best small towns in the west...?

Old April 11th, 2004, 07:48 PM
CoastWatcher

Default best small towns in the west...?

We lived in the SF Bay area 30+ years and loved it. On retiring though
the cost of living there was too great so we looked for a like climate,
more affordable and a slower pace. Found that the area just north of
the mouth of the Columbia river in WA very affordable, 2 hours from the
fantastic city of Portland, and a climate much like the Bay area. Only
drawback, if you would call it that, is that there are no freeways, no
trains, no big airports, and no monstrous shopping centers.

Peter D. Tillman wrote:
In article ,
(paul) wrote:

does anyone have suggestions for small towns in the western U.S. that
are quaint, have some seasonal variation but mostly mediterranean
climate?

we're looking for a place to live. northern california might fit the
bill, but we're also looking for a ranch size piece of land (not
affordable really in california unless you're really far from
civilization).

we'd like something within an hour or so of a medium to big city.

we know we can't hit all the criteria, but would like:

- natural beauty
- quaint town
- tending toward liberal politics
- potential for regional economic growth

we're looking in arizona and new mexico now. any suggestions?

As someone else mentioned, Med climate = coastal Calif or Pacific
Mexico. You might consider the coast between Tijuana & Ensenada -- a lot
of Americans have retirement and/or vacation homes there, as it's far
more affordable than coastal Calif.

We went through this process recently, and settled on (near) Santa Fe,
but you'll need to get 45 min or an hour out for a 'ranch-size' property
at a non-millionaire price. Fits all your other criteria, except climate
(COLD winters).

You might consider wintering in S.AZ, as we do. Two nice houses in NM/AZ
can be considerably cheaper than one half-decent house in Calif.

Cheers -- Pete Tillman
Tucson & Santa Fe (USA)

Old April 12th, 2004, 04:20 AM
metchikabool

Peter: where do you live near Santa Fe? I live in Eldorado. btw, I
have found what I think is the best route between Santa Fe and Tucson,
via Socorro, Magdalena, Datil, Reserve, Mule Creek, Safford, AZ, etc.
It's about the same drive time as the interstates, and a lot prettier.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:08:54 -0600, "Peter D. Tillman"

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Rich

"Stefan Patric" wrote in message
On Saturday 10 April 2004 11:08 am, Peter D. Tillman wrote:

snip

A little caveat he Foreigners can't own land in Mexico -- only
native born Mexicans can. You can own the structures that are on the
land, but not the land itself. You lease the land. Talked to a guy
(US citizen), who built a nice vacation home in Cabo San Lucas, and
that's what he told me is SOP for foreigners, that is, non-Mexicans.

--
Stefan Patric

I think you are correct Stefan, I had looked into this a few years ago, a
nice reference site on the matter:

http://www.loretobay.com/buying_home.html

Rich

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Sierra Vista
had great economic growth during the same period.

What kinda jobs are available in Sierra Vista?
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Peter D. Tillman

In article ,
metchikabool wrote:

Peter: where do you live near Santa Fe? I live in Eldorado. btw, I
have found what I think is the best route between Santa Fe and Tucson,
via Socorro, Magdalena, Datil, Reserve, Mule Creek, Safford, AZ, etc.
It's about the same drive time as the interstates, and a lot prettier.

In Eldorado too, in fact, though we're moving to San Marcos in a couple
of years.

I drove your route last trip, and caught excellent poppy-fields near
Safford & Clifton. Though I found it quite a bit slower than the fwy
route (perhaps because I kept stopping to look at flowers g)

Cheers -- Pete Tillman
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Rich

wrote in message
Sierra Vista
had great economic growth during the same period.

What kinda jobs are available in Sierra Vista?

I have no idea currently. My jobs were at Ft Huachuca.

Rich

Old April 14th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Brian

(paul) wrote:

- tending toward liberal politics
- potential for regional economic growth

Isn't that an oxymoron?