insunrace

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default insunrace

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 10:18 pm, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:
wrote in message

So pray tell, are
there any such items and - if so - what are some specific examples?

good god don't answer the question....

the next thing you know, he is going to ask you to go the supermarket
and send scans of th labels to prove it to be true...

then he is going to want to know step by step how you got to the
supermarket......

Well, guess what, folks - here's Chuckie. Still trying to figure out the
difference between public and private/non-public phone numbers, are you
now
Chuckie? Haven't heard from you on this particular issue/question at
all,
at all, at all. And, of course, so you are still ducking this
issue/question - stuck as you are in the Alvin Toda mantra of "usage
determines meaning" as per your own personal and so very unique - you not
being able to reference any kind of standard dictionary definition - use
of
"public."

Quack, quack!

no, I;m not realy trying to figure it out.....

I am tyring to figure out why you cant grasp the concept of a number,
which is avialable to everyone, but can only be found by those who
know where to look....

in theory, any number which is written down and listed in any sort of
directory, which a person can access, without a password or interior
knowledge, is public....

sorry if that isnt the dictionary definition, but sometimes you have
to think outside the box, and use your own common sense.....

What a nicely done recap of the Alvin Toda "usage determines meaning" mantra
in avoiding/ducking the issue - never mind standard dictionary definitions
of a word...the word means exactly what Chuckie wants it to mean, no more
and no less. As Carroll said -

"When *I* use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it
means just I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you *can* make words mean so many
different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Quack, quack!

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 10:21 pm, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:
"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
......in Markham Ontario bear
only Chinese labels, then - yes - I would be surprised. So pray tell,
are there any such items and - if so - what are some specific
examples?

Tons - just go into a TnT supermarket and you will be inundated with
Chinese-only labels. I don't have any here in MY cupboard to site for
obvious reasons. ;-)

And the very same items are labeled with both English and French in
British
Columbia and Alberta on the one hand and in only French in Quebec?
Wonder
of wonders! No wonder you Canucks find things so challenging up there!

we have a couple of stores here where everything is chinese
only.....chinese grocery stores....there is an italian place where 90%
of the stuff is direct italian...

Chuckie - of course - misses the key point entirely and goes wandering off
topic chasing after a red herring. Inasmuch as Chuckie needs everything
spelled step by step...he - even with his masters degree - loses focus ever
so easily, as he has here...hold on to your hat as here we go.....

Step one. Hie yourself to any such store in Canada that has an item - any
item - labeled in Chinese only. Markham in Ontario is suggested as one
such locale. The only requirement is that this same item be available in
stores both in Quebec and in British Columbia.

Step two. Take a close look at said item and remember what it is.

Step three. Hie yourself to any store in British Columbia that has this
same item, only the item must now be labeled in English and French....no
Chinese. Got that?

Step four. Finally, hie yourself to any store in Quebec that has this same
item, only now the item must be labeled only in French...no English, no
Chinese. Got that?

Congratulations! Just as I have found the same item labeled in English and
French in British Columbia to be labeled only in French in Quebec, you have
found the same item labeled only in English and French in British Columbia,
only in French in Quebec, and only in Chinese in - say - Markham, Ontario.
And precisely what, Chuckie, might this one exactly same item so variously
labeled be?

Old January 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
......in Markham Ontario bear
only Chinese labels, then - yes - I would be surprised. So pray tell,
are there any such items and - if so - what are some specific examples?

Tons - just go into a TnT supermarket and you will be inundated with
Chinese-only labels. I don't have any here in MY cupboard to site for
obvious reasons. ;-)

And the very same items are labeled with both English and French in British
Columbia and Alberta on the one hand and in only French in Quebec? Wonder
of wonders! No wonder you Canucks find things so challenging up there!

we have a couple of stores here where everything is chinese
only.....chinese grocery stores....there is an italian place where 90%
of the stuff is direct italian...

We have Asian stores in the USA like that. In Daly City CA we
lived not far from two Asian supermarkets. But... to be on sale
in the USA the products must have an ingredients list in English.
That's the only way I knew what some of the stuff was, although
that wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped.

Old January 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

wrote:
"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message

.. .

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
[...]

did anyone say anything about the same products beign in chinese in
marham and english/french everywhere else? No just you.

Here is a question, if financing is made available to the public, but
you need to qualify under certain terms, does that then make the
financing private since not everyone can qualify?

