Photo opportunities on Melbourne and surrounding area?

Old February 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM
William South

Default Photo opportunities on Melbourne and surrounding area?

Hi, I'll be in Melbourne in February. I'm a keen photographer and will
be taking my camera equipment.

I have a few ideas of what I'd like to get a photograph of while I'm
there.

Can you suggest some photogenic places that might not be obvious to a
tourist?

Thanks

Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:42 AM
Petra

"William South" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi, I'll be in Melbourne in February. I'm a keen photographer and will
be taking my camera equipment.

I have a few ideas of what I'd like to get a photograph of while I'm
there.

Can you suggest some photogenic places that might not be obvious to a
tourist?

Thanks

If we knew what kind of stuff you liked to photograph, maybe we could be of
more help. You say you have 'a few ideas'. Why not tell us?

I took some nice photos of the Botanical Gardens, and some activities along
Lygon street, as well as Como House in South Yarra, and an afternoon in
Williamstown, but these things depend on one's particular tastes.

Melbourne has many 'photogenic places' in my opinion, but everyone has
their own idea of what's photogenic.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
Daniel Bowen

"William South" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'll be in Melbourne in February. I'm a keen photographer and will
be taking my camera equipment.

I have a few ideas of what I'd like to get a photograph of while I'm
there.

Can you suggest some photogenic places that might not be obvious to a
tourist?

Any particular type of subject you're after?

Daniel

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
AlmostBob

Treasury Gardens at sunset, to pic the possums as they come down from the
trees
--
Ever wonder why evian Water
is $3 for a half litre,

spell Evian backwards
_

Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:08 PM
William South

Thanks for those suggestions.

I'm mainly interested in unusual archetecture. Typical old Victorian
buildings as well as the new stuff.

I will be walking around the city taking photos of the usual touristy
things.

Fitzroy Gardens & the Royal Botanic Gardens sound nice. I would have
overlooked those and Chinatown too.

I'll have a car so getting further a field won't be a problem.

Do you get street performers in Melbourne? They usually make a good
photograph.

I'm hoping to get up to Ballerat too, but I'm not sure if it's going to
be worth the drive. I've seen a few pictures of old wild west style
buildings

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:13 AM
novus

"William South" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for those suggestions.

I'm mainly interested in unusual archetecture. Typical old Victorian
buildings as well as the new stuff.

A walk along Collins and Spring Streets in the city will provide you with
plenty of Victorian era buildings. The 'boom style' ones have many
interesting and unusual details you won't find elsewhere but you will need a
good zoom and a bit of homework on where to look.

I will be walking around the city taking photos of the usual touristy
things.

Fitzroy Gardens & the Royal Botanic Gardens sound nice. I would have
overlooked those and Chinatown too.

For contrast also try for instance Carlton Gardens (Victorian building in
surrounding gardens), Edinburgh Gardens (village green), Studley Park
(bushland) and Birrarung Marr (more comntemporary with river shots
available) You can find some info at:
http://www.whitehat.com.au/Melbourne/Parks/ParksM.asp

I'll have a car so getting further a field won't be a problem.

Do you get street performers in Melbourne? They usually make a good
photograph.

I find one of the best places for photos of street performers and general
people scenes are festivals and public events (Melbourne has tons of them)
so be sure to check out what events are on in Melbourne at the time you are
visiting.

I'm hoping to get up to Ballerat too, but I'm not sure if it's going to
be worth the drive. I've seen a few pictures of old wild west style
buildings

The Ballarat Sovereign Hill theme park is a recreation of a gold rush style
town of the period and is very good. For photo puposes I prefer the remains
of the originals - for instance if you are heading towards Ballarat you
could try Creswick or Clunes. It sometimes requires some creative framing to
eliminate the modern additions. Try to get some guidence before you leave -
I don't know how many times I've see buses parked in the main street of
places like these with tourits taking photos while the real gems are just
around the corner.

novus