BUNAC travel to Australia and New Zealand

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:12 AM

Default BUNAC travel to Australia and New Zealand

Anyone use BUNAC for travel to Australia or New Zealand? Any tips? What
have you heard about the program? I plan on leaving in a few months and
am applying with BUNAC very soon. Any little thing can help. Please
post here or you can email me too, . Thank you in
advance!

Old January 28th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Dan Santoro

Very good org.....based out of Connecticut I think....one of the young
guys on my rugby team is going to auckland to play/work for a
year......enjoy!

Old January 28th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Ian Hutchby

Anyone use BUNAC for travel to Australia or New Zealand? Any tips? What
have you heard about the program? I plan on leaving in a few months and
am applying with BUNAC very soon. Any little thing can help. Please
post here or you can email me too,
. Thank you in
advance!

When I graduated from University (back in the deep dark past (1994)) I
travelled around the world with BUNAC (which back then stood for British
University's North America Club, looking at their website it is the same
organisation, they have just spread their wings a bit since then!!!) I
spent a total of 18 months living out a backpack and would recommend the
experience to anyone who wants to listen! (or read) I went on their
Work Canada and Work Australia programmes (not that the former will be
of much interest to you)

They helped organise the working holiday visas (checking they had been
filled in correctly and then filing them with the appropriate
authority), which was extremely helpful on its own. They also organised
the flights and some accomodation upon arrival (and en route from LAX to
SYD, those of us going from the North American programmes to Australia
spent 5 nights in Hawaii, whereas those heading from the UK spent 2
nights in Bangkok)

Upon arrival at Sydney we were met by a local representative who took us
to the hostel they had booked us into for the first 2 nights. After
freshening up we were taken on a short tour across the city and on to a
ferry to Manly where we were provided with drinks and a bite to eat at
the Steyne Hotel. In the afternoon we headed back to the hostel and had
a formal introduction session, where we were told in detail about the
programme and given important contact details. They also helped us fill
in the forms for the tax department and asked a representative from a
bank to come along so we could open up an account. They also provided
information on the type of jobs/state of the job market/where the best
place to look for jobs was etc.

After this you can have as much/as little contact with them as you feel
comfortable with, they also organise informal get togethers while you
are there.

It is possible to organise the visas and flights independantly, but the
fact they help you with the paperwork and also provide an invaluable
introduction session once you arrive is reason enough to use them.

Now for the hard question.....Australia or New Zealand??? I spent an
enjoyable year on the Work Australia programme after which I spent 5
weeks touring NZ before heading back to the UK (via Fiji and the Cook
Islands). It is just I now live in NZ and thoroughly enjoying it on
this side of the ditch.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me, either
directly or via the group

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Ian

Old January 31st, 2005, 06:04 AM
A Mate

If you are a US Citizen, BUNAC is the ONLY way to get a Working Holiday Visa
for Australia and NZ.

Canadians, Brits, Koreans and a swag of other nationalities can access WHV's
to Australia; but they are reciprocal - and since the US won't grant them to
Australians.................

ups.com...