Chuck
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
[...]

Chuckie, Chuckie, Chuckie - don't you with that masters degree of yours ever
understand that which you yourself read? Go to my initial post of Jan 3,
2008 1:56pm and all my subsequent posts thereafter. You will find - if you
do indeed understand what you read - that the focus is on the Canadian
phenomenon of having the same item labeled in English and French in British
Columbia and in only French in Quebec...the very same item; e.g., a can of
Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. You and others have introduced the red
herring of items labeled only in Chineses....completely off topic from this
phenomenon. So my challenge to you and those others is to show how your
citation of items labeled only in Chinese is consistent with this
phenomenon. If you can, then you are on topic and we readers have learned
yet another thing Canadian. And if you can't, then you indeed are again no
more than proffering yet another of your red herrings....as you are yet once
more with your financing question on this thread of the exact same thing
labeled differently in different parts of Canada. Didn't you learn while
getting that masters of yours to be on topic and stay focused?

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

noone siad anything about stuff in chinese also found in othe rplaces
in french/english. Just you.

everyoen knows in ethnic neighborhoods that things can be found in the
local language of whatever the store is selling.

get it?

duh.

Chuck
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote in message
noone siad anything about stuff in chinese also found in othe rplaces
in french/english. Just you.

everyoen knows in ethnic neighborhoods that things can be found in the
local language of whatever the store is selling.

Chuckie still off topic as usual and once more avoiding/evading the issue at
hand. Clearly he hasn't at all yet read my initial post of Jan 3, 2008
1:56pm and all my subsequent posts thereafter...and this despite in my
of this thread without having the foggiest idea of what is the topic of this
particular discussion. The issue, of course, is...yet once more for
Chuckie's benefit (it is very clear that he still does not get it)...not
ethnic neighborhoods but the phenomenon in Canada of finding the exact same
thing labeled on the one hand in British Columbia and Alberta in English and
French and and on the other hand in Quebec only in French. Chuckie can put
whatever spin with what he says, but that phenomenon is the topic at
hand...not financing, not ethnic neighborhoods, not any other red herring
Chuckie decides to toss into the discussion. Chinese labeling comes up
because of the comments by Chuckie (Jan 4 , 2008 at 8:53pm) and
TheNewsGuy(Mike) (Jan 4, 2008 at 2:14 am and Jan 4,
2008 at 12:41pm) and TheNewsGuy(Mike) in his Jan 4,
2008 2:14am post brought up Markham, Ontario...I eagerly await an
explanation from either of them of how items labeled in Chinese are
similarly labeled differently in different parts of Canada as per this
phenomenon. Such an explanation, I daresay, would be very much on topic to
this discussion.

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

It was an observation.

Someone noted english/french in BC.

Someone else noted french only in Quebec.

Someone else noted chinese in marham

Why do you make everythign difficult?

Are you as boring to talk to in person as you are with the written
word?
God help your family at dinner, they probablyc ant wait to get away
from you.

Chirp!! Chirp!!

Old January 6th, 2008, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote in message
It was an observation.

Someone noted english/french in BC.

Someone else noted french only in Quebec.

Someone else noted chinese in marham

Why do you make everythign difficult?

Are you as boring to talk to in person as you are with the written
word?
God help your family at dinner, they probablyc ant wait to get away
from you.

ah yes...Chuckie with the ad hominem. Always a good refuge for him when
avoiding/ducking the issue/question. Note Chuckie's rather inept parsing in
his attempt to recap the topic at hand:

1. "Someone noted english/french in BC."
I was that someone in my initial post of Jan 3, 2008 1:56pm.

2. "Someone else noted french only in Quebec."
Not true, Chuckie....that someone was again I - in that same post of Jan 3,
2008 1:56pm. As I have previously pointed out, Chuckie gives every evidence
at each and every opportunity to show all of us how he does not understand
that which he reads. This is yet another such instance. And I not only
made these observations, I also pointed out the phenomenon whereby the very
same item bore the different language labeling in the different places; to
wit, my Jan 3, 2008 1:56 post in full -

"Now that brings up an interesting point. I've made a number of trips to
Canada, the early ones to Bristish Columbia and Alberta. Strolling along
the grocery shelves, I was amused to find that each and every labeled item
had both English and French descriptions/writings. Clearly, thought I, the
influence of the French in Canada...even though I heard no French
spoken...truly the mark of a bilingual country.

