planning a month is Oz

Old June 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Hiram

Default planning a month is Oz

I've been thinking month long stay in Oz.

I've just inherited a small amount of cash, which hopefully I'm going to
use to visit Oz and NZ this year.

I quite enjoy roughing it to be honest, I don't want anything fancy, I'd
be happy to use a tent.

I'd quite like to, either hire a camper, or, hire a car and drive from
Perth to Brisbane. Driving the distance isn't an issues for me, I drive
a truck all day long.

Or, do the same road trip via bas or train.

Am I right in thinking I can get a visa waiver as I'm from the UK?

Do I need a place organised for my first night in Oz, as you do when you
fly to the US?

I'm going to mainly use credit cards to pay for things, I can draw cash
(maybe expensive) on my CC. I will take a small amount of A$, but I
don't like to have too much on me.

Any other suggestions, or something I've forgot?

TIA
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:37:38 +0100, Hiram wrote:

[...]

Backpacking isn't my hting but a couple of observations. The train
across Australia takes several days, driving more so. look at the cost
of fuel (and the paucity of destinations) and you will see that flying
is the only way to get from Perth to damn near anywhere.

Get you Aussie dollars on arrival at the airport from an ATM, draw it
directly from your checking (Hey, I'm a Yank we spell things funny) to
save on the cc interest fees.

You get a ETA (electronic travel authority) for $20AUS on line.

The Electronic Travel Authority for Australian Tourist Visas is the
most advanced and streamlined visa authorisation system in the world.
The ETA replaces visa labels or stamps and removes the need for
application forms. The Australian ETA is an electronically stored
authorisation for travel to Australia, meaning you don't need paper
documentation or a stamp in your passport.
Click Here to Apply Online for your Australian ETA Tourist Visa
Tourist Visa Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

An ETA Tourist Visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 3 months
on each arrival within 12 months from the date the visa was granted.

* The ETA differs from traditional visas in that there are no
application forms to fill in and no visa label or stamp in the
passport.
* The ETA is available to passport holders from Australian
Government specified countries and regions. To apply for an ETA
(Visitor), you must be outside Australia and hold a passport issued by
an ETA-eligible country or region (see below for the full list).
* You must apply for your ETA with the passport and passport
number you will be travelling to Australia with; the visa is linked to
this number. If your passport is lost/stolen or replaced before you
travel to Australia, you will be required to re-apply for an ETA visa.

Click Here For Your ETA Tourist Visa
ETA Eligible Countries

The following passport holders are able to access Australia's
Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) issuing system online.

ETA Eligible Countries
The following passport holders can be issued an ETA Visa online:
Andorra Austria Belgium Brunei Canada
Denmark Finland France Germany Greece
Hong Kong (SAR) Iceland Ireland Italy Japan
Liechtenstein Luxembourg Malaysia Malta Monaco
The Netherlands Norway Portugal Republic of San Marino
Singapore
South Korea Spain Sweden Switzerland Taiwan*
United Kingdom (British Citizen) United Kingdom (Overseas)**
United States of America Vatican City
* Holders of Taiwan passports can only be processed for an ETA if
resident in and applying in Taiwan.
** Holders of UK passports which indicate their nationality to be
British National (Overseas) can only be processed for an ETA if
resident in and applying in Hong Kong.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

I'd quite like to, either hire a camper, or, hire a car and drive from
Perth to Brisbane. Driving the distance isn't an issues for me, I drive a
truck all day long.

http://www.apollocamper.com/

We rented from these guys..good prices, sometimes GREAT if they want some
vehicles "returned" to their home office.
Also have "cheapa" cars..about 4 years old, in good shape for considrably
less that renting a NEW one. Also good ONE WAY rates (no "penalty")
We used them when available. They also have locations in NZ.

You'll want car insurance. We NEVER buy the insurance from the rental
outfit..its often almost as much as the rental. Try and arrange insurance
from "home"-perhaps your house/car insurance carrier can set something up.
When we went to OZ, we had coverage on our "Signature" level Visa card. I
contacted VISA in advance and they assured me I had full rental car coverage
"built in" to my Visa card. Saved $$

I'm going to mainly use credit cards to pay for things, I can draw cash
(maybe expensive) on my CC. I will take a small amount of A$, but I don't
like to have too much on me.

I 'd never take Cash Advances on my CC..We went for 6 weeks. Used our
Credit Union ATM card (No fees) at Aussie Credit unions to take out $AU.
Never use the exchange booths at airports..they re a rip off !

Any other suggestions, or something I've forgot?

