First Time on Safari to Africa Questions

Old December 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM

PLEASE IGNORE MY PREVIOUS POST (74) ! That was written a while ago and
popped up today - out of context. My apologies.

I am raising the white flag.

I grew up in Africa, I spent most of my time here, I have businesses in
East and South Africa. I spend most of my time between East & Southern
Africa. As a result I see many strange things on safari and even
stranger advice on these boards and I wanted to get the following
points across. I think I did and now will go away happily.

1. The private safari option is more affordable than most want to
believe. In Arusha, Nairobi and other cities one can hire a very
dependable vehicle (with driver/guide) for not much more than the
prices you pay on minibus group tours. This is fact and not fiction. If
you're a single traveler (like me), your driver/guide is great dinner
company and you will have a lifelong friend for future visits.

2. It is easy nowadays to do business from overseas with East and
Southern Africa safari companies. They do it all the time and you will
be in good hands.

3. Compare shop, and do some research before hopping on a packaged
tour. Most of these tours visit the wrong places at the wrong time
while staying in the wrong places.

I admire how Hans is doing it but I simply don't have that confidence!
So I stick with a local driver/guide.
Good luck, Joel. You are doing it the right way!

Old December 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Joel

Liz wrote:

When you do your driving test, do you do it using manual gears?
In the UK, if you do your test in an automatic car, you get a

restricted
licence only to drive automatic cars (or at least that was the case

when I
did my test).

Most Americans drive automatic so there is no distinction between
licenses. As a matter of fact I'd say that unless you buy a sports
model or a 4WD, most passenger vehicles here are automatic. I can
drive a stick shift in a pinch but it would probably be funny watching
me pop the clutch after every stop.

Even worse than that is the driving in Nairobi: it's absolutely

crazy!
Last time we were there ('02), we were told proudly that they were

putting
in roundabouts 'just like in the UK' - well, yes, but they didn't use

themn
like we do: everyone just barged in regardless. Even D. who'd been

driving
since he was 17 and drives on the 'wrong side of the road' in Europe

and US,
wouldn't dream of doing it - even though it's on the 'right' side!

Have you ever driven in Boston :-)

Old December 17th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Joel

Hans-Georg,

I do stand corrected on my assumptions. Incidentally the company I'm
currently working with also suggested a June time frame for a combined
Kenya/Tanzania trip. I wonder of the reduction in Kenya would offset
the higher cost of Tanzania.

Perhaps I will join you in 2006 as well in a convoy. I'd be interested
to see how you do it plus I would not be alone which would take some of
the anxiety out of it.

Please post more information as you get closer, I'm still in 2005 mode
myself.

--Joel

Old December 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 17 Dec 2004 10:54:54 -0800, "Joel"
wrote:

I do stand corrected on my assumptions. Incidentally the company I'm
currently working with also suggested a June time frame for a combined
Kenya/Tanzania trip. I wonder of the reduction in Kenya would offset
the higher cost of Tanzania.

Perhaps I will join you in 2006 as well in a convoy. I'd be interested
to see how you do it plus I would not be alone which would take some of
the anxiety out of it.

Please post more information as you get closer, I'm still in 2005 mode
myself.

Joel,

I'll try to. The core time will be the two weeks after the
Pentecost weekend, I think those are the first two weeks in June
2006. There will probably be a one week extension for early
comers who want to spend three weeks of time.

The travel plan for the two weeks will be similar to
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm .

The final go decision will probably be made around
November-December 2005.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Joel

Just an update on my research. As I mentioned in my last post, I have
been working with a private company (US based) to provide a quote for a
private safari for two in Kenya based on an suggested itinerary that I
put together and to which the company has provided their own input to.
I'd like to post the itinerary for comment and to help guide future
people making the same types of decisions and research.

