Traveling to Ailano Italy

Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack

Default Traveling to Ailano Italy

Hello,
Won a villa rental at a charity auction in Ailano. Since I have never been
to Italy, I have no idea where to start on what to do, where to go, best
time of year to go, etc.
..
Have any of you been to Ailano (or somewhere close). What did you do? How
did you get around? Is it safe? etc etc.
..
I have a ton of questions, so please be gentle (and patient)
Thank you.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

.
Have any of you been to Ailano (or somewhere close). What did you do?
How did you get around? Is it safe? etc etc.
.
I have a ton of questions, so please be gentle (and patient)
Thank you.

apparently it is near Csaerta.. just Google Ailano and you will find a lot
of infos

Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack

Did the google. Asking for first-hand experience. Thanks.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
FredBear

"Jack" wrote in message ...

Have any of you been to Ailano (or somewhere close). What did you do?
How
did you get around? Is it safe? etc etc.

If you do 'Nature' you'll love it there. It is perched half way up the
'Monti dei Matese' range.Getting there you will definitely need your own
car unless you have transport laid on as part of the holiday.

Your best bet is to fly to Naples and hire a car then head North
up the A1 and come of at Caianello then head into the hills. I suppose it is
about 60 km or so to the North of Naples and about 30 odd km from
MonteCassino.

It's not absolutely necessary, but you might get on a bit better if you try
learning a bit of Italian before you go. It is unlikely that many people
speak English in the area.

I, personally, would be delighted if I had won it but it isn't everybody's
cup of tea.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"Jack" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hello,
Won a villa rental at a charity auction in Ailano. Since I have never
been to Italy, I have no idea where to start on what to do, where to go,
best time of year to go, etc.
.
Have any of you been to Ailano (or somewhere close). What did you do?
How did you get around? Is it safe? etc etc.
.
I have a ton of questions, so please be gentle (and patient)
Thank you.

just in case you need to get distances.
use

www.viamichelin.com

apparently it is not far from Caserta ( where there is a wonderful Royal
palace with beautiful gardens )
just a small village on a hill

I guess you should take a train to caserta and from there for sure there
will be local buses
there are 1466 people living there.. with 784 houses(apartments.
4 churches one Baronal palace

the Comune di Ailano has a Skype number
0823 943024 ( you will need the 0 if you call Italy from abroad and from
Italy )

so just try to get somebody that speaks englisht here
I guess in the Comune di Ailano there will be at least one person out of
1466 that might speak english

you can buy a single house there for about 150.000 eur..
the nearest Toll Road exit is Caianello.

Old April 10th, 2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 2:28 pm, "tile" wrote:
"Jack" ha scritto nel ...

[...]

Auguri,

I was there last October because two of my ancestors [Cantelmo,
Manera] originally
lived there before moving to my ancestral town of Vairano Patenora.

It is a beautiful small town. There is a small church with some
interesting primitive paintings.
If one can walk to the church it means that he is a champion.

One needs to go outside the town when the sun starts to set to see the
buildings glow pink.

Venafro and Teano are the cities in the area of Ailano.

The Abbey of Monte Cassino is nearby.

These are some of the towns along the road from Caianello to Venafro:

Marzanello
Vairano Patenora [has a castle to explore]
Presanzano
Pratella

You can find more on a map.

Google these towns to see what they offer.

I don't know how much time you have to spend but there should be
enough
opportunities to give you a good taste of life in the southern
Mezzogiorno.
One needs a car to get around. I wouldn't recommend the bus to
someone
who is a stranger to Italy.

The small towns are safe and the people are friendly.

If you don't want the prize, I'll be glad to use it. :-)

Michael