Take a good quality FLY SWATTER (or two) They don't sell them over there
and the flies are very annoying.
Nextime, I'd consider replacing one piece of my luggage with a
"cooler"..just stuff my clothes inside(and take a folded up nylon bag for
the clothes on arrival) for the flight (make sure it doesnt exceed the
Airline baggage size requirements) Coolers ("Esky") are quite expensive
over there and usually get left behind for the return trip.

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

I've just inherited a small amount of cash, which hopefully I'm going to
use to visit Oz and NZ this year.

Am I right in thinking I can get a visa waiver as I'm from the UK?

You can get a Visa "online" from the Aus Government site

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

Dont get "tricked" by other, more costly "private-for profit" websites

Do I need a place organised for my first night in Oz, as you do when you
fly to the US?

Its my understanding that nearly ALL the flights to the major Ports of Entry
in AUS arrive in the EARLY AM having flown "overnight"
...such were all the options that I checked into

Old June 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Hiram

Cheers Joseph for the info. I will apply for an ETA Tourist Visa in the
next few days.

I've, until now, always liked to draw cash on my credit card abroad, its
safe, and not my money if something goes wrong at the ATM. Even thought
it is more expensive. Maybe I will change that this time.

I guessed the train would take a long time, I've used Amtrak a lot in
the US, and they aren't that quick either. I'm in no real hurry. I
just love to travel and see things, its all part of the experience for me.

To use an Aussie colloquialism, no worries on checking vs chequeing. I
knew what you meant.
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:43:16 +0100, Hiram wrote:

Cheers Joseph for the info. I will apply for an ETA Tourist Visa in the
next few days.

I've, until now, always liked to draw cash on my credit card abroad, its
safe, and not my money if something goes wrong at the ATM. Even thought
it is more expensive. Maybe I will change that this time.

I guessed the train would take a long time, I've used Amtrak a lot in
the US, and they aren't that quick either. I'm in no real hurry. I
just love to travel and see things, its all part of the experience for me.

To use an Aussie colloquialism, no worries on checking vs chequeing. I
knew what you meant.

:-)

More on the train. 3 nights each way Perth to Sydney. Sydney up to
Cairns will run another 48 hours or more (it is from experience 24
from Brisbane to Townsville) The adelaide to Sydney and Sydney north
will have more to see. Note that the worlds longest straight stretch
of rail is on the Perth run at 478 kilometers. for more see
http://www.gsr.com.au/our-trains/ind...he-journey.php
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Hiram

Rudy,

Thanks for the tips. I will enquire about car insurance this end, never
really thought about doing that. I will check with my VISA card
supplied and see what deals they have.

Not sure they sell fly swatters here either to be honest, this is a cold
country.
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Hiram

Joseph Coulter wrote:

More on the train. 3 nights each way Perth to Sydney.

I like that idea a lot, I've done similar in the US, so I'd feel
comfortable with the situation. I'd take my time doing the trip and
stop off on the way.. I wonder if I can get a rail pass?

Answering my own question, yes they do.

http://www.gsr.com.au/travel-advice/rail-passes.php

Seems quite cheap too.
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
MI

On 6/28/09 11:43 AM, in article , "Hiram"
wrote:

Cheers Joseph for the info. I will apply for an ETA Tourist Visa in the
next few days.

I've, until now, always liked to draw cash on my credit card abroad, its
safe, and not my money if something goes wrong at the ATM. Even thought
it is more expensive. Maybe I will change that this time.

I guessed the train would take a long time, I've used Amtrak a lot in
the US, and they aren't that quick either. I'm in no real hurry. I
just love to travel and see things, its all part of the experience for me.

To use an Aussie colloquialism, no worries on checking vs chequeing. I
knew what you meant.

When I went to Australia in 2007 from Canada, I didn't pay for my ETA. The
travel agent gave it to me when I picked up my ticket. No it wasn't hidden.
When I asked about paying for it, she was surprised. Must have been included
in the plane ticket or something.

--
Martha Canada
..

Old June 29th, 2009, 03:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
David Bennetts

"Hiram" wrote in message
Rudy,

Thanks for the tips. I will enquire about car insurance this end, never
really thought about doing that. I will check with my VISA card supplied
and see what deals they have.

Not sure they sell fly swatters here either to be honest, this is a cold
country.

Try cars from www.driveaway.com.au They have an insurance excess waiver
plan at $5 a day. I've found them considerably cheaper than going direct to
the major companies and with more inclusions such as second driver and
airport hire surcharge at no extra cost. Have used them for world-wide car
hire.

Use bank ATMs for your money, some of the ones found in clubs, stores etc
may charge an extra fee.

As far as fly-swats go, you can buy them at virtually any supermarket. And
for sand flies, mosquitos and the like the local product Aeroguard does the
trick.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia