glacier national park question -going to sun road

Old July 20th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Default glacier national park question -going to sun road

Is it better to drive the Going to the Sun road in Glacier national
park from east to west or west to east?

Old July 20th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Rog'

Is it better to drive the Going to the Sun road in Glacier
National Park from east to west or west to east?

I drove West to East and I think that it offers better views
of the ridge lines, but then, I didn't drive East to West, so
its just a guess. =R=

Old July 20th, 2005, 07:35 AM
RVerDon

"Rog'" wrote in message
Is it better to drive the Going to the Sun road in Glacier
National Park from east to west or west to east?

I drove West to East and I think that it offers better views
of the ridge lines, but then, I didn't drive East to West, so
its just a guess. =R=

Why not drive both ways. Then come back to the newsgroup and let us know
which is best.

Don

Old July 20th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Keith W

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it better to drive the Going to the Sun road in Glacier national
park from east to west or west to east?

I have driven it both ways and the view is stupendous either way.
The climb from the eastern side means most of the drop offs
are on the left side of the car and the western descent offers more
sweeping vistas but whichever way you make it you'll be stopping
frequently anyway so it makes little difference.

More important is WHEN you make the drive. In peak summer
you want to do the drive either early in the morning or late in
the evening as the pull outs fill up and you may not be able
to stop and admire the view as you'd like. Alternatively
take one of the tours in the old park buses that run from the
lodges.

Keith