LHR international arrival confusion

Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_4_]

Default LHR international arrival confusion

In the last episode of , Mark Carroll
said:

Thank you very much to you and others for explaining. Hopefully they
have an easy corrective route for those who followed "flight
connections" not realizing this! (It would be an easy mistake to make
given how, coming to the US and connecting domestically, one gets quite
used to picking up one's bag in flight connections, for port-of-entry
customs reasons.)

The key here is that the port-of-entry to the US was in Toronto, after
that you were US-domestic for the rest of your journey.

Unfortunately that's a complicated enough concept that most airline
officials probably won't try and explain it to your average traveler
since it holds up the check-in line. Sad but true :/

--
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In the last episode of , Mark Carroll
said:

"Graham Harrison" writes:
(snip)
Something doesn't feel right in my explanation but based on what I see on
the Toronto Pearson airport website
http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx that seems to be the process.

Yes -- admittedly, I don't recall what happened with customs, but I
think I had a Halifax - Boston flight that had me do the US immigration
bit in Halifax on the way out, which was a surprise.

It's actually a bit of a treat, since the US authorities don't have the
opportunity to detain you without access to a lawyer or any of the other
fun and games that US authorities like to claim they can do in the
civil-rights-free-zone of the border, and if they allow to proceed you
regain (some of) your legal rights, otherwise since you're actually on
Canadian soil, Canadian laws will protect you from unreasonable
detention (although you won't be able to proceed on your journey)

--
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fritz Wuehler[_10_]

Doesn't work like that when you are flying to a point behind a US
gateway. For instance London/Chicago/Denver will have a tag saying
LHR/ORD/DEN but you have to collect the bag at ORD, go through
immigration then customs and, as you exit customs recheck the bag
with your domestic carrier.

But "Anonymous" was (if I understand him correctly) doing something
like London/Toronto/Denver/Butte. He says 2 airline staff told him
to collect the bag at Denver (1st US point) then recheck for Butte
but his bag never appeared at Denver and it appeared at Butte.

Indeed. The itinerary was Europe to Canada to US, and the US had two
intl airports (which I won't reveal for privacy). There was a
"pre-screening" in Toronto, where US ICE was operating in Canada,
where they collected my US landing card and asked the typical
questions, only this time without the check-on luggage in my
possession. They showed a digital photo of my check-on, and asked if
that was my bag. I said "yup", and they sent me on my way.

I thought that since they called it a pre-screening, that I would
still need to do more with customs further along the route, but that
never happened.

Old February 28th, 2014, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

Default YYZ prescreening, was LHR international arrival confusion

Indeed. The itinerary was Europe to Canada to US, and the US had two
intl airports (which I won't reveal for privacy). There was a
"pre-screening" in Toronto, where US ICE was operating in Canada,
where they collected my US landing card and asked the typical
questions, only this time without the check-on luggage in my
possession. They showed a digital photo of my check-on, and asked if
that was my bag. I said "yup", and they sent me on my way.

I thought that since they called it a pre-screening, that I would
still need to do more with customs further along the route, but that
never happened.

Nope, that was the customs inspection. Most US airports have no
immigration or customs facilities, and there is no provision for
customs inspection separate from immigration. As soon as you were
precleared in Toronto, you and your luggage were for all practical
purposes in the United States.

If the customs people in Toronto have questions about your luggage,
they can send you to secondary inspection where they physically
retrieve your bags and insepct them, but they almost never do.

As I think I mentioned in a previous message, flights from Canada to
the US have been prescreened since the 1950s so there is really no
excuse for airline staff not knowing about it.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In the last episode of , John Levine
said:

[...]

It's also worth noting that you are legally admitted to the US at this
point, which means you cannot be detained without access to a lawyer or
searched without cause on immigration grounds -- This is one of the huge
perks of flying into the US at a pre-clearance location, as it avoids
stepping into the rights-free zone where you have no rights at all.

--
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.