Spring Break road trip with four-year-old - Advice please

Old February 17th, 2004, 12:17 AM
RWiersema

Default Spring Break road trip with four-year-old - Advice please

Greetings all
My wife and I are planning to take our four yo son on a road trip over
spring break. We'll be coming from Victoria BC, and our plan is to:
bomb down the I-5,
stopping two nights en route to San Francisco,
then spending 3 nights in SF before heading north,
up the California coast,
over to the 101 for the Avenue of the Giants,
up the Oregon Coast
then bombing through Washington state to catch the Coho from Port
Angeles home...

We've got 9.5 days... Does anyone have any suggestions, warnings or
advice for us? Places to stay, things to see, changes to our route or
schedule? Thanks in advance,
Rob

Old February 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM
fishman

"RWiersema" wrote in message
news:1g999ur.i7u5rp1jafx2aN%robertwiersema@hot**** androckinmail.com...
Greetings all
My wife and I are planning to take our four yo son on a road trip over
spring break. We'll be coming from Victoria BC, and our plan is to:
bomb down the I-5,
stopping two nights en route to San Francisco,
then spending 3 nights in SF before heading north,
up the California coast,
over to the 101 for the Avenue of the Giants,
up the Oregon Coast
then bombing through Washington state to catch the Coho from Port
Angeles home...

We've got 9.5 days... Does anyone have any suggestions, warnings or
advice for us? Places to stay, things to see, changes to our route or
schedule? Thanks in advance,
Rob

Nothing about your itinerary but I know about car trips and 4-year olds. Be
very flexible. Stop often and RUN that child often - he'll get antsy just
sitting strapped in the car and needs to get the wiggles out. We used to
have them race across the grass at the rest stops in the picnic area. Bring
lots of NEW activities for him - books, puzzles, coloring books with a box
to put the crayons in so they don't melt on the seat (we tried markers -
tops off makes worse mess; coloring pencils always have to be sharpened),
plus let him choose one or two toys from home. Keep a small cooler with
juices, water and healthy snacks, then let him buy a small bag of candy or
cookies at occasional rest stops so he feels like he is getting special
privilege. Get him involved in planning so that he knows what to expect -
explain a little about what you'll visit, explain a hotel room if he hasn't
seen one before, explain table manners in restaurants, be sure to explain
that he NEVER leaves you or wanders off. If possible, let him choose one or
two of the places you'll visit. Just be aware of his moods and be prepared
to let him rest when he wears out. Take his regular medicines in case of
illness - finding a place to buy a thermometer and children's Tylenol in a
strange city at 3 a.m. isn't fun.

Have a great time!

Chris

Old February 17th, 2004, 03:51 AM
alohacyberian

"RWiersema" wrote in message
news:1g999ur.i7u5rp1jafx2aN%robertwiersema@hot**** androckinmail.com...
Greetings all
My wife and I are planning to take our four yo son on a road trip over
spring break. We'll be coming from Victoria BC, and our plan is to:
bomb down the I-5,
stopping two nights en route to San Francisco,
then spending 3 nights in SF before heading north,
up the California coast,
over to the 101 for the Avenue of the Giants,
up the Oregon Coast
then bombing through Washington state to catch the Coho from Port
Angeles home...

We've got 9.5 days... Does anyone have any suggestions, warnings or
advice for us? Places to stay, things to see, changes to our route or
schedule? Thanks in advance,
Rob

Sounds like a superb itinerary to me! In some ways its a rough age for a four
year old depending on his disposition - make sure he gets plenty of sleep and
avoid too many fluids unless you stop alot for calls of nature! But, it will
be a great adventure for him as well as you will be travelling to a lot of
things he should enjoy. You'll probably enjoy the Redwoods along the way on
the coast and I highly recommend the drive up Mt. Tamalpias just north of San
Francisco and San Rafael via Mill Valley or the and return the coast route
via Stinson Beach or vice-versa. Bon voyage! KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old February 19th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Robert Wiersema

RJ wrote:

Leave the 4yo with Gramma,
and have a great honeymoon/vacation.

Gramma'll love it, and you will too !

Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.
My wife and I make a point of having our child as part of our lives,
rather than palming him off on someone whenever we have a little time
off. When we go out for dinner, he goes out for dinner - as a result,
he's learned proper restaurant manners, is quiet, respectful and doesn't
make a mess. When we go on vacation, he goes on vacation - as a result,
he's learned proper travel manners, is quiet and occupied on flights
and knows how to behave in hotels -- lobbies, elevators and rooms.
We've been able to share some wonderful experiences with him -- from his
first Broadway show last summer to hours spent at the Met, trips to zoos
and Children's museums across the US. We wouldn't trade those
experiences, and the growth we've seen in him as a result, for
anything...
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM
fishman

"Robert Wiersema" wrote in message
news:1g9em2p.11ykkyb1lcb53qN%rwiersema@nobolenspam .bc.ca...
RJ wrote:

[...]

Laudable - but remember - in 14 years, barring other children, you will be
again 'just' a couple. It is not a sin to have some 'marriage time' - that
also teaches your child something - that mommy & daddy's relationship has a
very special place in their life. That will help him place proper
precedence in his own relationships as he gets older. If it's not this trip,
that's fine - but consider it in the future. Happy couples make happy
parents.

Chris

Old February 19th, 2004, 10:06 PM
PTRAVEL

RJ wrote:

Leave the 4yo with Gramma,
and have a great honeymoon/vacation.

Gramma'll love it, and you will too !

Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.
My wife and I make a point of having our child as part of our lives,
rather than palming him off on someone whenever we have a little time
off. When we go out for dinner, he goes out for dinner - as a result,
he's learned proper restaurant manners, is quiet, respectful and doesn't
make a mess. When we go on vacation, he goes on vacation - as a result,
he's learned proper travel manners, is quiet and occupied on flights
and knows how to behave in hotels -- lobbies, elevators and rooms.
We've been able to share some wonderful experiences with him -- from his
first Broadway show

I assume it was one of the Disney offerings. As a rule, Broadway theaters
don't admit children under 4.

Old February 19th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Robert Wiersema

RJ wrote:

[...]

Oh, sure - I'm certainly not averse to some quailty marriage time, but
if we've got an opportunity for a nine day trip with the whole family,
the alternative never even occurred to me.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Robert Wiersema

RJ wrote:

Leave the 4yo with Gramma,
and have a great honeymoon/vacation.

Gramma'll love it, and you will too !

Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.
My wife and I make a point of having our child as part of our lives,
rather than palming him off on someone whenever we have a little time
off. When we go out for dinner, he goes out for dinner - as a result,
he's learned proper restaurant manners, is quiet, respectful and doesn't
make a mess. When we go on vacation, he goes on vacation - as a result,
he's learned proper travel manners, is quiet and occupied on flights
and knows how to behave in hotels -- lobbies, elevators and rooms.
We've been able to share some wonderful experiences with him -- from his
first Broadway show

I assume it was one of the Disney offerings. As a rule, Broadway theaters
don't admit children under 4.

Don't assume. Last summer he was a month shy of his fourth birthday
when we hit New York, and had no problem taking him to a half dozen or
so Bwy shows, including 42nd Street, Hairspray, Thoroughly Modern Millie
and, yes, Beauty and the Beast. BaTB, by the way, was his least
favourite of the shows that he saw.
And for those of you concerned, he was a little gentleman at each show -
sat still, didn't make a peep during the performance (during which he
was enraptured), and drew raves and praise from the theatre-goers around
us and special attention from a couple of conductors...
Much better behaved than some of the theatre-goers we saw.

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:00 AM
PTRAVEL

"Robert Wiersema" wrote in message
news:1g9esz8.1bigqy3989m6eN%rwiersema@nobolenspam. bc.ca...

RJ wrote:

[...]

Perhaps these shows do, then. Most don't (though I see Hairspray is listed
as "Suitable for teens and adults" and Millie as ("Suitable for children
over 8).

BaTB, by the way, was his least
favourite of the shows that he saw.

He has taste -- I wouldn't consider BaTB theater.

And for those of you concerned, he was a little gentleman at each show -
sat still, didn't make a peep during the performance (during which he
was enraptured), and drew raves and praise from the theatre-goers around
us and special attention from a couple of conductors...

I won't question your characterization of his behavior, though I do wonder
what he might have done to garner all that attention, particularly from the
conductors.

Much better behaved than some of the theatre-goers we saw.

Maybe so, though I've never understood this rationalization.