"Then I some years later happened to visit Quebec province and took a
similar stroll in the groceries there. Lo and behold - the same items
labeled in both English and French in the wesern provinces were labeled only
in French! So - what gives? A dual standard? "

Now, Chuckie, should there in fact be someone here who prior to Jan 3,
1:56pm made these observations and pointed out this phenomenon...then by all
means please cite that person and his/her post(s) with date/time.

3. "Someone else noted chinese in marham"
That would be TheNewsGuy(Mike) in his Jan 4, 2008
2:14am post. And Chuckie himself joined the Chinese labeling in his own
post Jan 4 , 2008 at 8:53pm.

Chuckie's attempt to recap with his parsing is pathetically inept -
particularly for someone purportedly with a masters degree - for the
following reasons:

a. He does not cite the person making each of the three observations he
references, much less the date and time of that observation.

b. He has his facts wrong - the person making the first and second
observations was one and the same....me. Do note that had he cited the
person making each of the three observations, he would have readily seen for
himself that I was the person making these two observations.

c. He entirely omitted the key issue - namely, that the very same item (eg,
a can of Campbell Chicken Noodle soup) is labeled in both English and French
in the western provinces and in French only in Quebec.

And, of course, Chuckie ended with his ad hominem, all the while
ducking/avoidance the issue as per whether the same item labeled in Chinese
is similarly labeled differently in different parts of Canada. At least
this time around, Chuckie has not strewn about red herrings as per financing
and ethnic neighborhoods. But...but...do make note of the abysmal failure
on Chuckie's part to understand that the key issue is that of the exact same
item having different language labels in different parts in Canada, his
recap having no comment whatever on this issue.

Old January 6th, 2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

1. "Someone noted english/french in BC."
I was that someone in my initial post of Jan 3, 2008 1:56pm.

Is that incorrect? I think you have provided the proof that someone
wrote that they saw english and french labels while in BC.

2. "Someone else noted french only in Quebec."

Was it mentioned by anyone that they saw labels in french only while
in quebec? Yes, that was said. Okay, so it was within the same
post. Pardon me for probably reading it as a paste in another post.

3. "Someone else noted chinese in marham"
That would be TheNewsGuy(Mike) in his Jan 4, 2008
2:14am post.

At this point, it is mentioned that in a particular neighborhood, all
labels are in chinese. Are you saying this is inaccurate?

a. He does not cite the person making each of the three observations he
references, much less the date and time of that observation.

he doesnt feel the need to cite every single line by everysingle
person. We all read newsgroups, we dont need cites for mundane posts.

b. He has his facts wrong - the person making the first and second
observations was one and the same....me. Do note that had he cited the
person making each of the three observations, he would have readily seen for
himself that I was the person making these two observations.

good god!!! I made an error. IS it so important?

c. He entirely omitted the key issue - namely, that the very same item (eg,
a can of Campbell Chicken Noodle soup) is labeled in both English and French
in the western provinces and in French only in Quebec.

No, I warned Newsguy not to answer your question. As it turns out,
he simply said there were lots of chinese labels. Named 2 stores I
think. He did nto say either way whether they did or did not sell the
same products would be in english elsewhere.

And, of course, Chuckie ended with his ad hominem, all the while
ducking/avoidance the issue as per whether the same item labeled in Chinese
is similarly labeled differently in different parts of Canada. At least
this time around, Chuckie has not strewn about red herrings as per financing
and ethnic neighborhoods. But...but...do make note of the abysmal failure
on Chuckie's part to understand that the key issue is that of the exact same
item having different language labels in different parts in Canada, his
recap having no comment whatever on this issue.

I never adressed the labeling issue in BC/Quebec. I simply said we
have a chinese store here. At this point you got upset that I made
fun of your anal need to have everything documented and covered when I
posted to mike he should avoid your question. I never said you could
or couldn't find anything in english. I didnt miss the point of
anything. I made a simple statement.

Then as if on cue, you put this forward:
[...]

And by the way, the public finance thing....you figure that out
yet...public assistance programs, heating assistance for example, is
available to the public, but you must meet certain conditions to
qualify......how could this possibly be public if only certain people
can get it? Wouldnt it have to be called private assistance?