Travelling with hand-held GPS receivers

Old April 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Sam Jones

Default Travelling with hand-held GPS receivers

How do you pack your GPS receivers on the plane?

Do you take it in a carry-on bag or do you put it in your checked luggage?
I've been putting it in my checked luggage (so's not to freak out the TSA
screeners) but now I'm concerned about theft by the TSA searchers so I'm
wondering what's the best thing to do.

Old April 18th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Leo Hamulczyk

"Sam Jones" wrote in message ...
How do you pack your GPS receivers on the plane?

Do you take it in a carry-on bag or do you put it in your checked luggage?
I've been putting it in my checked luggage (so's not to freak out the TSA
screeners) but now I'm concerned about theft by the TSA searchers so I'm
wondering what's the best thing to do.

Carry it with you. I've found mine had been played with once with the
batteries almost drained when I had it in the pocket of my checked
baggage. Anyway, airlines don't like electronic gadgets in checked
baggage (with batteries in place.) The last place I used mine in the
above incident was southern Tasmania, with plenty of battery power
left, and I turned it on and the last location showing was not far
from Kota Kinabalu, where I was at the time, and the batteries were
almost dead.
Old April 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Charles Newman

"Leo Hamulczyk" wrote in message
om...
"Sam Jones" wrote in message

[...]

When I went on vacations to Disneyland as a kid, I would pack my
Walkman in checked baggage, with the batteries in, and nothing ever
happened, of course, this was back in the 1980s. My parents packed
my Walkman into checked baggage, and nothing ever happened.

Old April 19th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Dennis G. Rears

"Sam Jones" wrote in message
news
How do you pack your GPS receivers on the plane?

I put it in my pocket or carry on. I am a window seat person and use it
all the time. I use it in domestic USA, long haul USA-Europe,
USA-Australia, domestic AU, and intraEuropean flights. Only time I had a
problem was a EWR-SFO FC flight.
Do not bring a GPS into Russia. The vestgies of the Soviet State are
still there. They are prohibited there.

Do you take it in a carry-on bag or do you put it in your checked luggage?
I've been putting it in my checked luggage (so's not to freak out the TSA
screeners) but now I'm concerned about theft by the TSA searchers so I'm
wondering what's the best thing to do.

Do not put any valuable stuff in checked luggage.

dennis

Old April 19th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Bob Myers

"Sam Jones" wrote in message
news
How do you pack your GPS receivers on the plane?

Carry on, in its own bag (inside my carry-on bag), and it's never
been a problem. Many models don't give their power switches
adequate protection from being accidentally switched on, so you
may want to pull the batteries out before packing it away. Keep
them handy, though, in case you need to turn the thing on to
demo it to TSA, etc..

Bob M.

Old April 20th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Sam Jones" wrote in message
news
How do you pack your GPS receivers on the plane?

Do you take it in a carry-on bag or do you put it in your checked luggage?
I've been putting it in my checked luggage (so's not to freak out the TSA
screeners) but now I'm concerned about theft by the TSA searchers so I'm
wondering what's the best thing to do.

They deal with thousands of people with laptops and other electronic
gadgetry every day. Just be prepared to take it out of your bag and put it
through the x-ray machine seperately. Then it should be fine.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:19 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Sam Jones" wrote:

How do you pack your GPS receivers on the plane?

Do you take it in a carry-on bag or do you put it in your checked luggage?

If you want to reduce the chances of theft, carry your GPS receiver on
board with you. The TSA and the airline will not care, but make sure
you have a charged battery in the unit in case you are asked to turn it
on.