DAY 1 (9/13/05) - Leave US
DAY 2 - AM arrival @ Heathrow, Evening arrival in Nairobi, transfer to
Nairobi Serena.
DAY 3 - Breakfast, then transfer to Wilson airport and fly to Samburu.
Afternoon game drive, overnight @ Samburu Serena
DAY 4 - AM & PM game drives in Buffalo Springs and
Samburu game reserves. Samburu Serena
DAY 5 - AM & PM game drives in Buffalo Springs and
Samburu game reserves. Samburu Serena
DAY 6 - Breakfast, then slow game drive to reserve gate.
Drive south through Isiolo town to one of the
following properties: Swee****ers tented camp, Mount Kenya Safari Club,
the Ark. (Not yet chosen by me by I like Swee****ers)
DAY 6 - Drive to Lake Nakuru National Park. Afternoon
game drive. Overnight at Lion Hill Lodge or Lake
Nakuru Lodge.
DAY 7 - Morning & afternoon game drives. Overnight.
DAY 8 - Drive to Masai Mara game reserve. Afternoon game drive.
Overnight at Mara Intrepids tented camp or Mara Sarova
tented camp. (I'll probably go with the Mara Sarova to economize)
DAY 9 - Morning & afternoon game drives. Overnight.
DAY 10 - Breakfast, then game drive en route to Mara Serena.
Afternoon game drive. Overnight @ Serena.
DAY 11 - Morning and afternoon game drives. Mara Serena.
DAY 12 (09/24)- Bush Breakfast by the Mara river. Fly to Wilson
airport.
(Fly to Kigali)
Day 13 Gorilla Tracking
Day 14 - Gorilla Tracking
Day 15 - Early morning sightseeing. Transfer from Kigali to Nairobi
Overnight Nairobi
Day 16 Sight see Nairobi, Lunch or dinner Carnivore Restaurant Fly home
on BA

The Gorilla tracking part of the trip will be handled by Volcanoes
Safaris at a price of $1519 per person which includes permits for both
days. I have not yet gotten firm pricing for the first 11 days but an
original 15 day trip which included an extra night in the Mara and
another night at Samburu was around $5,000 per person so their portion
should now be cheaper. According to the tour operator this private
safari package, when priced, will include the international & the
domestic flights in Kenya, all park fees, private services of your
Guide/driver, bed & breakfast in Nairobi, all meals while on safari,
all accommodations as selected after our discussions, the flying doctor
service, tipping of the Guide & of the porters at the hotel and safari
lodges/camps. Any additional expenses would be travel insurance,
tipping of waiters, barmen, room stewards & maids, drinks (except on
game drives).

I'm curious to see what questions and/or comments people have on this.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:32 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 22 Dec 2004 09:21:12 -0800, "Joel"
wrote:

Day 15 - Early morning sightseeing. Transfer from Kigali to Nairobi
Overnight Nairobi
Day 16 Sight see Nairobi, Lunch or dinner Carnivore Restaurant Fly home
on BA

Joel,

a wonderful itinerary. I like it.

The only detail I would try to make different is the one cited
above. I would try to stay for a third day, then fly to Nairobi
in the morning and continue to fly home on the same day.

I personally don't like to spend my last day in Nairobi and move
in and out of yet another hotel.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Liz

In message . com
"Joel" wrote:

The Gorilla tracking part of the trip will be handled by Volcanoes
Safaris at a price of $1519 per person which includes permits for both
days. I have not yet gotten firm pricing for the first 11 days but an
original 15 day trip which included an extra night in the Mara and
another night at Samburu was around $5,000 per person so their portion
should now be cheaper. According to the tour operator this private
safari package, when priced, will include the international & the
domestic flights in Kenya, all park fees, private services of your
Guide/driver, bed & breakfast in Nairobi, all meals while on safari,
all accommodations as selected after our discussions, the flying doctor
service, tipping of the Guide & of the porters at the hotel and safari
lodges/camps.

I heard at the w/e that the US dollar is currently 2 to the UKP, in which
case that's a phenomenal price, considering it includes your flights and the
guide's tip.

The benefits of being able to travel off-season!

Safari njema

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos