U.S. concerned for cruise passengers' safety !!!

Old July 16th, 2004, 06:05 PM
steinbrenner

Default U.S. concerned for cruise passengers' safety !!!

Here is news the ta's refuse to provide.......

http://www.thenassauguardian.net/nat...4901623389.php

U.S. concerned for cruise passengers' safety
Family Values group due here today

By KHASHAN POITIER,Guardian Staff Reporter

The controversy over the Norwegian Dawn cruise ship, with its 1,600 Gay
Family Values Cruise participants, has attracted the attention of the
United States Embassy which expressed concern for the safety of the
American passengers.

The ship is expected at Prince George Dock this morning.

The passengers are expected to be welcomed by crowds of anti-gay
protesters, led by the Save The Bahamas group, the Bahamas Christian
Council (BCC) and others. Rainbow Alliance, a gay, lesbian, bi-sexual
and trans-gender support group is also expected to be on hand.

A statement from the Ministry of Tourism Thursday said: "The Ministry
of Tourism has received an official expression of concern from the
United States over what it characterizes as the "widespread interest
and controversy generated among certain Bahamian groups" regarding the
gay cruise.

"It is believed that the vast majority of the passengers on the
Norwegian Dawn will be U.S. citizens.... The embassy takes a special
interest in the protection and welfare of U.S. citizens living and
visiting The Bahamas," the statement said.

The Embassy further pointed out that "the right of citizens to
peaceably assemble to express their opinions is one of the cherished,
fundamental rights of a democracy. A similar, corresponding right is
that of citizens and visitors to be safe and secure."

The Embassy, in the statement, seemed assured that the ministry would
ensure a "safe and enjoyable" visit to this country.

The Guardian's attempts to contact the public relations department of
the Embassy to confirm their contribution to the ministry's statement,
efforts proved fruitless.

Since the news of the gay cruise was announced, the ministry and the
BCC have exchanged opinions as to whether Bahamians should or should
not welcome the Gay Family Values Cruise participants.

In a newspaper article, Tourism Minister Obie Wilchcombe was quoted as
saying, "Bahamians must embrace all those that come to enjoy what we
have to offer," to which BCC president Reverend Dr William Thompson
responded: "We are not dealing with an opinion, (but) a deviant
lifestyle that is offensive to the majority of Bahamians. Visitors to
The Bahamas must conduct themselves in accordance with established
Bahamian standards."

The cruise, organised by Rosie O'Donnell, Kelli O'Donnell and Gregg
Kaminsky, intends to teach gay and lesbian passengers about adoption,
artificial insemination and other topics for same-sex and potential
same-sex parents.

In a statement to the American media, Ms O'Donnell said, "We welcome
all families — however you define them — to join us on this cruise."

Old July 16th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Howie

How sad that we live in a world where so many people are more concerned
about sexual preference and practice than they are about poverty, war,
and genocide.

Howie

Old July 16th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Dick Goldhaber

The government of The Bahamas has effectively precluded Danni and me from
visiting their country.

Neither of us is gay. Our sin is that Danni is hearing impaired, and the
government will not allow Heidi, Danni's service animal, to set paw on the
sacrosanct Bahamian grass.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old July 17th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Bigdick Goldhaber

The Bahamas will gladly let the dog in. Its you and danni they don't want.

Shut up Dick. just shut the **** up