Time to say goodbye!

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:32 PM
The Bill Mattocks

Default Time to say goodbye!

Folks:

For some years, I've enjoyed being an occasional participant on
rec.travel.air, and posting trip reports and stories that I hope you
found amusing or entertaining - it sure helped me deal with the stress
of being a road warrior, on the road non-stop to the tune of 100,000+
miles per year.

I've posted somewhat less in the last year or so, as I've spent even
less time at home or being able to relax with my laptop while on the
road, and of course as many have noticed, the tenor of r.t.a. has
changed - there are more trolls, more anger, less humor. Many of the
other 'regulars' have gone away due to this. I didn't stop reading
r.t.a., but I held off jumping into debates that I normally would have
greatly enjoyed skirmishing in.

I've recently reached the place where it was time to make a change.
The continued stresses of air travel in a post-9/11 world, continued
and advancing intrusions into my (our) personal privacy, and the
general business climate (more travel, spend less money doing it, etc)
have combined to make me finally decide that its time to hang up my
rubber chicken and move on.

I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

I have no doubt that I'll miss the travel, as I'll miss posting on
r.t.a. But the one thing that is constant is change. Who knows what
life holds? Perhaps in time I'll find myself on the road again. But
for now, that part of my life is over, and so to, my semi-regular
posts on r.t.a.

I wish you all safe travels, good restaurants, working rental cars, no
missed connections, non-metallic shoes, and TSA agents on Prozac.
Lots of it.

Thanks for putting up with my rants, nonsense, diatribes, and
ill-humour over the past six or seven years!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old March 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Ramon Miquel

Bill, you will certainly be missed. If you have more time in your hands
now, maybe you can consider putting together a book with your most
memorable posts here! ;-)

So long, Ramon

Old March 1st, 2004, 07:25 PM
Miss L. Toe

I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

I have no doubt that I'll miss the travel,

You'd better believe it - you cant get rid of the travel bug that easilly -
I'll give you 6 months at the most - then you'll be yearning for it again.

Good Luck.

Old March 1st, 2004, 09:06 PM
Mikko Peltoniemi

The Bill Mattocks wrote:

I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

Hey, can I get your (old) job? Just kidding. I hope you don't fade
away altogether from this group, though I know it's sometimes hard to
find intelligent life in here. Your posts were always the ones to read.

But good luck to you anywyay, we'll be missing you.

--
Mikko Peltoniemi
Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician at large.
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:30 PM
justme

"Mikko Peltoniemi" wrote in message
The Bill Mattocks wrote:

I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

Hey, can I get your (old) job? Just kidding. I hope you don't fade
away altogether from this group, though I know it's sometimes hard to
find intelligent life in here. Your posts were always the ones to read.

But good luck to you anywyay, we'll be missing you.

--
Mikko Peltoniemi
Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician at large.
http://editor.is.dreaming.org

Hey Bill check in now and then and keep that laptop going...we will miss you
here and keep smiling when you read our dumb questions about life in Asia.

Old March 1st, 2004, 10:06 PM
nobody

The Bill Mattocks wrote:
I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

Good luck on your endeavours, your posts over the years had been very
appreciated. And we were so looking forward to your being "fined" by the TSA
because of your rubber chicken and attitude and seing how it would all turn
out :-) ;-)

As for the 9-to-5 job, good luck finding one. I take it you will relocate, or
will you decide to take roots in your current city ?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:47 AM
The Bill Mattocks

nobody wrote in message ...
The Bill Mattocks wrote:
I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

Good luck on your endeavours, your posts over the years had been very
appreciated. And we were so looking forward to your being "fined" by the TSA
because of your rubber chicken and attitude and seing how it would all turn
out :-) ;-)

As for the 9-to-5 job, good luck finding one. I take it you will relocate, or
will you decide to take roots in your current city ?

I believe that my wife and I will be relocating shortly, to a secure
undisclosed location. I realize that it's madness to leave a
good-paying job in this economic climate without already having
another, but I remain hopeful.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Robert Browne

nobody wrote in message

The Bill Mattocks wrote:
I've resigned my position with the firm I worked for, and am no longer
seeking employment as a traveling consultant/road warrior. I'm
looking for the daily nine-to-five gig instead, something that leaves
me home in the evenings and on weekends.

Bill,
Sorry to see you go. Your rants, trip reports, etc. are one of the reasons I
have stayed here for so long as the newsgroup has become almost worthless. I
spend mote time kill filing things tan I do reading. I just may follow you.
Good luck, and don't ever lose your sense of humor.
Bob

Old March 1st, 2004, 10:31 PM
S Viemeister

The Bill Mattocks wrote:

Folks:

For some years, I've enjoyed being an occasional participant on
rec.travel.air, and posting trip reports and stories that I hope you
found amusing or entertaining - it sure helped me deal with the stress
of being a road warrior, on the road non-stop to the tune of 100,000+
miles per year.

(snip)

You will be missed.
When your book of travel essays is published, please announce it here!