Big hike in US passport fees, $450 to renounce citizenship!

Old July 10th, 2010, 01:05 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Default Big hike in US passport fees, $450 to renounce citizenship!

"David Horne" wrote in message

If it must be explained to you, you are comprehensibly challenged.
Apparently you do not have the pride in your country as I do in mine, or
you
would require no explanation.
One might say that your signature line is very subjective as well, since
it
is your opinion. To each his own.

It requires no skill to be born somewhere, so I don't understand the
pride in it either.

Pride can, but does not have to include a skill. It is a state or feeling of
being proud. You do not have to own or do anything to have the feeling of
pride...I am proud of my children, who have all chosen vocations or careers
that help others...science, medicine and law enforcement, but I don't own
them...they are grown and have chosen their own paths in life...but I am
proud of them.

Having been a medical professional (RN) myself for many years, I feel good
about having taken part in helping others to get well or feel better; but to
be boastful about it is egocentric and I feel too much pride in oneself
leads to narcissism. It becomes I did this and I did that, destroying the
value of what you accomplished. It is better when it is said by someone of
you, not by you, yourself.

There is also civic pride...love of state and country. You are proud of its
accomplishments and express it with loyalty and pride. A feeling or emotion.
Whether you are born there or adopted it as your home, makes no
difference...you still can have a sense of pride.

JMHO
--Jean

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:39 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

On Jul 8, 5:14*am, Magda wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:39:21 -0700 (PDT), in rec.travel.europe, The Jolly Rubber
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

*... Magda wrote:

*...
*...
*... On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:34:27 -0700 (PDT), in rec.travel.europe, GLOBALIST
*... arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:
*...
*... *...
*... *... I would venture to say that lots of Americans were simply afraid to
*... *... travel, when the asshole Bush was ****ing on every nation on the
*... *... globe. Folks were putting Canadian stickers on their luggage, so folks
*... *... would presume they were Canadians and maybe treated fairer.

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:40 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

On Jul 8, 5:21*am, BP killed my turtle
wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:18*pm, Magda wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:29:24 -0500, in rec.travel.europe, "Jean O'Boyle"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

*... I, or one, am proud to be an American and do not hide it.

Someone please explain to me what sort of "pride" can be found in *being born* some place
or other?

Not a great feat at all - not even a microscopic challenge, is it?

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

being born in a swamp was runges greatest achievement

LOL..........

--

Best
Greg
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:42 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

On Jul 8, 5:51*am, John Rennie wrote:
Magda wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:29:24 -0500, in rec.travel.europe, "Jean O'Boyle"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

*... I, or one, am proud to be an American and do not hide it.

Someone please explain to me what sort of "pride" can be found in *being born* some place
or other?

Not a great feat at all - not even a microscopic challenge, is it?

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

I'm not proud to Be British, neither am I ashamed.
Just a bit relieved.

Poor drains...???

--
Best
Greg
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:44 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

On Jul 8, 3:06*pm, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
"Magda" wrote in message

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:29:24 -0500, in rec.travel.europe, "Jean O'Boyle"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... I, for one, am proud to be an American and do not hide it.

Someone please explain to me what sort of "pride" can be found in *being
born* some place
or other?

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

If it must be explained to you, you are comprehensibly challenged.
Apparently you do not have the pride in your country as I do in mine, or you
would require no explanation.
One might say that your signature line is very subjective as well, since it
is your opinion. *To each his own.

Mags is not the "bombastic" type...

;-P

--
Best
Greg UXB

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:45 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

On Jul 8, 3:23*pm, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
"David Horne" wrote in message

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Born has nothing to do with it, my parents were born in Europe and
immigrated to the USA and were very proud of their new country when they
became naturalized Americans. That is the way I feel about my country...I am
proud of it with all its faults; I still would not live any where else if I
were given a choice.

Not even the Duchy Of Fenwick...???

--
Best
Greg

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:48 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

On Jul 8, 3:43*pm, Magda wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:23:20 -0500, in rec.travel.europe, "Jean O'Boyle"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

*...
*... Born has nothing to do with it, my parents were born in Europe and
*... immigrated to the USA and were very proud of their new country when they
*... became naturalized Americans.

They worked at it, their "pride" was justified. Yours is not.

*That is the way I feel about my country...I am
*... proud of it with all its faults; I still would not live any where else if I
*... were given a choice.

Thank heavens... The rest of us are safe!

If anyone gives me enough money and a title I'd come live with them
and be "proud"...are we on, dearest...???

== Thinking of Grace Kelly in Monaco

;-P

--
Best
Greg

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:50 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

On Jul 8, 3:55*pm, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
"Magda" wrote in message

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:23:20 -0500, in rec.travel.europe, "Jean O'Boyle"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... Born has nothing to do with it, my parents were born in Europe and
... immigrated to the USA and were very proud of their new country when
they
... became naturalized Americans.

They worked at it, their "pride" was justified. Yours is not.

That is the way I feel about my country...I am
... proud of it with all its faults; I still would not live any where else
if I
... were given a choice.

Thank heavens... The rest of us are safe!

As usual, you come off with sarcasm as an answer. *Why is that necessary? Is
your hate of Americans that intense? *You don't even know me.
Your definition of pride differs from mine...I am proud of my
country...simple as that...I do not have to justify it.

Have you ever seen Jean Seberg in _Breathless_...???

--
Best
Greg
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Bill Bonde[_2_]

Gregory Morrow wrote:
On Jul 8, 3:55 pm, "Jean wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Yes, although if I recall right, I kind of thought that the ending of
the remake was a bit better.