night between Crescent City
and Oregon Caves. I posted a review on tripadvisor.com:
(http://tinyurl.com/5plhd) .

Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Susan Wachob

Yes!! Absolutely! Be sure you're very hungry!

Susan

Hatunen wrote:
Just for the hell of it, try eating at the Samoa Cookhouse in
Eureka.